Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Bridge and Bayou

Jred
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Bridge and Bayou

Here's a shot of Central Houston taken on New Years Eve. Enjoy!!

Edited on Jan 14, 2012 at 02:13 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2012 at 02:35 AM
LDRider
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Bridge and Bayou

Very nice.
What do you think about cropping out the bottom third?

JP

Jan 14, 2012 at 03:48 AM
Jred
• • •
p.1 #3 · Bridge and Bayou

Here is the crop, certainly a more square image.

Jan 14, 2012 at 02:09 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Bridge and Bayou

Jred:
Is there a set-up that allows only the one pedestrian bridge to show? I think that may have been the biggest issue I have had with this series.
Douglas

Jan 14, 2012 at 02:13 PM
Jred
• • •
p.1 #5 · Bridge and Bayou

Douglas I can certainly look. They are very close together and run at slightly oppose angles.

John

Jan 14, 2012 at 02:17 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Bridge and Bayou

I prefer the first. I think the reflection of the bridge on the water brings the eye into the buildings and adds more depth to the image.

Jan 14, 2012 at 03:48 PM
Jred
• • •
p.1 #7 · Bridge and Bayou

Klaus - many thanks. I like this image but have struggled with presentation.

John

Jan 14, 2012 at 04:53 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Bridge and Bayou

I like #1; it reminds me of high contrast images of New York from the 40's or 50's. good shooting.
regards, tom

Jan 14, 2012 at 05:53 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Bridge and Bayou

I prefer the first, but the crop also works.
The framing of the first is, to me, more interesting.
The reflections are nice.
Scott

Jan 14, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Bridge and Bayou

I like them both, but I prefer the first

Cheers Ray

Jan 14, 2012 at 07:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Bridge and Bayou

John,
I really like the shot and the processing.
My preference is for the crop. That's mainly because I have an aversion of vertical compositions when the dominant feature is horizontal (not a whole lot of people agree with that, however, and that's fair). In this case, although the city might well be the main subject, the dominant features in this pic are the bridge and its reflection.
Charlie

Jan 14, 2012 at 08:25 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Bridge and Bayou

Charlie Shugart wrote:
John,
My preference is for the crop. That's mainly because I have an aversion of vertical compositions when the dominant feature is horizontal (not a whole lot of people agree with that, however, and that's fair). In this case, although the city might well be the main subject, the dominant features in this pic are the bridge and its reflection.
Charlie

Agree!!!

Jan 14, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Jred
• • •
p.1 #13 · Bridge and Bayou

tomandmarj wrote:
I like #1; it reminds me of high contrast images of New York from the 40's or 50's. good shooting.
regards, tom

High Praise, thank you Tom.

sbeme wrote:
I prefer the first, but the crop also works.
The framing of the first is, to me, more interesting.
The reflections are nice.
Scott

Scott - the crop has grown on me with time. Appreciate you thoughts.

Dougo wrote:
I like them both, but I prefer the first

Cheers Ray

Ray - I like the first one too.

Charlie Shugart wrote:
John,
Charlie

Charlie - I completely agree with your comp thoughts. I broke the rules on this one badly. I hate rules. Thank you for pointing that out.

John

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:14 PM
Jred
• • •
p.1 #14 · Bridge and Bayou

Here is a horizontal crop. Is this more appealing?

Jan 15, 2012 at 03:42 PM
santos
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Bridge and Bayou

I'd go for the two frames "sandwiching" the city between the bridge and its reflection.
Beautiful nocturnal view, combining elements of landscape and urbanscape. Between 1 and 3, my preference would go for the landscape orientation, it is a tad more dynamic and shows more.

santiago

Jan 15, 2012 at 03:45 PM
LDRider
• • •
p.1 #16 · Bridge and Bayou

Jred wrote:
Here is a horizontal crop. Is this more appealing?

That works much better for me considering the subject orientation.

JP

Jan 15, 2012 at 04:03 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Bridge and Bayou

LDRider wrote:
That works much better for me considering the subject orientation.

JP

+1
This version is my favorite of the set. It works so much better with this orientation IMHO.

Jan 15, 2012 at 04:13 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Bridge and Bayou

Rules?

"Photography is not a sport. It has no rules. Everything must be dared and tried!" - Bill Brandt

"When subject matter is forced to fit into preconceived patterns, there can be no freshness of vision. Following rules of composition can only lead to a tedious repetition of pictorial cliches." - Edward Weston

"There are no rules and regulations for perfect composition. If there were we would be able to put all the information into a computer and would come out with a masterpiece. We know that's impossible. You have to compose by the seat of your pants." - Arnold Newman

"Anything that excites me, for any reason, I will photograph: not searching for unusual subject matter but making the commonplace unusual, nor indulging in extraordinary technique to attract attention. Work only when desire to the point of necessity impels – then do it honestly. Then so called “composition” becomes a personal thing, to be developed along with technique, as a personal way of seeing." - Edward Weston

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams

"To compose a subject well means no more than to see and present it in the strongest manner possible." - Edward Weston

"And in not learning the rules, I was free. I always say, you're either defined by the medium or you redefine the medium in terms of your needs." - Duane Michals

"What I write here is a description of what I have come to understand about photography, from photographing and from looking at photographs. A work of art is that thing whose form and content are organic to the tools and materials that made it. Still photography is a chemical, mechanical process. Literal description or the illusion of literal description, is what the tools and materials of still photography do better than any other graphic medium. A still photograph is the illusion of a literal description of how a camera saw a piece of time and space. Understanding this, one can postulate the following theorem: Anything and all things are photographable. A photograph can only look like how the camera saw what was photographed. Or, how the camera saw the piece of time and space is responsible for how the photograph looks. Therefore, a photograph can look any way. Or, there's no way a photograph has to look (beyond being an illusion of a literal description). Or, there are no external or abstract or preconceived rules of design that can apply to still photographs. I like to think of photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect for the medium, by letting it do what it does best, describe. And respect for the subject, by describing as it is. A photograph must be responsible to both." - Garry Winogrand

Jan 15, 2012 at 05:29 PM
CDaescher
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Bridge and Bayou

All of them have a differed feel and are all appealing to me. Preference is a matter of taste I think.
Very nice and interesting scenery.
Chris

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Bridge and Bayou

John- Regarding the last image (horizontal orientation):
I like it- but I prefer the "more square" crop preceding it. That's because the additional stuff on the right side of the last image doesn't really add anything IMO.
All this is subjective opinion, of course .
Charlie

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password