Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Yellowstone Winter Pt 5- The Prosaics... Bison and Elk

Twisties
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yellowstone Winter Pt 5- The Prosaics... Bison and Elk

Sightings of bison and elk are never uncommon in Yellowstone. Nevertheless, I found it challenging to make pleasing images. We saw, and heard, wolves. My don't they sing a beautiful haunting chorus! Our images are the, "See, we saw a wolf." sort of thing. Not enough glass, patience, and dedication for more.

Speaking of glass, I never saw more, or finer, in any one place. The wolf crew is out at dawn (or maybe before, I wouldn't know about that) and stays until dark. A convoy of vehicles will stake out an area based on whatever intelligence is available. Sometimes they a bit split up, or even in two camps, but in the same general area. Vehicles and gear are ready for winter, hot beverages abound, and it is in some way a bit of a tailgate party. If vehicles are on the road folk will deploy warning signs, and man the lookouts. Tripods of every caliber underlie glass of every description. Spotting scopes and cameras fitted with big glass are the norm here. When we would peer in our welcome was warm. One is quickly advised of group ethics. A running motor obscures the howl of the wolves. Turn it off ASAP.

Perhaps another time we will join the hunt. For now it was a thrill to see them lazing on a high slope beneath a grove of trees while the remains of their kill, an elk, was attracting eagles, raven, magpie, and others near the roadside. As well, to watch them run the the ridge line, their coats flowing in classic lines. More disturbing, to lose our best chance at a worthwhile capture as people pursued them in an open field.

Here are my favorite bison and elk shots. Not the biggest elk we saw by far, but the best light and setting.

Jan 14, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yellowstone Winter Pt 5- The Prosaics... Bison and Elk

You are so right about getting a really nice Bison shot. The one you came home with is a beauty alright. I would prefer the not having its feet chopped off

Tim

Jan 14, 2012 at 07:27 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yellowstone Winter Pt 5- The Prosaics... Bison and Elk

Very nice indeed Jan. I like the first one. I can relate to your description of the wolf crew. I saw them in September and I must admit it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I left my 'wide angle' 70-200 firmly in the car
David

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:42 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yellowstone Winter Pt 5- The Prosaics... Bison and Elk

A couple of great shots Jan.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM
katzung1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yellowstone Winter Pt 5- The Prosaics... Bison and Elk

I was part of one of those Yellowstone wolf crews in 2005 and I rented a 500mm. It was cheap compared to the cost of the trip and worth every penny!
http://www.astronomy-images.com/day-images/Yellowstone/yellowstone_national_park.htm

Bert

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yellowstone Winter Pt 5- The Prosaics... Bison and Elk

Super images Jan

Morris

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:50 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •