Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Foolish switch?

Charlie K.

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Foolish switch?

I shoot mainly outdoors, either urban exploration or wildlife, with a varity of L glass. The lens selection is 24-70, 70-200, 180 macro, 100-400, 135, 50, and hopefully a 16-35 in the near future. I currently have a 1D MK IV that I am considering putting up to trade for a 1Ds III for the full frame sensor. Is it worth going backwards in technology for the full frame? Other than 35mm film I have never shot full frame. I just can't help to think I may get more from my glass with full frame and more resolution. Any help would be grateful.

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:44 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #2 · Foolish switch?

Depends if you want to take full advantage of your UWA (when you get it).

If you do, full frame is the way to go.

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:49 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Foolish switch?

how important is upgraded AF + Live view + micro adjustments + pixel density +other features to you ? There in lies your answer.

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:01 PM
svassh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Foolish switch?

Why not buy a cheap FF first like the 5D and see what you think? You can always resell the 5D and recoup most or all of your investment.

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:08 PM
Charlie K.

p.1 #5 · Foolish switch?

The thought of buying a 5d came to mind in the beginning. I just dont want my judgement to be swayed by the absence of the 1 series build and features I have become accustomed to. I have not ruled this option out, but figured I would start with feedback first.

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:13 PM
verbiage
• •
p.1 #6 · Foolish switch?

thedutt wrote:
how important is upgraded AF + Live view + micro adjustments + pixel density +other features to you ? There in lies your answer.

1Ds Mark III has Live View (I just handled it in a store - I had to dig in the menus to pull it up, but it's there)

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:25 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Foolish switch?

I shoot the 1DsIII and 1DIII and I have tested the 1D IV and personally, for what you are doing you should stick with the 1D IV.

I consider the 1DsIII a better body for my purposes, shooting at F1.2 and needing as wide as possible for a TS-E24L.

The AUTO-ISO, BUFFER and FRAME RATE are the only reasons I am considering the 1D X, and you have them in the 1D IV.

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:31 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Foolish switch?

The 1DsIII has MA as well. What the 1DIV has over the 1DsIII is a larger buffer, more fps, higher pixel density (important if you're focal length limited, especially for wildlife), a 920K LCD and video. The 1DsIII offers FF over APS-H.

Edited on Jan 18, 2012 at 09:40 PM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:39 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Foolish switch?

I wouldn't do it. 16mm is plenty wide on a 1.3x cropper, and you can do pano's if you want wider. Otherwise consider the Sigma 12-24 mk II or Nikon 14-24 with adapter.

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Foolish switch?

I have a 1DsIII and 1DIV. The features on the 1DsIII are close to the 1DIV with the exception of video, higher resolution back LCD, frame rate, and a few minor others.

I use the 1DsIII for 90% of my photos. I pull out the 1DIV when I want high frame rate, a slightly better AI Servo mode (sports), or more reach (wildlife). The 1DsIII is an excellent all around camera. But so is the 1DIV.

I'm really not clear why you want to go full frame.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Charlie K.

p.1 #11 · Foolish switch?

Not sure if it's a want or a question of " Am I missing out without full frame?". From what I have read so far the anwser is No, unless I want UWA from the 16-35. Don't get me wrong, the MK IV is treating me very well for what I am doing with it, I was just wondering if I was missing something by not having FF. I figured I would ask before I buy or traded so as not to have remorse for a bad decision on my part. To some extent I feel that the quest to be full frame plus all the other goodies may be anwsered in the 1DX, but that is another discussion entirely. My main concern was the current line up and if the switch would bring me something the Mk IV could not deliver or was I better off staying with what I have. That being said I know I am the only one that can truly anwser that, but the input fro the people who have the knowledge and or both bodies is greatly appriciated.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Foolish switch?

Just get a 10-22mm and modify it for use on a 1D.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157604422834954/

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Foolish switch?

Charlie -- For the kinds of subjects you are interested in, you will benefit from FF over APS-H.

I recently used a 1Ds3, and while it takes very nice pictures, for precision LV focusing, it sucks. It isn't really capable (because of the LCD) of resolving ultra fine detail for focus. My 60D is better.

I recommend you keep your 1D4 (which is a brilliant camera), but add the 5D2. Don't worry about build quality, the 5D series is fine for your uses (except for pouring rain). You are right to worry about improved IQ, and the 5D2 has that, plus the better LV, better use of WA lenses, and industry-leading video.

Personally, the 16-35L II is one of my favorite lenses, and I love to use on the 1D2 where it works out to 21mm to 46mm. But that is a long way from what I get when I use the 1Ds2 where it is a full 16-35. Every wide angle mm makes a huge difference at the widest end. Even 16 is noticably wider than 17. Why loose 5mm?

Your 1D4 is a gem, but you need another body with a step up in angle of view and MP quality = 5D2. (original 5D has no LV, and only 12.7 MP -- hard to recover from that!)

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:31 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Foolish switch?

I shoot 1DsIII, 1DIV and 5D bodies at about a 40/40/20 ratio. If I had to keep only one of them, it would be the 1DIV.

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:05 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Foolish switch?

You would get just as much from your glass with a 5D2, and it a lighter package.

Dan

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:21 AM
buddyRoland
• •
p.1 #16 · Foolish switch?

The 1DS3 is a superb camera but I wouldn't trade a 1D4 for it. The 1D4 is much newer with better features. I would try a 5D2 to compliment the 1D4. Rent one and try it out. Rent a 1DS3 and try it out to see if that's what you want. The features of my 1D3 took a while to get used to since I had my 5D2 first but once mastered, it's great.

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:22 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #17 · Foolish switch?

Don't do it. The 1DSIII is a nice body but it's highly overpriced at the moment. Buy a 5DII, 1DSII, or wait for the 5DIII to come out. If the 5DIII comes out with a new AF system I could see the 1DSIII prices tanking because the 5DIII would most likely best it in every way except for build and AF (the AF gap wouldn't be like the current gap though).

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:02 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Foolish switch?

The simple answer is to rent and try it out. Only you can decided what is right for you. But, it is fun to read the shot gun splatter of opinions on this thread.

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:29 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password