Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help with affordable lens upgrade for T3i

msinderson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help with affordable lens upgrade for T3i

Hey everyone,

Last year I got back into "serious" photography after about a 15 year absence. I purchased a T3i with the two standard kit lenses, the 18-55 and 55-250. Since then I've been just trying to get out and shoot as much as possible. I've managed to get a few good shots along the way and am really enjoying it.

Based on my experience so far I find that I enjoy Landscape, Urban/Street and Automotive photography the most. I don't have any interest in portraits (except as part of street). Almost everything is outside and in decent light so I don't think I'll need super-fast lenses

I'd like to upgrade/expand my lens selection without breaking the bank. Budget is definitely <$1500 Ideally I'd like to have a 2-3 lens solution that will allow me to have decent image quality and flexibility. My current thinking is to get a wide angle zoom in the 10-20mm range, a mid range zoom and a moderate telephoto.

Based on my budget, I think I can keep the 55-250 as it is a decent lens for now. I can always upgrade it later (maybe next year). That leaves me with the wide end of the spectrum. I've been considering the Canon 10-22mm and 15-85 as those two seem to offer decent quality with the flexibility I'm looking for.

Any thoughts on this setup or suggestions for other combinations that might work?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jan 20, 2012 at 09:35 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Help with affordable lens upgrade for T3i

how often do you use the 18-55? do you find the range is enough?

if you do then probably think about the 17-55 IS .
if you find yourself range limited then the 15-85 is a great lens . its just the 2.8 of the 17-55 offers more lowlight opportunities.

the 17-55 paired with the tokina 11-16 offers a great pair of lenses.

on top of those 2 I would also opt to add a prime like the 85/1.8

hunt around on the used market and that may be in budget

Jan 20, 2012 at 09:42 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Help with affordable lens upgrade for T3i

The 10-22 is a fantastic lens for the crop sensor camera. It is essentially L quality for a crop sensor camera.Excellent choice for wide landscapes, will work well for in close auto shots. I like wide angle distortion sometimes and like (distorted) architectural shots with it. Probably get one used for about $600.
Do you need long? If not, the 24-105 fills a nice space, has IS, works well on a crop sensor (although even better on FF). Probably find a used one around $900.
Both would be a significant jump up in IQ with excellent resale value. And you might sell the 55-250 to recoup some money if you dont need longer telephoto.
Enjoy!
Scott

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM
msinderson

p.1 #4 · Help with affordable lens upgrade for T3i

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
how often do you use the 18-55? do you find the range is enough?

if you do then probably think about the 17-55 IS .
if you find yourself range limited then the 15-85 is a great lens . its just the 2.8 of the 17-55 offers more lowlight opportunities.

the 17-55 paired with the tokina 11-16 offers a great pair of lenses.

on top of those 2 I would also opt to add a prime like the 85/1.8

hunt around on the used market and that may be in budget

I do often find myself wishing for a few mm on the short end but mostly wanting the additional reach without having to swap put lenses. That's why the 15-85 is appealing to me as a good walk-around lens. I haven't run into too many situations where I wish I had more low light range yet but maybe I could look at a fast prime like the 50 or 85.

How does the Tokina 11-16 compare to the Canon 10-22 in your experience?

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM
msinderson

p.1 #5 · Help with affordable lens upgrade for T3i

sbeme wrote:
The 10-22 is a fantastic lens for the crop sensor camera. It is essentially L quality for a crop sensor camera.Excellent choice for wide landscapes, will work well for in close auto shots. I like wide angle distortion sometimes and like (distorted) architectural shots with it. Probably get one used for about $600.
Do you need long? If not, the 24-105 fills a nice space, has IS, works well on a crop sensor (although even better on FF). Probably find a used one around $900.
Both would be a significant jump up in IQ with excellent resale value. And you might
...Show more

The 24-105 looks like a great lens but for a walk-around lens I'd be missing a lot on the wide end, that's why the 15-85 appeals to me.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dono T

p.1 #6 · Help with affordable lens upgrade for T3i

Get AT LEAST one prime for sure. If you are kind of new to it, it gives a whole new world to explore. I would suggest the 50 1.8 is the best bang for your buck out of any Canon lens. If you have even a cheap tripod you can stitch some potographs together making the lens more versatile. The 50 1.8 can be bought used for well under $100.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM
msinderson

p.1 #7 · Help with affordable lens upgrade for T3i

Dono T wrote:
Get AT LEAST one prime for sure. If you are kind of new to it, it gives a whole new world to explore. I would suggest the 50 1.8 is the best bang for your buck out of any Canon lens. If you have even a cheap tripod you can stitch some potographs together making the lens more versatile. The 50 1.8 can be bought used for well under $100.

I do want to get a prime but am still undecided on which one to get. I can't drop $500 on one but a few hundred is doable. Since I have a crop body would a 30mm be better than a 50?

Jan 21, 2012 at 01:18 AM
umihoshijima
• •
p.1 #8 · Help with affordable lens upgrade for T3i

msinderson wrote:
Since I have a crop body would a 30mm be better than a 50?

I wouldn't say 30 is "better". 35mm on a crop is the same FOV as 50mm on a full-frame. The nifty fifty will give you an 80mm equivalent FOV on a crop camera. I'm personally a huge fan of the 50mm on a crop, and I think it comes down to personal preference. The 85mm f/1.8 on a crop is also great, but again might not be your cup o'tea. I would suggest putting your zoom lenses on these focal lengths to get an idea of what they're like.

Focal length aside, though, the 50mm f/1.8 is the cheapest, best value lens that Canon makes. If you're used to zoom lenses, you'll find that the primes make you think a bit more about framing and such. Also, the shallow depth of field is great fun. I would highly recommend.

Jan 21, 2012 at 07:51 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #9 · Help with affordable lens upgrade for T3i

I would definitely get a 50 f/1.8. The optics/price ratio is huge on that one.

Jan 21, 2012 at 08:05 PM
msinderson

p.1 #10 · Help with affordable lens upgrade for T3i

leftymgp wrote:
I would definitely get a 50 f/1.8. The optics/price ratio is huge on that one.

For less than $100 the 50mm might be worth it. I'm going out shooting today so I'll try a bunch at the 50mm setting to see how I like it. If I do I may just get it!

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password