Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Pier at Tybee Island

GFountain
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pier at Tybee Island

Shots taken last fall outside of Savannah. Comments welcome.

Greg

Jan 14, 2012 at 02:11 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pier at Tybee Island

Greg:
I like the effect of the starburst/flare in the second but it makes the image look muddy to me, I would experiment with contrast here. The first is very nice and crisp.
Douglas

Jan 14, 2012 at 02:17 PM
GFountain
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pier at Tybee Island

Thanks Douglas. That lack of contrast was actually on purpose. I find I tend to push the contrast to high sometimes. Trying to find that balance. Comments on the forum are a great way to get feedback.

Greg

Jan 14, 2012 at 02:34 PM
jdrenda
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pier at Tybee Island

very nice Greg,#1 for me thanks for sharing. John

Jan 14, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pier at Tybee Island

Liking the second one best. A nice view with the sun included. +1 on the slight boost of contrast here.

Jan 14, 2012 at 03:43 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pier at Tybee Island

Neat to see, Greg. I was at that exact spot, trying to get a good starburst image too, last October.
I prefer the first image. The symmetries are nice, extending beyond the structure to the shapes in the water. The perspective is, of course, fine.
I agree with douglas about the second. I think it needs more contrast and would work better a bit more "crisp". Since its an angles shot, I kind of wish the starburst wasnt so much centered in this image, or that the pier angled away more dynamically.
Personally I wasnt too happy with what I came up with. Maybe I'll post one to see what others think since its a neat place.
Scott

Jan 14, 2012 at 03:45 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pier at Tybee Island

Greg,
I sure like the rework on the second you have here. It would be cool to track the sun as it makes its way to the center of the pier and then on the day it is centered you could catch the symmetry of the first with the sun centered at the horizon in there as well.

Where did it go ?

Jan 14, 2012 at 04:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GFountain
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pier at Tybee Island

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Greg,
I sure like the rework on the second you have here. It would be cool to track the sun as it makes its way to the center of the pier and then on the day it is centered you could catch the symmetry of the first with the sun centered at the horizon in there as well.

Where did it go ?

Thanks Klaus. Sorry deleted image. Saw something I didn't like. Here is the rework.
Greg

Jan 14, 2012 at 04:53 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pier at Tybee Island

I like the water reflection in #1 and might play with cropping the image much tighter to emphasize this.
regards, tom

Jan 14, 2012 at 05:51 PM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pier at Tybee Island

Neat shots, the rework of the star burst shot works very well and I love the depth of the first one.

Cheers Ray

Jan 14, 2012 at 07:56 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pier at Tybee Island

GFountain wrote:
Thanks Douglas. That lack of contrast was actually on purpose. I find I tend to push the contrast to high sometimes. Trying to find that balance. Comments on the forum are a great way to get feedback.

Greg

I like both images, Greg.
With the first shot, you've proven that no matter how hard it is to shoot a good symmetrical pic from straight on, it IS possible. A fine interpretation.

Regarding Douglas's comment about contrast on your second image, I agree with him on this image, although such things are very much a matter of individual choice- and the final choice is always that of the photographer.
Taking Douglas's words- and applying my thoughts to them- I'm thinking that using contrast/brightness would be a good way to control what looks to me as a too-bright image. The camera is aimed straight at the sun, so there would be strong shadows under the pier- that we don't see.
To get those shadows, I experimented with contrast/ brightness. There is an infinity of possible results. I've included one to bring strong shadows into the image. If you'd like me to pull my version- just say so- no harm. After all, it's just my opinion .
Charlie

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:16 PM
GFountain
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pier at Tybee Island

Thanks Charlie. The original RAW file was more like the one that you reworked. I wanted to bring out more of the detail in the dark areas of the pier. To much? maybe, maybe not.

I do agree totally with you about that it does all come down to individual choice. Some like a soft moody look and others a more dramatic look with lots of detail. Unless pushed to far neither being incorrect.

Greg

Jan 15, 2012 at 02:02 AM
Jred
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pier at Tybee Island

Greg - I really like the first image. Great capture.

John

Jan 15, 2012 at 04:45 AM
T-bone1
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pier at Tybee Island

Love the flare on the second image!

-Tim

Jan 16, 2012 at 01:44 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password