New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Jred
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

I shoot with a 7D. I have 2 580exII units I use for slaves. Using the infrared TTL settings and the built in flash unit, I have been having great difficulty getting these units to fire any time I try to backlight a subject.

Are there any suggestions or tricks that I should know?

Many thanks,

John

Jan 10, 2012 at 04:48 PM
pete.herts.UK

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Are you sure you arent blocking the IR to any of the units, and they can all see each other?.... If one of the flashes is behind the subject, they could be blocking the IR receiver.
Does this happen inside as well as outside?

Jan 10, 2012 at 04:53 PM
Scubastu
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Make sure that the sensors on the Speedlite have line of sight on the pop up of the 7D, another option is to run 1 as a master using an extra long TTL cord from Syl Arena. www .http://ocfgear.com/ettl-cord-extra-long/ then just make sure that the slave unit can see the output of the master.

S.

Jan 10, 2012 at 04:54 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Thats the problem with backlighting. No way to see the units directly without destroying the effect.

I like the idea of the tethered unit but requires me to buy another 580.

John

Jan 10, 2012 at 05:07 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Options:

Pocket Wizard's ControlTL system
Radio Popper's P1

OR

Less expensive radio slaves will work just fine if you don't use TTL (which you shouldn't when shooting lighting that doesn't change).

You will get TONS of info on FM when you do a search on the forums to learn more about these options. It's been discussed several times over.

Jan 10, 2012 at 05:30 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Thanks Cordell!

Jan 10, 2012 at 06:30 PM
Scubastu
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Apparently these do radio TTL...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PIXEL-KING-E-TTL-Flash-Trigger-CANON-w-2-Receivers-/230667916062?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item35b4e1131e

S.

Jan 10, 2012 at 06:57 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Scuba - They look cool and pretty inexpensive. Has anyone tried these units?

Jan 10, 2012 at 07:12 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

I would not use PW with 580EX II. They tend to burn the flash out. Well technically it has something to do with the 580's design.

Jan 10, 2012 at 07:14 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Like the ST-E2 the built-in flash on the 7D isn't the optimal master source. I get very good results by using a Master 580ex on a camera-flip bracket as fill, with a another 580ex off camera.

While a bracket might seem cumbersome if you've never used one it positions the flash ideally for flattering "butterfly" style modeling in single flash shots and makes using two flashes simpler logisitically because fill is always ideally on-axis and nearly shadowless and there is only one stand to wrangle.

See: http://photo.nova.org/CanonPracticalUsage/

Jan 10, 2012 at 08:07 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Nice write up Charles. Thank you.

Jan 10, 2012 at 08:33 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Jred wrote:
Thats the problem with backlighting. No way to see the units directly without destroying the effect. I like the idea of the tethered unit but requires me to buy another 580.

If you're using one 580 for the back light and one 580 for the main (front) light, you could raise the front light, set to Master and on an ETTL cord, high enough that some of its light spills over the subject and onto the slave 580.

If you're using both 580s as back lights for a sillouette effect, and controlling them with the pop-up flash, then you may be able to move them outward until the sensors can see the camera, and use the swiveling heads to point the beams at your subject's back. Use flags to prevent the light from the slaves hitting the camera directly. If the slaves and the flags then show in your image, you may be able to remove them with Photoshop.

BTW, this is the long ETTL cord I have:

http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0125/index.shtml

Jan 11, 2012 at 02:06 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Don't waste your money on the st-e2! Get a reflector and or a long Ettl cord and learn them before buying more flashes these should run less than $100 if you shop around. Save it for something that will work outside in full daylight light a 400 or 500 series flash.

Jan 14, 2012 at 07:59 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Jred wrote:
[The Pixel Kings] look cool and pretty inexpensive. Has anyone tried these units?

I wouldn't get them, because it seems they aren't fully compatible with the Canon system.

It also seems that the "hot shoe" on the transmitter is non-functioning. (So why is it there? They may introduce a control module someday, a la the PW AC-3 Zone Controler.)

I'm going by Pixel's own Web site, which says:

17 Do not support flashes using mixed modes, such as E-TTL and M together
18 No support for strobe mode
19 No support for Canon wireless flash system
20 No support for bracket exposure
21 No support for directly controlling flash mode and power for EX series flash as camera menu
22 Receiver does not support camera shutter and flash trigger at the same time.
23 Transmitter‘s hot shoe is NOT used for flashgun

Jan 15, 2012 at 03:56 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Thanks for the help guys.

Jan 15, 2012 at 05:32 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

Zenon Char wrote:
I would not use PW with 580EX II. They tend to burn the flash out. Well technically it has something to do with the 580's design.

Wow. Talk about sweeping statement that eliminates most of the reasons behind this....starting with users who don't always use equipment as they should.

Jan 15, 2012 at 06:04 PM
SeedyBee

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

BrianO overlooks the Pixel King's extensive implementation of Canon technology. I have been using them for almost a year and have few practical reservations.

17. Canon Flash Control Menus does not support mixed modes, so the Kings cannot support what is not there. A non-menu-controlled mixed mode can be used.

19. The Kings' RF replaces Canon wireless.

20. DSLR instant feedback has made bracketing largely redundant.

21. Canon has not made such legacy Speedlites controllable, even by Canon.

Canon A:B ETTL ratios are not available, which is annoying. ETTL/FEC/HSS/2CS are available with most Speedlites. The Kings would suit Jred well. Running your entire flash system from your camera menus is great!

Alternatively, the Pixel Componor multi-cable system could be used. It's cheap and makes a great backup for the Kings.

Jan 17, 2012 at 02:20 AM
patrickphoto
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 580 EXII Dilemma

RP with Yongyuo flashes. bought five flashes, stands, and radio poppers, plus som gels for the price of the two 580's I sold..

Jan 17, 2012 at 02:28 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.