Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Jesse1981

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Hello there.

Well this is my first post and I am extremely new to photography and am looking for some advice.
I am in the process of buying a camera (canon 7D) with 430EXII speedlight.
I really want to get into macro. Its probably my main interested. However portrait and other things would be good too.

So I am looking at the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Camera Lens for about $1000
Or the Tamron 18 - 270,, PZD for about $600
My budget only allows me to get one lens for now.

I know the tamron is not a macro lens and cant do 1:1. However if there is a way I can use it for macro it would be good as it is cheaper and much more versatile.

I've heard of lens reversal and tubes etc.
Can anyone give me some advice on which way I should go and my options.

Thanks heaps.

Jesse

Jan 11, 2012 at 09:24 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

there are many ways a lens can be used for macro (or at least closer to 1:1)
extension tubes , correction filters and a reversed other lens (normally a cheap old 50mm) can all be used
BUT and its a big BUT
all have downsides. drop in quality is a big one of them.
the 100L is a supurb lens but as you have a budget I would suggest not blowing the lot on the 100L
there are many truly good macros out there starting . if you just look in the 100mm range you can get
Tamron 90 (a classic) , Sigma 105 (the older non OS is still a very good lens) and the Canon 100 USM . any of these will do great macro work.
OK you dont get stabilisation but that will never replace a good support for macro anyway.

then you could also buy a more standard lens. as well .

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Copypaste
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Yeah, definitely go for a dedicated macro + an additional lens. Good advice from Ian.

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM
timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

There's a huge difference in image quality between those 2 lenses. I would suggest a non-IS macro such as the canon 100/2.8 macro and the tamron 17-50/2.8. Combined those are in the neighborhood you are talking about, and the 100 macro makes a nice portrait lens in addition to being a macro lens. Save money on the macro buying used here on the B&S forum

Jan 11, 2012 at 01:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Good advice above, IMO.
For macro work, the IS will generally not make enough of a difference. You will still want to work mostly on a tripod and/or with plenty of light.
The Canon 100 Macro 2.8 (non-IS) is a great lens. I have had two. Very sharp, fine portrait lens, and I have even done some landscape shots with it. And the price is right. Check BS. Probably cost you $400-450 used. I dont know the Sigma but have heard good things.
What else are you planning on shooting? Following this advice, you will have about $600 left over!
Scott

Jan 11, 2012 at 01:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Oh, and I would avoid the superzooms for anything other than vacation snapshots. They have just too many compromises in image quality to get such a huge range. Take a look at one of the review sites such as "the-digital-picture.com" or slrgear.com. I like the-digital-picture because he has crops of a standard test target, and you can compare 2 different lenses at various aperture/FL settings on one screen.

Jan 11, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Jesse1981

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Thanks for all the advice. plenty of it on here.
I have decided to get the canon 100mm macro lens and I will also get a second lens for every day use. By the sounds of it it is the best way to go. Hopefully that way I can keep a balance and get my skills up a bit. Thanks for all the help

Hopefully soon I will be able to post up some of my shots

Jan 12, 2012 at 01:28 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Good choice on the macro.

I notice you posted inthe macro forum which is a good thing. While your in there take a good look (if you havnt already) at the post your rig thread. It will help you design a rig that suits you. If you have a7D and 430 flash you have most of the ingredients you should need. A off camera cord (may even be able to get the 7D to master the flash without cord) and some sort of bracket (usually mostly home made) and I'm sure you will have many great hours of macro shooting

Jan 12, 2012 at 01:37 AM
Jesse1981

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Thanks Ian. Yeah I have been looking at the rigs in the macro area. I see some good idea's and have been thinking about a bracket for my flash. I can run it wireless so no cords needed which is handy. Looking forward to getting to gear and getting into it for now I will keep browsing the site

Jan 12, 2012 at 07:52 AM
ShaneEngelking
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

timbop wrote:
There's a huge difference in image quality between those 2 lenses. I would suggest a non-IS macro such as the canon 100/2.8 macro and the tamron 17-50/2.8. Combined those are in the neighborhood you are talking about, and the 100 macro makes a nice portrait lens in addition to being a macro lens. Save money on the macro buying used here on the B&S forum

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Jan 12, 2012 at 08:59 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password