Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Monopod/head setup for Canon 800mm

gschrade
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Monopod/head setup for Canon 800mm

I am looking to get a monopod and head for a Canon 800mm lens. Any suggestions for this heavy-duty setup?

Thanks in advance, George

Jan 11, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Monopod/head setup for Canon 800mm

In a perfect world, I'd say always use a tripod with that lens, but if you have a specific need for amonopod, I'd suggest a Gitzo 5 series carbon fiber monopod, then attach a Quick release attachment for the top --- no head.

Jan 11, 2012 at 03:00 PM
gschrade
• • •
p.1 #3 · Monopod/head setup for Canon 800mm

Thanks Ben. I plan on using a tripod most of the time, but wanted to take the lens hiking sometimes and did not want to carry the tripod and gimbal head while hiking, so was looking for a monopod setup. Any suggestions on the quick release attachment?

George

Jan 11, 2012 at 03:05 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Monopod/head setup for Canon 800mm

RRS has a great monopod head, the MH-1 Pro. The drawback is its price.... Check it out: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MH-01-Pro&type=0

Jan 11, 2012 at 03:16 PM
InternetJunky
• •
p.1 #5 · Monopod/head setup for Canon 800mm

Ben Horne wrote:
then attach a Quick release attachment for the top --- no head.

+1

For the monopod, definitely go for a carbon fiber model. I started with a cheaper model initially for my 600mm and it warped and nearly broke on me. I prefer the monopods with the clasps you can flip up/down to extend/retract, and others prefer the ones you twist. It comes down to personal preference.

There is little need for a head on the monopod though. I use an arca swiss quick release adapter on the top of my monopod. I can hike with my 600mm over my shoulder and have no fear of the lens falling off.

Cheers,
Harry C

Jan 11, 2012 at 03:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NikkorAIS
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #6 · Monopod/head setup for Canon 800mm

If I have to use a mono-pod with super-telephoto's I still use my Wimberly with the mono-pod.
Being able to tilt up and down with out leaning the stick is a huge plus.

Being able to tilt the Camera/lens for transport over the shoulder is also very nice if your walking any sort of distance.

I just bought a manfrotto 681 and combined with my Wimberly it's a workable solution with super telephoto's. I find the way this mono-pod changes levels with the levers is much easier one handed than the twisting method of my last one.

I still think using a mon pod is a less than perfect solution with focal length's over 300 mm, but having the right mono-pod with the Wimberly makes it tolerable.

Nikkor 800 5.6 IF-ED AI-S on D2H on Mono-pod and Wimberly

Gregory

Jan 11, 2012 at 03:34 PM
gschrade
• • •
p.1 #7 · Monopod/head setup for Canon 800mm

Thanks Harry and Gregory

Jan 11, 2012 at 03:51 PM
gschrade
• • •
p.1 #8 · Monopod/head setup for Canon 800mm

AGeoJO wrote:
RRS has a great monopod head, the MH-1 Pro. The drawback is its price.... Check it out: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MH-01-Pro&type=0

Does look like a nice setup.

Thanks, George

Jan 11, 2012 at 03:57 PM
Sizeman
• •
p.1 #9 · Monopod/head setup for Canon 800mm

That is the set up to get - I shoot with that set up on their large monopod with the 400mm, 600mm and the 800mm when needed. THe manfrotto monopods do not hold up as well (680/681etc) been there done that. If you use the plates then it is easy to mount on wither the MH-01 or the wimberly gimbal

good luck and have fun

Steve

Jan 11, 2012 at 04:10 PM
gschrade
• • •
p.1 #10 · Monopod/head setup for Canon 800mm

Thanks Steve

Jan 11, 2012 at 04:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password