Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · One more crack at monitors

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · One more crack at monitors

Sorry - I need to get a monitor to hook up to my macbook pro within the next week. I've started one and perused most threads on the topic. Just wondering if there are any new models out there that I should consider - when I read reviews, many seem to be from gamers. I'm looking for a 24-ish inch monitor that is $500 or less, unless it is very special..... . At this point it is between Dell and HP models; and I'd love one that is reasonably easy to calibrate! Help!!!

Thanks for your patience on this...
Sharon

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:08 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · One more crack at monitors

Sharon, I can't help you with specific monitors but I recommend that you get one that has a 16:10 ratio instead of the more modern 16:9 ratio because you'll need the extra pixels in the vertical dimension - especially in those smaller monitor sizes like 22-24". Perhaps not so bad on a 30" monitor.

With an x-rite i1 display pro you can easily calibrate and profile any monitor, old or new. Some older calibration hardware (still available) will not handle modern monitors well, if at all. Don't skimp on the calibrator because it affects how you see all of your images and hence how you edit them. There's a cheaper colormunki version that gives the same results at slower speed and lower cost, but don't confuse these things with older models that were less capable and less consistent with different monitors and even with different units of the same model measuring the same monitor.

The Mac OS can happily maintain two separate colour profiles at once and so it can work well with an external monitor on a laptop. Also, more of the OS utilities respond to colour profiles than on a windows computer. You'll notice it as soon as you change a profile.

My preference is for wide gamut monitors and matte (anti-glare) screens, but opinions differ. As is often the case there are pros and cons. Your work environment will influence your choice. How much light is in the room ? Can you control reflections ? Do you mind reflections ? I hate them. Will only you be looking at it ? Will others need to view it from an angle (vertical or horizontal) that may affect colour or tone ?

Try to avoid having too few pixels per inch as it can look a bit chunky, especially on the bigger monitors. I like about 110-130 ppi. Less than 100 is not as good but too high might mean that the monitor is physically smaller than you want to look at or else costs a lot more because of the higher pixel count.

The more up-market monitors have technology that offers more uniform tonal levels and colours across nearly the entire screen. Some cheap monitors look like a cloudy sky with some areas darker or brighter than others. The better ones also let you reduce brightness to manageable levels without sacrificing many of the tonal levels that the graphics card can output.

Either get a known good one at whatever it costs or get a cheapish one and use it as a learning exercise for buying a better one later on. Avoid spending too much on a mediocre screen as it is neither good to look at nor cheap to buy. A bit like buying camera gear, isn't it.

- Alan

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:37 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #3 · One more crack at monitors

Hi Alan - Thank you for the reply. I upgraded my Macbook PRo to the anti-glare screen as I also do not like the glare. So we agree on that one. I also have read enough on other threads to agree on the 16:10 ratio and most likely wide gamut. That brings me to the issue of which one to buy. Your advice about not spending too much on a mediocre screen resonates with me as well, but how much is not enough and how much is too much?

I don't expect anyone to answer that one! But when folks on the forum name their favorite monitor, I do due diligence, go online, read reviews and invariably there is an issue - with colors (too pink, too red in the corners, muddy blacks....) or it's stuck pixels, too bright, etc.... So I'm concluding that I just need to flip a coin and choose one, and hope for the best and failing that, good customer service for whatever brand I go with!

At any rate, back to the online searches.... thanks again!

Sharon

Jan 26, 2012 at 02:43 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · One more crack at monitors

Just get the dell, its super, u wont regret it.

Jan 26, 2012 at 04:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · One more crack at monitors

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

Jan 26, 2012 at 07:34 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #6 · One more crack at monitors

Thanks, Rusty Bug! So, men, is this my monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-PA246Q-24-LCD-Monitor/dp/B004NBZ994/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · One more crack at monitors

??
If Alan has said you need the extra pixels in the vertical dimension, why are you choosing a 1920 x 1024 model over a 1920 x 1200 model?

I had a 1080 screen and it did my head in.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · One more crack at monitors

Not sure what you mean -----

"Key Features

24-inch 1920 x 1200 P-IPS (Professional In-Plane Switching) panel delivers consistent color depth at virtually any angle (Learn more)
Expanded color gamut with 98% color reproduction of Adobe RGB color space and 100% color reproduction of sRGB color space for precise color (Learn more)
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio with 50,000:1 contrast ratio dynamically adjusts between black and white for sharper and brighter visuals
VESA mountable design and 4-way ergonomic adjustments enable pivot, height, swivel, and tilt adjustmentst
(Learn more)
Two USB 2.0 ports and a 7-in-1 card reader for quick image and data transfers between storage devices (Learn more)
QuickFit provides commonly-used layout formats directly on screen for more accurate sizing (Learn more)
3 year system warranty, 3 year panel warranty, 3 year Zero Bright Dot guarantee, ASUS Rapid Replacement policy"

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · One more crack at monitors

^oops. was looking at the W version......sorry for being such an (-!-)

(-!-) = arse, fyi
(- ! -) = fat arse etc

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · One more crack at monitors

Sharona wrote:
Thanks, Rusty Bug! So, men, is this my monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-PA246Q-24-LCD-Monitor/dp/B004NBZ994/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

IMHO, I would say yes. I went through your same thought process, except I had a budget of up to $1200 per monitor and I was ideally looking for a 30" monitor. But when I saw the specs on the Asus, particularly the wide-gamut capability of the P-IPS panels, I decided to buy two 24" monitors and wait until the same technology gets to 30".

I'm now using the above-mentioned two Asus PA246Q monitors, and loving every pixel on them. They even came out of the box with a sheet showing their individual color calibrations at the factory, plus USB, VGA, HDMI, and DVI cables. Two thumbs up from me.

Jan 27, 2012 at 01:34 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #11 · One more crack at monitors

Wow! Thanks so much Rodolfo! I know there is no perfect monitor - I'd love to splash out for an Eizo or some such, but do not have the money and can't justify it at this point. I just didn't want this to be one of Allen's higher priced, mediocre monitors. I may take the plunge this weekend. Thanks again for weighing in!

And, it's OK Morgan, you're not a (-!- ) I could have VERY easily been mistaken myself....

Jan 27, 2012 at 02:06 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password