Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

svassh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

So I took a $300 flyer on a Canon 10-22mm USM lens on Ebay. It has some issues the worst of which appear to be spots on the front element as pictured. I have been assured a 7 day refund period so I took a chance here. The lens will be here tomorrow. I am guessing this is on the outside of the lens as you can see some in the area where the filter screws on also.

Wondering what I can use to clean it that will not destroy any of the lens coating. I imagine I will first try to scrape it off with my fingernail. If I am unable to clean it, any clue what a new front element would run from CPS?

All advice appreciated.

Edited on Jan 18, 2012 at 02:06 AM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:00 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

Fingernail?, I would use Windex first...

Jefferson

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:05 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #3 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

Jefferson wrote:
Fingernail?, I would use Windex first...

Jefferson

That won't damage the lens coating?

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:07 AM
corndog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

I believe the front element is for protection and does nothing optically, but I could easily be wrong about that. However, if that's the case, it looks like you could pull off the plastic ring(scratched piece w/lens info) and replace the element yourself, probably only a few screws.

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:08 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

How did the seller describe the light spots?

As I look at the spots carefully, and the reflections of the multiple tube lights, I notice that the bright points are reflecting mainly off the inner rings/baffle steps inside the front element. See how blown out the light has made the black front of the upper left lens? Even though there are a few dots on the exterior, the shape of the spots is pretty uniform, inside and out. I seriously doubt anything got inside the lens, unless it was submerged.

So there is a strong chance these are simply odd reflections off the normal surfaces and slight dust, not goop or dots or spots on the surface of the front element. In that case, you've scored a terrific bargain!

I've done this several times myself with ebay auctions. Strong direct light maked the camera or lens look seriously flawed, so no one bids! I've gotten an ultra-mint 1Ds (under 7,000 clicks) for $600 and a G10 for $115 (very slight cosmetic marks).

With that return policy you should be well covered.

Please let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck!

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:11 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #6 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

Seller didn't know and appears to be one of those places you drop stuff off and they sell it for you on Ebay. They could not provide any sample photos taken with the lens but did email me they would allow a return if the spots shows in photos so I think Paypal would cover me. Worse case I send it in to Canon for repair and hopefully end up with a working lens for less than the market rate. I'm hoping its just paint or something like that. There is also a spot inside the lens that simply looks like dust to me in another photo.

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:19 AM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #7 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

Lenses are pretty durable. I'd use a wet cloth followed by microfiber cleaning. The key would be technique... wipe the lens and roll the rag in the direction of the wipe, lifting the dirt away from the front element rather than grinding it into the element.

Get the dirt/dust off, then use a microfiber cloth and either your breath or some Eclipse fluid to get it all the way clean.

Good luck! Whatever you do, it's going to look better than it does right now.

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:31 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

svassh wrote:
...I imagine I will first try to scrape it off with my fingernail.

NOO00oo!!!!!!

That's a good way to scratch the coating!

If the foreign material is on the outside of the lens, holding a damp cloth against it for a few minutes to loosen/dissolve the matter, and then CAREFULLY wiping it in short strokes with a microfiber cloth would be what I would do.

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:25 AM
dirb9
• • •
p.1 #9 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

corndog wrote:
I believe the front element is for protection and does nothing optically, but I could easily be wrong about that. However, if that's the case, it looks like you could pull off the plastic ring(scratched piece w/lens info) and replace the element yourself, probably only a few screws.

Only the telephotos have the 'protective front element', and even in those, it is a slightly curved piece of glass that has been accounted for in the optical formula. In all other EF lenses, the front element is an active part of the optical system.
I'd try just starting by wiping it with some distilled water and a microfiber cloth, and elevate to ROR, or methanol if the lens still needed cleaning.

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:47 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

Whoever said Windex was joking I guess. DON'T use windex. +1 for the distilled water + ROR suggestion.

Jan 18, 2012 at 04:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

Look like both sides need to be cleaned and hopefully that's not some fungus we are dealing here:

1) Use a fine needle to lightly push & peel off the lens signature front ring. Becareful at this step since you are going to reuse this ring later on.
2) There are 3 screws underneath the signature ring, the front elements will drop out after unscrew them.

2a) Skip steps 3 & 4 if front elements were packed in one piece (no fluid alows between packed elements - no way to clean them later)

3) Soak the front elements piece by piece in warm soap water for 10 minutes then slowly clean them out with Q-tip
4) Repeat step 3 with fresh water

5) Use vacumn cleaner that's tied w/ starbucks medium straw one end to suck all the dust from the other haft of the lens (front & back)
6) Make sure all dried up then use Eclipe to clean all optical elements that you can reach. Treat this stage like cleaning any image sensor.
7) Reverse what you did

Hope this help

Edited on Jan 18, 2012 at 06:11 AM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2012 at 04:58 AM
ospishus
• •
p.1 #12 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

I don't think that CPS rates will apply to this particular lens? Check the list of qualifying products.
Good luck with the cleaning, if it works out okay you'll have scored a nice inexpensive lens.

Jan 18, 2012 at 05:21 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #13 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

Before touching it, I would first use the heck out of the thing for a few days, just to prove to myself that everything is functioning properly: AF, MF, zoom, aperture blades, etc... If anything is functionally broken, I would return it.

Then, inspect all of the images you have closely. Is there anything you see that suggests the spots have any noticeable impact on IQ? If not, then use the lens as-is until either you see something that's objectionable, or the spots finally drive you insane.

Then, and only then, would I go so far as disassembly and cleaning. Remember, if you're not a pro at this, you must go in assuming the worst, that you could screw it up and end with a paper weight. I wouldn't risk that unless there was a clear benefit, or else the $300 steal turns into a sink-hole.

So, take some shots and post them ASAP

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:47 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #14 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

Modern lens coatings are very hard and don't scratch that easily.

Looks like dandruff to me, so clean it with Head 'n Shoulders.

Blow it off first with a bulb blower, then use normal lens cleaner and lens cloth.

...even if it is pits from photographing arc welding too close, it won't show up in your images if you use the lens hood.

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:21 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

Given that most of the white spots follow the concentric ring pattern of the internal structure, I'd say that a lot of it is dust inside the lens, not on the surface. But I see some other areas that look like possible fungus or contamination on the lens element.

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:55 AM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #16 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

If those are scratches on the front nameplate from physical trauma like they appear to be you might be in store for some mechanical issues that will be harder and much more expensive to fix. Good luck, keep us updated

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM
pegger

p.1 #17 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

For me it lloks like air bubbles in the glass.
Has anyone noticed air bubbles inside any lens?
If you use a flash light you may find some.

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:17 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

sritri wrote:
Whoever said Windex was joking I guess. DON'T use windex. +1 for the distilled water + ROR suggestion.

Windex won't hurt the lens.

It's very effective at removing stubborn material, such as fungus, from lens surfaces. Just avoid scraping the glass with anything hard or abrasive.

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

Yea, windex won't hurt the lens.

Looks like the front end of that thing got HOT, as someone said, probably from either photographing fire or welding.

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:46 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #20 · So what would your approach be to clean this?

acetone FTW!

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password