Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon Warranty Service

Foggy14
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Warranty Service

Hi gang,

I'm in the market for a new camera and set of lenses. I'm not a professional, but a pretty serious hobbyist with a strong interest in landscape and nature photography.

I've been a Nikon shooter for a long time and would have probably just stayed with their gear, but an unpleasant warranty experience has me considering other brands.

The purpose of my post is to get feedback from Canon users on Canon's customer service after the sale and, in particular, warranty service. If you've had experience with both Canon and Nikon customer service, and have any opinions about how they compare, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Edited on Jan 18, 2012 at 01:50 AM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2012 at 06:49 PM
gvg45
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Warranty Service

I've used Canon service a couple of times and I'd say my experience has been pretty good. I did have to send 1 lens back 3 times to get right but other warranty or repair service visits have been resolved in only 1 trip.

I'm somewhat within reasonable driving distance to their Irvine facility, so I always drop/pick up my equipment there.

For warranty work, as with Nikon, just keep a copy of the purchase receipt. One thing to keep in mind in your transition, Canon lenses are only 1 year warranty as opposed to Nikon's 5 year.

Jan 17, 2012 at 07:28 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Warranty Service

I joined CPS a couple of years back, they expedite service, and its been very good. They treat you very well, well worth the $100 a year for the gold membership, assuming you qualify.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Warranty Service

I used Canon service both as a CPS member and not. Never had any issues with the repairs.
Warranty repairs were very fast door-to-door and CPS the same. Non CPS were done in a reasonable amount of time.
Dan

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:02 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Warranty Service

I've had to send in probably 50% or more of my new Canon EOS cameras and L lenses for one reason or another, and they always corrected the issues, with one exception: I had to send in a 7D four times for inconsistent single-shot AF, and they ended up sending me a new one after the fourth time. The new one was okay.

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:18 PM
vince_ross

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Warranty Service

I've sent 2 lenses in for service over the years, 1 was in warranty (70-200 IS II), 1 ended up not being covered by the warranty (100-400L). The 70-200 needed the IS replaced along with another lens element and was returned good as new without a problem (within a week). The 100-400 needed the zoom friction ring replaced along with the IS. That repair took about 3 weeks due to backordered parts. When I got the 100-400 back, it was better than before, smoother zoom, sharper image wide open, and more responsive IS.

I've had some other stuff done too, but it wasn't warranty work. Just some shutter replacements and cleanings and such. In all, I've been very happy with Canon from a service standpoint (and equipment too obviously ).

Jan 18, 2012 at 04:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Foggy14
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Warranty Service

Thanks for the feedback!

Jan 18, 2012 at 04:39 PM
misternikko
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Warranty Service

took me 2 tries to get my new 35L calibrated to work with my 5D...i suspect they only did the mirror fix on the 5d during the first trip and ignored the 35L....the second time however...they came back amazing. I will never sell either now, theyre that good together. It was all free, even the shipping, so i didnt mind doing it twice.

Jan 18, 2012 at 05:00 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Warranty Service

The quality of service is largely dependent on luck of the draw. Ive had 2 go through flawlessly and 1 took a good 1 hr on phone and an escalation to get it taken care of.

IMO, dont leave your familiar system just due to a service issue, its usually 6 of one kind and half dozen of another

Jan 19, 2012 at 06:02 AM
tonywong88
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Warranty Service

I've used Canon service before CPS and after. Both times they were very accommodating and responsive. I've been satisfied with Canon Canada service.

Jan 19, 2012 at 07:57 PM
Foggy14
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Warranty Service

Thanks much for the input everyone.

Jan 21, 2012 at 01:55 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password