Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

Nader Shaikh

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

Can anyone recommend good sites for bird photography in southern Texas? I will be in McAllen/lower rio grande region for about 1 week. Thanks

Jan 21, 2012 at 09:03 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

I saw plenty of birds when I was in Big Bend National Park. It is a very pretty area, if you can bring 2 bodies so you can shoot both landscape and birds at the same time. Also bring plenty of water when you go out.

Morris

Jan 21, 2012 at 09:19 PM
Nader Shaikh

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

Thanks Morris!

Jan 21, 2012 at 09:24 PM
AntoineL

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

Estero Llano Grande State Park, Laguna Atascosa and any of the World Birding Centers in the area should be good this time of year. Check with World Birding Center web site for locations of parks.

Jan 21, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Nader Shaikh

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

Thanks Atoine.

Jan 22, 2012 at 04:12 AM
Nader Shaikh

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

How is south padre in early Feb?

Jan 22, 2012 at 04:13 AM
capotit2

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

SPI is usually good. This coming week the news says temps should be high 60's low 70's. If you have any other questions or anything drop me a pm. I really don't use these forums as much as I should but I am from Harlingen.

Jan 22, 2012 at 04:17 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

I have never been here, but have seen shots and there seems to be a large variety of birds.

http://www.theworldbirdingcenter.com/Bentsen.html

Birdie

Jan 22, 2012 at 04:24 AM
Uber Goober
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

AntoineL wrote:
Estero Llano Grande State Park, Laguna Atascosa and any of the World Birding Centers in the area should be good this time of year. Check with World Birding Center web site for locations of parks.

Good info, especially about Estero Llano Grande. Ask the folks there about the local landscape guy who reclaimed a few acres into a little bit of paradise for birds. I can't rememebr his name right now, but it was fairly close to E.L.G. and had tons of great birds hanging out at water features.

Bentson State Park is another good place!

Jan 22, 2012 at 04:44 AM
randysc
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

I was in McAllen last week, went to the Santa Ana wildlife refuge, It was overcast and pretty slow but I did get some shots of a Great Kiskedee, Red Shouldered Hawk and some Notheren Shovelers. The auto tour road is not operating so it's all walking, we walked about 5 miles.

Randy

Jan 22, 2012 at 05:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nader Shaikh

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

Ive always heard big bend is one of the best birding spots in the country. Definitely check that out

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Jeannean
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

I'm mostly a lurker here, but I live in McAllen, so if you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me. In addition to those places listed (public areas) there are several private ranches that offer wonderful opportunities for photography. The Santa Clara ranch is one that I'm most familiar with, but there are several more. Here are a few listed:

http://www.imagesforconservation.org/travel/region/southwest

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Nader Shaikh

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

Are the ranches that Jeannean mentioned worth the money? Anyone here tried this?

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:29 AM
Nader Shaikh

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

I think Big Bend is too far for this trip. Maybe next time.

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:31 AM
BugLightGeek
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

After you work up an appetite birding, don't forget to stop for some of the best Fajitas you'll EVER have at a place called Taco Palenque in McAllen.

Jan 25, 2012 at 06:43 PM
Nader Shaikh

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

Taco Palenque here I come!

Jan 26, 2012 at 02:30 AM
BugLightGeek
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

...enjoy!
I wish they'd setup some kind of mail order business -- I'd have them FedEx some to me!!

Jan 26, 2012 at 06:03 PM
hastorga

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

Hi Nader:

Im the ranch manager at the Santa Clara Ranch here in South Texas. Our website is http://www.santaclararanch.com

You asked if it was worth coming here to shoot and the answer is yes, no better place to photograph wildlife in South Texas than the private ranches. Look at the galleries on our site to see the kind of images you can get.

if you have any questions dont hesitate to contact me via email: hectorastorga@att.net or by pm here on fred miranda.

Hector D. Astorga
http://www.hectorastorga.com

Jan 27, 2012 at 06:28 AM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rio Grande valley - Tx

hastorga wrote:
Hi Nader:

Im the ranch manager at the Santa Clara Ranch here in South Texas. Our website is http://www.santaclararanch.com

You asked if it was worth coming here to shoot and the answer is yes, no better place to photograph wildlife in South Texas than the private ranches. Look at the galleries on our site to see the kind of images you can get.

if you have any questions dont hesitate to contact me via email: hectorastorga@att.net or by pm here on fred miranda.

Hector D. Astorga
http://www.hectorastorga.com

A huge +100!!! This is a great place to visit!!! The Martin refuge is also well worth the time and money.

Jan 27, 2012 at 04:33 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password