Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · help decide where to spend my money... - which body?

fixedgearmike
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · help decide where to spend my money... - which body?

help! I've got some bonus to spend on me before it disappears into the general household nonsense...

My current toy cupboard has a 1dmk2N, 17-40, 24-70 and 80-200. I also have an M9 and a couple of lenses (which was last years bonus!)

I want to do more horse photography and also carry on building a portfolio of fashion and beauty and possibly weddings, then (if they're any good....) see if I can start to make some money out of it in 12 months or so.

So far, I use the 1D2N for horses and M9 for everything else but i'm not good enough to use the M9 for moving models, so it's all very static. The 2N is also a bit limited for winter horse pics as anything over 800ISO is very difficult and some of the barns are quite dark.

Should I...

a) keep the 2N and get a 1DS2 for fashion (which doesnt help higher ISO)
b) sell the 2N, get a used 1DS3 and use it for everything
c) sell the 2N, get a used 1D4 which I can use for everything
d) ?

I think it's got to be a 1D body, I dont really like the handling or focus system in the 5D2, I sold one to part-fund my M9 (which isnt for sale!) B and C both have compromises, but which would you recommend?

and extra points for if you can think of a way to sneak it past the household budget committee... (that's a joke - my beloved will be fine with any of the above)

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:06 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #2 · help decide where to spend my money... - which body?

d) give the money to me. You would help a poor photographer to becomme famous, etc.

No, it was a joke. How looks your bonus like? If I could I would wait for final release and tests. If IQ and AF are, what I expect, I would sell both (the Leica, too) and go for the 1D X.

Ralph

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:35 PM
fixedgearmike
• •
p.1 #3 · help decide where to spend my money... - which body?

thing is, I love the leica too much for travel and landscapes..

I take it on hikes I'd never want to carry a huge, heavy 1D body, including round cities trying to be unobtrusive...

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:59 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #4 · help decide where to spend my money... - which body?

I think a 1Ds3 would be wasted on those lenses, IMHO. If you are going into fashion you will need proper lighting which even the 1D4 won't give you. Hot lights in barns are probably not a good idea and I doubt horses like strobes so you are in between a rock and a hard place. Sooo I'm going to suggest the 1Ds2 for fashion/weddings plus a 35L for speed. Keep the 1D2n for your horses and perhaps look at lighting when the next bonus rolls in.

Or send the money to me as I'd like to try an M9 too.
John

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

safcraft
• • •
p.1 #5 · help decide where to spend my money... - which body?

The 2N is a great camera if you are not light limited or focal length limited.
If the 200mm at f2.8 is light and long enough for you, then you dont need anything else.

A 7D would give you more pixels per horse. Not much better high ISO from what i have seen (do not own one).
A 1Ds3 is better at high ISO and has more pixels per horse. It is a better camera. But if you need ir or not, its you that has to say.

A new lens like 100f2 or 85f1.8 or even a 35L (great for weddings) is a good choice.
The 1Dx is probably the best camera you could buy....but the price...

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:04 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #6 · help decide where to spend my money... - which body?

fixedgearmike wrote:
thing is, I love the leica too much for travel and landscapes..

I take it on hikes I'd never want to carry a huge, heavy 1D body, including round cities trying to be unobtrusive...

Well, pick your poison as they say.

Another option is to get a Canon EOS-1D X, selling the Leica + lenses and then find a nice EVIL as replacement for travel like the upcoming Fujifilm X-Pro1 or the Panasonic GX1? That is what I would do, if I was lucky enough to have the option.

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:13 PM
docnlaw24
• • •
p.1 #7 · help decide where to spend my money... - which body?

Faster glass first and then see what is limiting you.

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:14 PM
fixedgearmike
• •
p.1 #8 · help decide where to spend my money... - which body?

docnlaw24 wrote:
Faster glass first and then see what is limiting you.

wise words, thanks!

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password