Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Best flash trigger solution?

Jimna

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best flash trigger solution?

I am about to buy a 2 strobe system. I am likely to buy at least 1 580EX II and possibly a second if not definitely a 430EX II. My question is about the most effective off camera trigger solution. I could buy the Canon ST-E2, but I see most dont use it and I wonder why? Whats the benefit of using the radio popper or pocket wizard system over the Canon transmitter? What am I not seeing?

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #2 · Best flash trigger solution?

Closer then you think... RP is radio xmit while the Canon information is transmitted via flashes of light

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Best flash trigger solution?

It's what the flash(es) is(are) sometimes not seeing: The ST-E2 communicates with the flashes by IR, which requires a direct line-of-sight signal. When I tried using that with flashes behind softboxes, they didn't always receive the signal. I have much better luck (probably 98%) with PW MiniTT1 and FlexTT5s. And with the AC3, I can individually adjust the power of each flash (up to 3) right from the camera; I really like using these.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:34 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Best flash trigger solution?

Jimna wrote:
...I am likely to buy at least 1 580EX II and possibly a second if not definitely a 430EX II. My question is about the most effective off camera trigger solution. I could buy the Canon ST-E2, but I see most dont use it and I wonder why?

The ST-E2 is outdated. It doesn't swivel and it's lower in power than a 580EX, so unless one is in a small room where the IR signals can bounce, the slaves have to be forward of the camera -- not always desired.

Also, the ST-E2 is limited to two groups, A & B, whereas Canon's ETTL-II system can handle three groups, A+B+C or A:B +C.

If you have a 580EX II, you can use it as a Master -- either on camera, or off camera using a long ETTL cord -- and use it either as a key light or a fill light, or disable it from firing for exposure while still firing the metering and command pulses. In Master mode, the 580EX/EX II can control three groups, and if using only one slave the flash head can be pointed directly at it for greater range.

As far as radio triggers, it depends on if you're willing to fire the slaves in manual-power mode. If you are, there are many options in a wide range of price points. If you need to have ETTL metering, the options are more limited and more expensive.

Jan 22, 2012 at 02:52 AM
SirBrian

p.1 #5 · Best flash trigger solution?

I would have to agree with BrianO.

If you want to save money, i would look into RF-603 by yongnuo. Its about 30 dollars and will serve you well, since your just starting out. But if you really want the professional gear, pw are the industry standard....

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Best flash trigger solution?

Hey, SirBrian, I like your user name...wish I'd picked it first.

Last year I was exemplified into the 4th Degree of the Knights of Columbus, and it would have been a fitting nom de plume.

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:48 AM
Jimna

p.1 #7 · Best flash trigger solution?

Thanks for the advice. I guess its time to consider the best way to ease into a PW system.

Jan 22, 2012 at 05:20 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Best flash trigger solution?

I shoot professionally and use an older version of the Yongnuos (the 602s). I've seen my triggers out-perform many of my second shooters' Pocket Wizards in terms of reliability. Of course this is usually no more than a 50-70 foot range. But like folks said, they're manual control only.

Jan 22, 2012 at 05:34 AM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #9 · Best flash trigger solution?

mikethevilla wrote:
I shoot professionally and use an older version of the Yongnuos (the 602s). I've seen my triggers out-perform many of my second shooters' Pocket Wizards in terms of reliability. Of course this is usually no more than a 50-70 foot range. But like folks said, they're manual control only.

+1

My Yonguo 602's have been through tens of thousands of shots without a single misfire. But I mostly use them for macro work, in which the ranges emplolyed are very short. Have also used them without a hitch, though much less extensively, in medium sized-rooms for portaiture. And it's worth repeating that they offer manual control only. But the price is pretty low.

Jan 22, 2012 at 08:23 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password