Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Help picking a third lens

srubin

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help picking a third lens

I have a t3i with an upgrade to a 60d or 7d in the next 6 months (giving it to my sister).

I have two canon lenses.... a 15-85mm and a 70-200 f4 IS. I need another lens to share with my sister (who is local). So i want something that will compliment the two lenses I already have but be sufficient for her. We can swap lenses around if necessary.

Ive come up with this list in:

1) tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC or non VC i think VC is a better choice.
2) canon 17-55 f2.8 (more than i want to spend)
3) 30mm f1.4 sigma
4) 50mm f1.4 canon

budget is about $6-700 max. id be happy to spend less =).

all the above lenses i think are good additions to what i already have? yet allow her to be independent.

thanks!

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:30 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Help picking a third lens

The Canon 50 f/1.4...Canon 85 f/1.8...get both

Jefferson

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:38 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Help picking a third lens

Sigma 30mm 1.4 and 85 1.8 can both be had (used) for 700. Both are fantastic lenses and will complement your zooms nicely.

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:43 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Help picking a third lens

First off, welcome to FM!

Second, folks will probably want to know what type of shooting you'd like to do with the lens?

If I had to recommend a lens with the info given, I'd go with #4.

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:44 AM
Betacamman
• •
p.1 #5 · Help picking a third lens

I've heard (but never seen myself) that the VC Tamron is not as good optically as the non-VC Tamron. I had the non-VC and it worked pretty well for me.

I'd also lean toward #4.

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:49 AM
srubin

p.1 #6 · Help picking a third lens

thanks for the welcome. FM forums seem to move very fast!

im also a total newbie so some of my questions may seem simple. go easy =)

i currently do family shots, indoors and outdoors, some travel, some landscape. i expect her to do similar stuff with some ebay mixed in.

i was thinking i needed a faster lens. the primes are interesting suggestions to me but arent they (50mm and 85mm) most likely too long on a crop body, the 85mm especially?

two votes for the 85mm but isnt the 70-200 a sufficient lens in say a portrait setting? i guess shooting something like a wedding is an ideal application for the 85mm.

i was leaning towards the tamron 2.8 because its faster than anything i already have yet allows for me to leave her with a decent range and high IQ.

thanks!

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:51 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Help picking a third lens

70-200 f/4L IS is a great lens for IQ in good light, like outdoors...f/1.4 amd f/1.8 will give you better results for portraits and indoor shooting because of the wider apeture...IQ is very good with both the 50 and the 85...both are very good on FF bodies also...inside shots...no flash allowed...indiscrete...many pros have both and use often for the given reasons

Jefferson

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:01 AM
srubin

p.1 #8 · Help picking a third lens

i see you mention FF bodies. i was concerned with the 50 prime on the crop body.

the 50mm tho seems like a good choice. but im then torn between the 50mm and the 30mm sigma.

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:56 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Help picking a third lens

The Canon 50 f/1.4 on the crop would be about 80mm ...in the sweet spot for portraits...you will get a FF...later...that's why I said get both...

Jefferson

Jan 18, 2012 at 04:09 AM
smmokan16
• •
p.1 #10 · Help picking a third lens

Jefferson wrote:
The Canon 50 f/1.4...Canon 85 f/1.8...get both

Jefferson

I thought of these two immediately as well. You have a nice range covered with zooms, so a couple of good primes would complement them perfectly.

Jan 18, 2012 at 04:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #11 · Help picking a third lens

smmokan16 wrote:
I thought of these two immediately as well. You have a nice range covered with zooms, so a couple of good primes would complement them perfectly.

Wise advice from these two.

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:38 AM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #12 · Help picking a third lens

the 50 1.4 would make a great addition to your kit

Jan 19, 2012 at 04:12 AM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Help picking a third lens

You will find that a large amount of people here prefer primes. They are sharper a lot of the times and usually faster. DOF control and low light performance is better. Having said that, a good zoom will go along ways but you are doubling up on a range you already have. The Tamron 17 - 50 F2.8 VC is a great lens, I have it and it has a lot of advantages, though it is a crop lens and should you trade up to a FF camera in the future it will be another lens you won't be able to use. The 30 and 50 primes will give you faster lenses in the focal length that you are looking at as will the Tamron, but not quite as much. Good luck in your decision, have you thought about asking what your sister might want to shoot, if she is going to shoot people more or scenery more that might help you with your decision. Rick

Jan 19, 2012 at 06:15 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #14 · Help picking a third lens

The tamron 17-50 2.8 VC is the perfect all around lens for aps-c. Otherwise the sigma 30 1.4 is the way to go. If you have the money, the canon is nicer than the tamron.

Jan 19, 2012 at 07:11 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Help picking a third lens

If your sister may use your zooms too, I would pick a fast prime. That's what is missing from your line-up. Plus a fast prime is a great tool to learn more about shallow DOF in practice.

Jan 19, 2012 at 07:57 AM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #16 · Help picking a third lens

a couple of folks have suggested the 85 and 50 pair.
If you go the pair route, I'd spread them apart a bit more.
Either 100 f2 and 50 or 85 and 35 f2 or 85 and sigma 30.

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:36 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #17 · Help picking a third lens

Based on your budget, I would go with the 35 f/2 and the 85 f/1.8. You can get both for less than $700. Both are excellent primes. The Sigma 30 is also highly regarded here.

Jan 19, 2012 at 06:07 PM
mjeffbr

p.1 #18 · Help picking a third lens

3) 30mm f1.4 sigma

see no point in considering tamron 17-50 f2.8 and canon 17-55 f2.8 (too expensive) for you have the fov and aperture pretty much covered already

you need a faster lens, one that can be used in low light, and for as many things as possible
50 is too long on a crop and you will regret having your fastest lens limited by the wall behind you, with a 30 (which is basically a real 50 on a crop) you can get a little closer for portraits and it is a great fov for street

Jan 19, 2012 at 07:32 PM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #19 · Help picking a third lens

had the 30mm sigma for a while and loved it. great lens for a crop body. Only sold it becuase I went full frame.

Enjoy!!

Jan 19, 2012 at 07:37 PM
king of canada

p.1 #20 · Help picking a third lens

But beware! You know what they say. "Once you go prime, zooms take too much time!!!!"

Jan 19, 2012 at 07:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password