Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Eye-Controll ???

Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eye-Controll ???

All couple of years I wonder what happened to Canons innovativ eye controll system ...
I used and loved it in my Eos 5 (with only 5 focus points - I think it was called EOS A2E in the united states). Focusing (and rearranging the composition) worked fantastic. The couple of days I tested the 45 AF point one of a friends EOS 3 and it blew me away. EOS 3 would have been surely my next choice, if I would not have decided to change sides to digital photography in 2002 with EOS D60.

But again and again the question comes up:
For me EC-AF worked perfect.

- WHAT happened that Canon did not follow that path further?
- Why nobody else of the manufacturers did?
- What was YOUR experience (if you had one)?

Thank you.
Ralph

Edited on Jan 19, 2012 at 01:54 PM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:28 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eye-Controll ???

Now did you send CR your request ?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/5d-mark-iii-information-cr1-2/

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:32 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eye-Controll ???

No I did not. But I read it myself one hour ago.
But EC-AF turns back as rumor any couple of month again. I would not expect it for 5D III.
When Canon brings it back, I would guess it will be offered in form of that million times mentioned EOS 3D. But that did not really answer my questions.

Edited on Jan 19, 2012 at 02:11 PM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:40 PM
molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eye-Controll ???

I wear glasses, and for me the Eye Control on the EOS A2E and EOS 3 was a complete failure - it never worked properly, no matter how many times I calibrated it. The Elan IIE (50E) and 7E did work a lot better, but it still wasn't totally reliable.

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:49 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eye-Controll ???

molson wrote:
I wear glasses, and for me the Eye Control on the EOS A2E and EOS 3 was a complete failure - it never worked properly, no matter how many times I calibrated it. The Elan IIE (50E) and 7E did work a lot better, but it still wasn't totally reliable.

That answered it. . And you are right. An AF system that is not reliable is not a working system.
On the other hand EC is just another feature. Everything could be like it is (wasn´t it in the past?) and EC could be a nice add on (like video is for me). I guess concerning production costs it is just an additional sensor (or two), some electronic and software. In the past Canon offered the 50e follow up EOS 30 (here) with and without EC (EOS 33) as far I remember. Where there to many customers unhappy with the results?

I only know 2 and both where fascinated.

Edited on Jan 19, 2012 at 02:20 PM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:17 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eye-Controll ???

I wear glasses and it worked perfectly for me. I LOVE this feature and wish it would come back.

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eye-Controll ???

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:21 PM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eye-Controll ???

Loved ECF on my 2 Eos 3's iit worked great. Once you got used to using ECF it became 2nd nature. ECF was great for for composition and much quicker than using dials to change your FP. If it didn't work for you just you could just control the FP with dials...

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:55 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eye-Controll ???

I had glasses, too back then and for me, ECF was not reliable but not completely a failure. I guess it has to do with the strength of your prescription and how close you can get your focusing eye to the viewfinder. I had to put an effort by pulling the camera close to me for it to work properly, and it wasn't close to second nature . I had lasik some 10 years ago and I have been glass free ever since. I wouldn't mind having ECF as an option for focusing again now in a new body, that would be really great, actually.

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:13 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Eye-Controll ???

Works on my 2 EOS 3s.......but seemed to work even better on the EOS 30 for some reason!!

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GCasey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Eye-Controll ???

My last film cameras were the A2E and the 3. I wear glasses and loved both cameras.

All had to do was to compose the picture, decide where I wanted the camera to focus, look at that area of the composition and press the shutter release.

Before the automatic-focusing cameras were available, I used a diopter lens in the camera viewfinder without wearing my glasses. With the eye-controlled focusing of the A2E and 3, I callibrated the cameras to work with them on.

It worked well for me, and I would love to see it in a current camera.

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Eye-Controll ???

AGeoJO wrote:
I had glasses, too back then and for me, ECF was not reliable but not completely a failure. I guess it has to do with the strength of your prescription and how close you can get your focusing eye to the viewfinder. I had to put an effort by pulling the camera close to me for it to work properly, and it wasn't close to second nature . I had lasik some 10 years ago and I have been glass free ever since. I wouldn't mind having ECF as an option for focusing again now in a new body, that
...Show more

I myself had to train a new way of shooting, too. Camera was "nailed" to my eye and I had to learn that if I did not see everything in the whole VF the sensor did not see always where my view was pointing to. But that was a matter of two days and after it worked excellent. Of course I ignored it completely when I turnd the camera away from horizontal format. EOS 5 was not able to recognice that ... - EOS 3 and follow up consumer bodies where ...

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:34 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Eye-Controll ???

I too used and loved ECF on my Elan 7E, NE and 3. On the Elans it was pretty much a 100% hit rate for me. ECF on the EOS 3 was okay was not as reliable as the Elans with all 45 points enabled. I had a -3 diopter installed so it may have degraded ECF performance a bit. However, when the EOS 3 points were reduced to 11, ECF was as almost as good as the Elans and, of course, AF was faster in low light. I'd buy a new EOS if ECF reappeared as it's a lot better than the joystick thingie.

Jan 19, 2012 at 04:55 PM
dld542004
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Eye-Controll ???

worked great for me on my A2E

Jan 19, 2012 at 04:57 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Eye-Controll ???

useless if you wear glasses
easier to just use quck controller to change focus points

Jan 19, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Eye-Controll ???

abqnmusa wrote:
useless if you wear glasses
easier to just use quck controller to change focus points

ECF worked well for me with glasses on, at least with my Elan 7E/NE. I had to use a different calibration than when I didn't wear glasses. Also, some eyeglass coatings seemed to reflection the ECF tracking beam and mess it up.

Jan 19, 2012 at 05:08 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Eye-Controll ???

Good question, I also mentioned this feature a couple of times in a few earlier postings when people asked what features would be desired in a new DSLR. I always answered eye-controlled AF. The response always was weak, looks like now many people don't even know that it already existed.

I have no idea why Canon (and others) gave up on this idea? Too expensive - I don't think so. With the DSLR technology used currently, I am sure the "old" eye-control AF would be even much more improved if implemented.

Jan 19, 2012 at 05:43 PM
Sir_Loin
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Eye-Controll ???

I loved eye control focus and I still have the 50E and it still works perfectly. I kept it for a bit of nostalgia I suppose, but it's retro styling still looks cool now. I often wonder myself why Canon don't bring ECF back.

Jan 19, 2012 at 05:52 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Eye-Controll ???

I liked ECF on my Elan IIe. Worked well. 'Course it only had 3 choices. Don't know how well I'd like it on the 7D's scattering of points, maybe to select a cluster. On a 5DIII with 9 high precision points, well then ...

Jan 19, 2012 at 06:05 PM
jwin
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Eye-Controll ???

Loved the ECF on my EOS 5 and EOS 3. Always worked well for me with or without glasses.

Even had lasik done so I can use ECF without interference, kidding...

Jan 19, 2012 at 08:58 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password