New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lens choice

adrianb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens choice

My current gear consists of 5D II, 24L II, 50 1.4 and 135L

I like using primes but I'm very annoyed by the fact that I have to switch lenses all the time...

And for some events this is rather time consuming and it's causing me to lose too many shots...
I'm trying to do events (such as weddings & etc, but i'm not limited to that only)

A 2nd body is really called for but I don't think I can afford one yet.

So my question to you is:

1) Would I be ok with the 35L and 85L + the existing 5D II ?

The way I see it, I can shoot almost any situation with the 35L and the 85L would be a very nice portrait lens,for low light situations,for DOF control etc..

35mm is wide enough for most group shots (or is it?) and you can shoot even some portraits,without the distortion of the 24L ...

2) Keep the 24L and the 135L and try to sell the 50 1.4 and get the 50L..

If I had to choose between 50L and 85L , I'd go for the 50, as it's a much more versatile focal length and I can shoot pretty much anywhing with it (while the 85 is only good for portraits,due to the longer focal length).

Also, should I have the 50L, that would be my walk around lens.....

It's almost 4 months since I got the 135L and 24L...so I'm not very happy to sell them, because I'l be losing some money with the re-sell.....

Having the 35L stuck on the 5D II would make me to change lenses on the body only if I need to shoot portraits & etc (with the 85L), everything else will be shot with the 35L.

And with the 35L + 85L combo,If I will manage to get a 2nd body, then no more lens changing...they'll be glued onto the bodies...

But with existing gear, even If I get a 2nd body, I still have to think which lens on which body, etc etc...

I previously had a 5Dc + 24-70 2.8L

I'm the kind of guy that would rather shoot with 35L alone, than with a 24-70... (don't get me wrong, the 24-70 it's a wonderful lens)

I know these sort of threads are stupid because what works for others ...can't necessarily work for me,but I'm just curious with the FOV of 35mm ....if one can manage with that being his only wide angle lens...

I'm not very keen on selling the 24L,since it's a wonderful lens..and the 135L is magic as well,but sometimes it's a bit long for me..(indoors etc)

Jan 10, 2012 at 06:53 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens choice

Buy a used 5dc and you will be set. Really the 35, and a 50 or 85 on a second body would have you covered for 90% of what you need. To me it does not matter whether the 35/50/85 are L or not. I have had good luck with both the non L primes in that focal length. Think outside the box for group shots or landscapes with the 35. It can be done rather easily. I have had the 135 and the 24 and despite their high quality images the focal lenghts were dead for me, both running on the far extreem of what I usually shoot.
I am like you about changing lenses. When I shoot an event I put my 70-200IS on one body and either a mid zoom or fast prime on the other (depending on if I can flash) and make the 2 work. I hate changing lenses during and event. It seems I am kneeling over my bag with a lens in one hand and a body in the other when the perfect shot presents itself

Jan 10, 2012 at 07:19 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens choice

twistedlim: I pretty much agree with you.
I know the 5Dc is a great 2nd body (not just for back up,but for actual USE).
But I'm kinda tired of the AF on 5Dc/5D II. I'd love a 1Ds II or 1D III as a 2nd body.
Hell,even a 1D II/1D II N would be fine.... yet the 1D III would have better results at higher ISO..

Jan 10, 2012 at 07:25 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens choice

24s and 135 primes are sort of like ultra wide zooms and fisheye lenses. They have their place but for me they spent way too much time in the bag to justify owning them and/or carrying them around.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens choice

I own three bodies--5D II, 1DIV, and 7D so I don't have to change lenses so

often and can spread the wear and tear out between three cameras.

The 5D II and 1D IV complement each other. The 5D is much lighter, has more

megapixels, and is less conspicuous. The 1D is much better for moving subjects.

I believe a 1D series camera would complement your 5DII better than a 5Dc.

Also the 1D has dual memory slots useful for when you want to shoot in raw and jpeg

at the same time.

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens choice

garydavidjones: yes,that s what I think as well, as 2nd camera I definitely need a 1D series... not necessarily a 1D IV (too expensive for me) but perhaps a 1D III...

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.