Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question regarding 85L

Contrails

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question regarding 85L

Hi
I just picked up a used 85L II. I noticed that the focus ring is very loose and that it doesnt work when the switch is on AF. Is this normal or have I gotten a defective unit? Many thanks

Ryan

Jan 10, 2012 at 09:38 AM
Papathanassiou
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question regarding 85L

You need to read the manual Ryan, it is focus by wire!

Papa.

Jan 10, 2012 at 09:45 AM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question regarding 85L

Besides the manual, there are numerous online resources that mention this aspect of the EF 85/1.2L II. To recap:

This lens uses a mechanism commonly called "focus-by-wire." This means that the manual focusing ring is not mechanically linked to the focusing mechanisms in the lens. Instead, turning the ring simply sends an electronic signal to the ultrasonic motor in the lens, which then moves the focusing group.

There are a number of consequences to this design. Most importantly, because it depends on the USM operation for both manual and autofocus, the lens cannot be focused if no power is supplied to it. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you remember to turn the focus to infinity before unmounting it, each time you are finished with it and are preparing it for storage. Second, this lens consumes more battery power than most other EF lenses. Third, the focusing ring is not geared to the sub-barrel, so it spins freely. And finally, even when the lens is mounted to the body, if the AF/MF switch is set to AF mode, turning the focusing ring does nothing unless you have already engaged AF through the body (e.g., with a half-press of the shutter). That is to say, the focusing ring will not move the focus in AF mode unless the camera has acquired focus via AF and is ready to shoot.

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM
dimitris77
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question regarding 85L

Its normal since everything is done electronically.

Jan 10, 2012 at 02:53 PM
mfoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question regarding 85L

I had the same first reaction when I got mine

Jan 10, 2012 at 03:10 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question regarding 85L

wickerprints, why is it advantageous to turn the focus ring to infinity before un-mounting the lens? Are there any other Canon lenses that "benefit" from this practice?

Jan 10, 2012 at 03:37 PM
stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question regarding 85L

eskimochaos wrote:
wickerprints, why is it advantageous to turn the focus ring to infinity before un-mounting the lens? Are there any other Canon lenses that "benefit" from this practice?

The lens shortens itself by a good margin. That's typically advantageous for storage.

Most other lenses have internal focusing, so changing focus doesn't change their size. Some lenses expand when zooming, so there you usually want to store them in their shortest configuration, too.

Jan 10, 2012 at 03:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question regarding 85L

stanj wrote:
The lens shortens itself by a good margin. That's typically advantageous for storage.

Most other lenses have internal focusing, so changing focus doesn't change their size. Some lenses expand when zooming, so there you usually want to store them in their shortest configuration, too.

and as the lens only functions while powered up on the body you cant do it once its unmounted. any other lens (thats not FBW) you can

Jan 10, 2012 at 03:50 PM
Contrails

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question regarding 85L

Papathanassiou wrote:
You need to read the manual Ryan, it is focus by wire!

Papa.

Unfortunately the guy I bought from did not have the box or papers with him. He promised to pass them to me in 2 weeks time when he goes home.

So All I have right now is just the lens

By the way, is this lens known to be sharp wide open? I also noticed a few dust specks inside the lens from the rear end. Is this common?

Thanks
Ryan

Jan 10, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Papathanassiou
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question regarding 85L

Take a look here!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/85mm-f12.htm

Papa.

You could try You Tube too.

Jan 10, 2012 at 05:17 PM
helimat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question regarding 85L

Sharp wide open, yes, but that is of course relative. Here is one from the first version @ f/1.2:

_MG_2736 by helimat, on Flickr

Pretty sharp for f/1.2 IMO.

Jan 10, 2012 at 05:46 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question regarding 85L

Gotcha. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2012 at 07:38 PM
Contrails

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question regarding 85L