Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D MkII vs 1Ds MkII

Rich Swanner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D MkII vs 1Ds MkII

How is the 5D MkII center AF compared to the 1Ds MkII ? I have the 1Ds MkII and have heard that the 5D MkII does not AF as well as the 1Ds MkII in all aspects, but is about the same in center AF. I like the 1D MKII for sports and BIF. If the 5D MK II is similar that could work for me since I only use the center for these two things. I have a 1D MK II N also for sports, BIF, but like the FF format and it's resolution, DOF etc....Thanks Rich

Jan 11, 2012 at 04:26 AM
stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D MkII vs 1Ds MkII

I've had better success with the 1Ds2 in servo mode than with the 5D2, regardless of the AF point. But I am sure you'll find plenty contradictory statements

Jan 11, 2012 at 04:30 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D MkII vs 1Ds MkII

I own the 1Ds II and had a 5D II for 3 days (loan).. I prefer the 1Ds II.. The 5D has newer gadgets, live view and more pixels but I do need that stuff.

Jan 11, 2012 at 04:40 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D MkII vs 1Ds MkII

Rich Swanner wrote:
How is the 5D MkII center AF compared to the 1Ds MkII ?

Not even close to any 1Ds2 outer(s) when come to closer subject wider fast lenses or any short FL lenses w/back lit condition. For manual lenses then ofc 5d2 is way better w/ LV. From far away subject, 5D2 center AF handle pretty well just like any cam on its league. $1600 brand new 5d2 is no brainer... i would, even it has only 9 stops usable DR (banding constraint). It's perfect for tripod shooter but it is little short for other application. It's still one of my favorite vacation camera.

Edited on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2012 at 06:14 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D MkII vs 1Ds MkII

the only reason i kept the 5d2 over the 1ds2 is for the video.

the 5d2 does an "okay" job with center point only. 1ds2 is better.

i shot these tonight with 5d2 center point only is servo mode with a 200 f/1.8.

over all the 5d2 did a good job

Jan 11, 2012 at 06:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D MkII vs 1Ds MkII

Last fall I shot several games (kids) with the 5dII and was pleasantly surprised. Using center focus, I felt that I had a high keeper rate with this camera.

crop - focus on # 4

I usually shoot with a 1DIII and the only thing I missed was the rapid fps of the 1DIII, otherwise the 5DII did a fine job. Internet chatter lead me to believe that very few shots would be in focus, but that was not the case.

Jan 11, 2012 at 06:48 AM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D MkII vs 1Ds MkII

I had heard that the 1Ds MkII for most people was better in the center too. The examples look very good ...200 f/1.8 s some lens... What 300 was that in the other pics ?

Jan 12, 2012 at 05:31 AM
Silken

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D MkII vs 1Ds MkII

I pretty much agree with the above analysis: 1DsII AF > 5DII AF for all intents and purposes...except it doesn't focus in live view (or have it).

Jan 12, 2012 at 06:08 AM
RazorTM
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D MkII vs 1Ds MkII

I loved the 1DsII except that it was much, much slower at reviewing images. Painfully slow compared to the 5DII. Plus, it lacked all the features mentioned above. The 1DsIII was really an amazing camera, being basically a combination of the 1DsII and 5DII.

Jan 12, 2012 at 06:35 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D MkII vs 1Ds MkII

Rich Swanner wrote:
I had heard that the 1Ds MkII for most people was better in the center too. The examples look very good ...200 f/1.8 s some lens... What 300 was that in the other pics ?

300 f4, the last was a 500mm f4

Jan 12, 2012 at 07:07 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password