New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Faulty 35L?

Dergiman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Faulty 35L?

Hi,

bought a new Canon 35L lens but i am less than impressed by itīs wide open performance. There are a lot of CAs but i expected this. At the edges there is very strong halation, is this normal (2nd image)? Center sharpness is good IMHO (image 3). This is at f1.4 on 5d2.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29285035/Images%20for%20Linking/IMG_7018-3.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29285035/Images%20for%20Linking/IMG_7018-2.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29285035/Images%20for%20Linking/IMG_7018.jpg

What do you think? Is my copy of 35L a lemon? Is yours the same?

Jan 11, 2012 at 08:04 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Faulty 35L?

Normal. (actually I think you have a good copy) The edges will always be softer at 1.4. Frankly it is difficult to shoot outdoors at 1.4 unless it is dusk unless you use an ND filter. The ghosting will dissapear when you stop down some (2.0 should do it) Got to remember this is not meant to be a landscape lens used at 1.4 in the daylight. Try some wide open shots in a normally lit room, it will be less noticable. What you have to remember is that this is just part of the lens and if you were to compare it to any other lens at 2.0 or wider you would find the 35L better. The link below should give you an idea of what to expect at the edges and corners wide open

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=121&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=122&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Jan 11, 2012 at 09:47 AM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Faulty 35L?

thanks, i know the digital picture website. that is why i was expecting the strong CA. but the halation is scaring me a bit. once had a manual 50mm lens that had lots of halos and was really soft wide open.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Faulty 35L?

I'd say it is normal. I used to own the Canon 35mm f/1.4L but was never really happy with the performance wide open (especially when focusing towards the edge)
The Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 and Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 will give you sharp and better contrast towards the corners but are manual focus lenses. I'm not sure if that matters to you.

Jan 11, 2012 at 01:22 PM
nWmR12
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Faulty 35L?

Agreed with the others it looks fine to me. Not sure if it is any worse than mine but I tend to not focus on the edges wide open. I must say I haven't noticed any ghosting on the edges on mine but I have never really looked for it.

Jan 11, 2012 at 04:11 PM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Faulty 35L?

The EF 35/1.4L has pronounced coma in the image periphery on a full frame sensor when shot at apertures faster than f/2.8. This is what you are seeing in your sample images. It is one of the known shortcomings of this lens. A future update to this design should reduce this aberration.

Jan 11, 2012 at 04:33 PM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Faulty 35L?

wickerprints wrote:
The EF 35/1.4L has pronounced coma in the image periphery on a full frame sensor when shot at apertures faster than f/2.8. This is what you are seeing in your sample images. It is one of the known shortcomings of this lens. A future update to this design should reduce this aberration.

Shouldnīt Coma point to the center of the image instead of this radial style?

Jan 12, 2012 at 02:38 AM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Faulty 35L?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'd say it is normal. I used to own the Canon 35mm f/1.4L but was never really happy with the performance wide open (especially when focusing towards the edge)
The Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 and Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 will give you sharp and better contrast towards the corners but are manual focus lenses. I'm not sure if that matters to you.

I also have the ZE35/2, but bought 35L for the AF!

Jan 12, 2012 at 02:39 AM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Faulty 35L?

wickerprints wrote:

Dergiman wrote:
Shouldnīt Coma point to the center of the image instead of this radial style?

Not necessarily. You can see examples of coma in the reivews on LensTip, as well as in Canon's EF Lens Work (8th ed., ch. 10, pg 199, fig. 2). Comatic flare typically manifests in a fashion that might suggest a pair of "wings" emanating from the image point. See here:

http://www.lenstip.com/170.7-Lens_review-Canon_EF_35_mm_f_1.4L_USM_Coma_and_astigmatism.html

Coma typically causes blurring in the tangential direction, consistent with what we are seeing in the OP's sample images.

Jan 12, 2012 at 02:58 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.