Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

haidoz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Hi there,

I'm new here
Have been searching for this topic on the forum, but couldn't find any.

Is there anyone here using EF 24mm f/2.8 on a 5D Mark II?
I recently purchased a second hand copy of this lens (just barely one month old). The guy who sold it said he found it rather not so useful on his cropper body. And i got it approximately $50 less from the new one.

Anyway, the lens is great, decent focusing speed, and very sharp wide open. Didn't find any flaw on it's performance and shot result despite a bit noisy AF (which is normal for non USM lens).
Until i noticed that on my 5D mk II's viewfinder, the lens showing me this, how do i describe this.. a very thin circle border on the center. Almost 40% of the viewfinder. And the area outside of the circle is a bit dark compared with the center. Almost like a vignetting but clearly making a perfect thin circle border. Boy, i wish i could show you what i mean.

This remind me of my 58mm Helios lens on my old Zenith SLR camera. It also has the same thin circle on the center of the viewfinder. But i think it's obvious to have it there for manual split focusing.

I hope this is normal on Canon EF old design lenses like this one. FYI it was announced by canon on 1988. Among the first EF lenses introduced during early Canon's EF mount era.

Would appreciate any info about this, sorry for the long writing
Thanks.

Jan 20, 2012 at 08:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Hi haidoz,

Welcome to FM. It sounds like you're seeing texture on the focus screen. What other lenses do you use with the 5DII?

Cheers, Jim

Go Pats!

Jan 20, 2012 at 09:02 PM
haidoz

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Hi Jim,

I have EF 85mm f/1.8 and EF 50mm f/1.4
I also had 17-40L. None of them showing the same phenomena on my 5DII.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jan 20, 2012 at 09:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

haidoz wrote:
...Any thoughts?

Nope. I've used the 24/2.8 on many EOS bodies (not the 5DII), and I haven't seen what you describe. Of course, as long as it doesn't appear in the photos, it's not so bad, eh?

Go Pats!

Jan 20, 2012 at 09:26 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Does it show up in prints or on live view or just in viewfinder?

Jan 20, 2012 at 09:28 PM
haidoz

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

jcolwell wrote:
Nope. I've used the 24/2.8 on many EOS bodies (not the 5DII), and I haven't seen what you describe. Of course, as long as it doesn't appear in the photos, it's not so bad, eh?

Go Pats!

I guess so.. It's not really annoys me during focusing either. Just curious though.

JohnBrose wrote:
Does it show up in prints or on live view or just in viewfinder?

It doesn't appear on photos nor on live view. Just in viewfinder.. and doesn't seems to happen with other lenses.
Damn, couple hours ago i met my friend and his 5DII, i forgot to test the lens on it.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM
bcguy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

I have an EF 24mm f/2.8 and a 5D ("Classic"), and I've never seen anything like that in my viewfinder.

I hope you figure it out.

Jan 23, 2012 at 01:55 AM
haidoz

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

bcguy wrote:
I have an EF 24mm f/2.8 and a 5D ("Classic"), and I've never seen anything like that in my viewfinder.

I hope you figure it out.

Thanks for sharing I haven't had a chance to try the lens on other 5DII body

Jan 23, 2012 at 08:50 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

I used an EF 24 2.8 for nearly 20 years. I recall on my 1N I could see a bit of light fall-off in the 100% VF but don't remember it being obvious on my 5D but the VF is less than 100%. Sold it by the time I had a 5D2.

However if the pattern doesn't show in images or LV, I'd have to say it isn't due to the lens. AFter all, the OVF is much darker and smaller and renders far less detail than the saved image file. If anything was there, it would be painfully evident in the image file. You're seeing something on your focusing screen or prism.

Jan 23, 2012 at 09:39 AM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Which focus screen is fitted in the camera?

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

haidoz

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Gochugogi wrote:
I used an EF 24 2.8 for nearly 20 years. I recall on my 1N I could see a bit of light fall-off in the 100% VF but don't remember it being obvious on my 5D but the VF is less than 100%. Sold it by the time I had a 5D2.

However if the pattern doesn't show in images or LV, I'd have to say it isn't due to the lens. AFter all, the OVF is much darker and smaller and renders far less detail than the saved image file. If anything was there, it would be painfully evident in
...Show more

Yeah, it should be the same on 5DII too, since it VF is 98% coverage.

True, what i'm seeing is something on the focusing screen / prism.
I tested both my 85mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4 by viewing its rear element through my 5DII's VF without snapping-in the lenses on the camera mount. And i can some how see the similar dark circle on the VF.
So i guess it's not the 24mm lens, it's something with the 5DII's VF.

Weird thing is, i couldn't see the dark circle on the VF when i snapped-in both 85mm and 50mm on the camera mount. Only happens with the 24mm. And as far as i can remember it didn't happen too when i'm using my friend's 17-40L.

PaulB wrote:
Which focus screen is fitted in the camera?

I bought this 5DII body on a few months used condition. And i can't trace the previous owner's history on the camera since i bought it from a camera store. But i guess it is using factory standard focus screen.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM
haidoz

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Info update :

I just tried the 24mm f2.8 on my friend's 5DII, and it's showing the same phenomena on it's VF. So i guess it's the lens not the camera (thankfully).

Since it doesn't bug me that much when composing through the VF, and it doesn't effecting the result, I'm just gonna let it be and enjoy it

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Just an outside of the box thought....Is the lens aperture FULLY opened on the body? IF it is not, and is only opening to F4, the VF would appear darker than it should, especially at the edges...
Just a guess....

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM
haidoz

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Yes it's wide open on f2.8.
No matter i set the aperture value, the thin dark circle always there..

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:55 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

haidoz wrote:
Yes it's wide open on f2.8.
No matter i set the aperture value, the thin dark circle always there..

Setting the aperture has no effect on the view through the viewfinder....
...no matter what you set the aperture, it is supposed to always be wide open at F2.8 until you take the shot...I was thinking that if the VF was dark, there might be something keeping the aperture from staying open at 2.8....

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:42 AM
quicksilver33
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Have you inspected the rear element of the 24mm lens? Take it off the camera and hold it up to a light - might have some gunk or something on the rear element.

Jan 28, 2012 at 02:58 PM
haidoz

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

quicksilver33 wrote:
Have you inspected the rear element of the 24mm lens? Take it off the camera and hold it up to a light - might have some gunk or something on the rear element.

Yes i did. Nothing on the rear element

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:42 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Are you wearing polarized sunglasses?

I have seen similar odd patterns on focusing screen with my polarized sunglasses.

Jan 30, 2012 at 05:38 PM
haidoz

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Yes I'm using polarized sunglasses when I drive my car. But never use any glasses when I'm using my camera

Jan 30, 2012 at 05:43 PM
AJSJones
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dark circle on viewfinder EF 24mm f/2.8 + 5DII

Anything unusual happen when you push the DoF preview button to stop it down to test the aperture control mechanics? If it doesn't show any effect on the images and the metering/aperture control is working fine, it remains a conundrum, but not too critical ?

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password