Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 1Dx Belay my Last

SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1Dx Belay my Last

I handled the 1Dx and talked to the countermen at CES. Yes it really shoots 12fps with the mirror up and that's significantly faster than 9/10 fps. They have a huge increase in image processing speed with the digic 5 chip.

Canon has quoted conservative and incomplete specs but in conversation with the countermen (after they had quoted the official copy) I gleaned that they "expected" a huge buffer (much larger than the MK IV) with world class AF and hi ISO.

So even though the 1Dx is still in testing, and Canon is being very careful with their representations, I would expect that this should be a very important camera with unique features. I will be really interested in the real world results.

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:53 PM
shooter00

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1Dx Belay my Last

12 frames per second is the standard rate with the mirror in operation up to 32,000 iso.
With the mirror locked up and shooting in jpg + manual focus the camera will shoot up to 14 frames per second.....

Jan 19, 2012 at 07:57 PM
tonywong88
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1Dx Belay my Last

Isn't it 14fps with mirror up, and 12fps with mirror flapping?

Jan 19, 2012 at 08:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1Dx Belay my Last

SoundHound wrote:
... I will be really interested in the real world results.

Me too.

Jan 19, 2012 at 08:54 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1Dx Belay my Last

tonywong88 wrote:

Yes indeed.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1Dx Belay my Last

tonywong88 wrote:

As far I understand (some) english that is what "shooter00" sayd. Isn`t it?
He mentioned "mirror in operation" - "up to ISO 32.000" 12 fps.
"Mirror locked up" 14 fps.

@ SoundHound
Thxs.

Ralph

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1Dx Belay my Last

Ralph Conway wrote:
As far I understand (some) english that is what "shooter00" sayd. Isn`t it?
He mentioned "mirror in operation" - "up to ISO 32.000" 12 fps.
"Mirror locked up" 14 fps.

@ SoundHound
Thxs.

Ralph

True, but Whayne is from Australia, which is a really cool place. Tony is from Edmonton, Canada, which is a really cold place - really, really cold...

P.S. sorry Tony, but you know how it is...

Go Pats!

Jan 21, 2012 at 01:05 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1Dx Belay my Last

jcolwell wrote:
True, but Whayne is from Australia, which is a really cool place. Tony is from Edmonton, Canada, which is a really cold place - really, really cold...

P.S. sorry Tony, but you know how it is...

Go Pats!

Hm. I know, Whayne is from Australia (just did not know his name is Whayne ... hello Whayne )
and Tony is from Canada. I guess they speak english anyway, does not really matter if itīs cold or cool ...
I am from germany And I am more with you, Collie and with Houndy:
Real world results in ISO 25.600 and 51k and full resolution would be a great help to me,
"Conny" from germany.

Jan 21, 2012 at 01:21 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1Dx Belay my Last

Ralph Conway wrote:
...Real world results in ISO 25.600 and 51k and full resolution would be a great help to me,
"Conny" from germany.

Me too. I'm excited to find out what the 1DX can do. I just hope I have enough money left for a 1DX, after I get a Fujifilm X-Pro 1 system. Maybe I can sell something...

Ralph Conway wrote:
Hm. I know, Whayne is from Australia ... I guess they speak english anyway,

Well, they at least they type English...

(sorry, I was born bad, in a rude sort of way)

Jan 21, 2012 at 01:31 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1Dx Belay my Last

: Sorry I have to go to bed.
Have a shooting tomorrow 11 AM.

c you

Jan 21, 2012 at 01:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1Dx Belay my Last

ciao

Jan 21, 2012 at 01:43 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1Dx Belay my Last

OK, Ralph, since you seem to have very high hopes for 1DX, I'll give you something to chew on.

* 1DX shutter is rated at very high 400,000 actuations. However, that is under Canon's test conditions. Also, that specification is statistical in nature.

* What does that mean to you Ralph ? Well, if your 1DX develops a shutter failure at, say, 10,000 actuations, just after the camera warranty expires, you are up the $hit creek without a paddle......which is to say that Canon feels no obligation to replace the shutter free of charge.

Jan 21, 2012 at 04:24 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1Dx Belay my Last

PetKal wrote:
OK, Ralph, since you seem to have very high hopes for 1DX, I'll give you something to chew on.

* 1DX shutter is rated at very high 400,000 actuations. However, that is under Canon's test conditions. Also, that specification is statistical in nature.

* What does that mean to you Ralph ? Well, if your 1DX develops a shutter failure at, say, 10,000 actuations, just after the camera warranty expires, you are up the $hit creek without a paddle......which is to say that Canon feels no obligation to replace the shutter free of charge.

The nice thing is, if you're into shooting manually focused jpegs at 14 fps (maybe prefocused on a slalom gate?), you could get up around 10,000 actuations in a real hurry!

Jan 21, 2012 at 05:57 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1Dx Belay my Last

If the 1Dx is readily available this summer, I think I will be ready for one. It will supplement my 1D4 (not supplant it), and despite its weight it will probably replace my 5D2.

Jan 21, 2012 at 06:02 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1Dx Belay my Last

PetKal wrote:

Good morning Peter,

nice to start into the day that way.
1) At the moment I do not know what a 1D X shutter repair costs. Its still not written in Canons price list.
2) 400.000 looks like 5-10 years (based on my actual releases). Even I think the guaranty here in germany is raised from 1 to 2 years, that is by far not enough to make sure it will not happen 3-8 years after purchase
3) I trust on Canon, that in the case they will repair it for free - They will love my pictures and will say: "Hell, itīs Ralphs body! He needs it to make those fabulous pictures, that we all love so much! The world needs the heeling capabilities in his vision! Letīs repair it for free and just give him a second body so he will never get into trouble when one breakes!"

At the end I do not care Peter. Maybe I should look if insurance covers that issue. If I would think all the times about bad things that could happen, I would not be able to leave the house or cross the road any longer.

Have a great weekend

Jan 21, 2012 at 08:49 AM
4x4rock
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1Dx Belay my Last

I wonder what are the real world applications where you would need to shoot 14fps with manual focus only.

A stand still duck flapping his wings really fast??

Jan 21, 2012 at 05:14 PM
JIrwin

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1Dx Belay my Last

Ralph Conway wrote:
I trust on Canon, that in the case they will repair it for free - They will love my pictures and will say: "Hell, itīs Ralphs body! He needs it to make those fabulous pictures, that we all love so much! The world needs the heeling capabilities in his vision! Letīs repair it for free and just give him a second body so he will never get into trouble when one breakes!"

+1

Jan 21, 2012 at 06:00 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1Dx Belay my Last

4x4rock wrote:
I wonder what are the real world applications where you would need to shoot 14fps with manual focus only.

A stand still duck flapping his wings really fast??

I think Petkal has a pic of that..

Jan 21, 2012 at 09:02 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1Dx Belay my Last

4x4rock wrote:

It's not just manual focus. You don't see what it is you're focusing on / tracking, since the mirror is up. Which makes the whole thing even less useful.

Jan 21, 2012 at 09:37 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1Dx Belay my Last

Peter, I agree nothing holds Canon back from charging outside of its stated warranty period. I had the fortune so see the shutter go bad after just 30,000 on my new 1D MkII that was out of warranty by 10 months. Sent it in, got it back with a new shutter and no bill. Maybe I was lucky

Regards,
Matt

Edited on Jan 22, 2012 at 02:01 PM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password