Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Contax / Yashica Zeiss lens compatibility on 5D Mark 2 co...

alitech

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Contax / Yashica Zeiss lens compatibility on 5D Mark 2 confusion

Guys

I have gone ahead and invested some money on Zeiss lenses for my Sony Nex 5n with a view to use these same lenses on the 5D mark ii once I get hold of stock anywhere. I have come across this website / page specifically talking about all the Zeiss lenses in C/Y mount that people are using/trying to use/having issues with on eh 5D Mark ii.

What are you opinions about this?

http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Contax_db_Specific_Lenses.html

If this was to be taken into consideration, I think I may have just wasted my money on Zeiss and should have gone for another line of products that would have been compatible with the 5d.

How accurate is this information and what have been your experiences with contax lenses.

Infinity focus seems to be an issue as well with all the clearance issues and the different adapters we will need to use if we were to get infinity focus. I am for one very disappointed to read this, however whatever I have read is inconclusive and says its different for every lens / body / adapter combination. I mean WTF man.

FYI the lenses I have are

Contax Zeiss 28 2.8 Distagon MMJ
Contax Zeiss 50 1.7 Planar MMJ
Contax Zeiss 35-70 3.4 Vario-Sonnar MMJ (on order)

I have come accross leitax.com but after reading pebble place, I am unsure of what to make of all this.

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:27 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Contax / Yashica Zeiss lens compatibility on 5D Mark 2 confusion

You have an awesome set of lenses on order. Buy a well made adapter or Leitax them to EOS and you will be good to go (you'd use an EOS > NEX adapter).

I have the 35-70 and some G lenses for my NEX, but have thought about picking up that exact same set that you just bought.

You will might get more info if you post over in the alt forum. The CY images thread has tons of samples from the combos that you will be using.

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:36 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Contax / Yashica Zeiss lens compatibility on 5D Mark 2 confusion

FWIW, I never had any issues using those lenses on my 5D. I initially had trouble with the 28 but after measuring the adapter thickness with a caliper I noticed it was too thin. After getting a different adapter there were no issues. They note that the adapter thickness that is technically correct is 1.5mm, however, I found that the best measurement was 1.42mm -- I think they noted the same thing (1.425). You should be just fine if you get an adapter with the right thickness, I have also known many others who have used Contax lenses without issue on 5D and 5DII cameras.
Paul

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:26 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #4 · Contax / Yashica Zeiss lens compatibility on 5D Mark 2 confusion

>>>Contax Zeiss 28 2.8 Distagon MMJ
Contax Zeiss 50 1.7 Planar MMJ
Contax Zeiss 35-70 3.4 Vario-Sonnar

I have the same set and love them on my 5D , but I do get just a touch of mirror hang with the 35-70.
I have a few different adapters, can't say that any are better than others. the only issue I've run into with them is that the mount lock from adapter to lens seems weak, I had to bend the lock tab a bit, but that was simple.

Jan 19, 2012 at 05:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Contax / Yashica Zeiss lens compatibility on 5D Mark 2 confusion

I have all three on my 5D2 and love them.
No problem with my 28 and 35-70, but my 50f1.7 needed a small mod because the mirror would hang. You may or may not have an issue with unaltered lenses, but the modification is very easy if needed.
Congrats, those are a few of the very best alt lenses for the 5D2.

Jan 19, 2012 at 06:01 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Contax / Yashica Zeiss lens compatibility on 5D Mark 2 confusion

I have used the C/Y 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.4 on 5D and 5D II and they are both superb optics. From f/2 they are very sharp, easily as good as best L glass. Very contrasty and excellent sharpness. They are softish wide pen, but still usable and even using f/1.7 makes a big difference. Also they are built tougher than cockroaches and will survive a nuclear war.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Contax / Yashica Zeiss lens compatibility on 5D Mark 2 confusion

I filed a bit off the back of my 35-70. If I can do it, anyone can.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password