Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

onegreatcity
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

I won't over complicate this; am I nuts? I'm a perfectly happy 7D owner but recently stumbled into a mint (under 10k shutter actuations) 1D MK2n. I've read the reviews here on FM and they're extremely positive. I'm purely a hobby shooter with a balance of family events, kid sports, floral and garden critters out in the yard with some occasional landscapes thrown in when I can find time. Is the MK2n overkill? At $950 (asking price) is this a good deal? And yes, I would have to sell my 7D to fund the 'new' body. Somebody talk me out of this please...
-Cam

Jan 06, 2012 at 05:52 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

Cam, yes, get that 1DMkIIN and sell 7D if you have to.
7D gives a fair bit more detail on a perfectly focused and lit/exposed shot with a sharp lens....in practice though, one doesn't achieve that 7d potential often.
7D is perhaps one to two stops better re ISO noise.
7D has a better user interface.

However, despite all that, 1DMkIIN is a better camera.

Jan 06, 2012 at 06:07 AM
rdalton

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

I don't think you are nuts but I'm not sure you would be happy after the change. Although the MKIIn is a great camera you would be giving up quite a bit in functionality in the trade. Higher ISO, more pixels, video, liveview, microadjustment and a 3" screen to name a few.

The MKIIn is a great camera. I love the feel of it and the AF is great! But it is two, going on three, generations old now and lacking some very nice features available in newer bodies. If you didn't have to sell your 7D to finance the purchase my response would be quite different. It is quite easy to become addicted to 1 series bodies and if you could afford both I would say go for it.

Randy

Jan 06, 2012 at 06:19 AM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

Great action and bird camera

Jan 06, 2012 at 06:26 AM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

Jan 06, 2012 at 06:27 AM
forrest5000
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

I have a pair of MKIIn's and bought a 7D for my partner in crime.
Both are great cameras but the 1 series is a lot heavier to lug around, especially if you bring a few lens with you.
I shoot everything with the 1d's and love them. My primary usage is now adventure sports and the robustness of the 1D's is a really plus.
At that shutter count you can't go far wrong.
John

there are a few examples:
#1 1D with sigma 12-24mm

#2 7D - that's me abusing my 1D's

#3 1D

#4 1D

Jan 06, 2012 at 08:58 AM
WmPat
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

It's all in what you are used to.

If you are going from 7D to MkIIn you'll think it's very heavy, and you'll think that the files are small. But if you are going from a MkIIn to a 7D it will feel like a toy in your hands, and you'll wonder why it focuses so poorly.

That's a great price for a great and lightly used body. I'd jump on it if I were you.

Jan 06, 2012 at 09:19 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

1D II N is a great all around camera, not just the "sports and birds" camera that some people are attempting it to pigeonhole to.

The only downside is that max. ISO 3200 seems tame by today's standard; that and ISO 1600 aren't all that great compared to something like Nikon D3s or 5D Mark II (I've worked with full res shots from these but never used either myself). But unless much of your shooting requires a stellar high ISO quality (and the cameras that have it are in an entirely different price bracket), the N is a no-brainer.

EDIT: One more thing to consider when buying is the state of the batteries. I'm really not sure Canon makes new batteries of this type. My old ones don't hold up charge all too well anymore - I might need to replace the cells inside. However word is out that there are Li-Ion batteries of the same form factor made by a different manufacturer.

(And I will carbon copy this response in whichever thread debating the qualities of the N. Myself and PetKal are probably it's biggest proponents. For low light work I might be getting a couple primes instead of changing the body - it would be a pain to go back to the 30Desque form factor of the 5D Mark II).

Jan 06, 2012 at 10:27 AM
forrest5000
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

Batteries are still available from both Canon and generic manufacturers

Jan 06, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

WmPat wrote:
It's all in what you are used to.

If you are going from 7D to MkIIn you'll think it's very heavy, and you'll think that the files are small. But if you are going from a MkIIn to a 7D it will feel like a toy in your hands, and you'll wonder why it focuses so poorly.

That's a great price for a great and lightly used body. I'd jump on it if I were you.

mmmm... If your 7D focuses poorly you should probably send it in for a check up. Mine focuses almost as well as my 1Dmk4, which focuses beautifully

I've had a play around with a 1Dmk2n. I found the interface clunky, antiquated and basically horrible (in comparison to the bodies I own and especially the 7D). That said it was very nice to shoot with. I'd take a 7D over it all day though. If the 7D af is set up and used properly it does the job.

Jan 06, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

robinlee
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

Apart from heavy brick and heavy & pretty poor battery life, I have nothing against it however I sold it for 5Dc instead

Jan 06, 2012 at 10:43 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

I would say look for a cheaper one. They are built like a tank and pro bodies so many of them have been regularly serviced by Canon. I got mine with 137k on the body but only 28k per Canon on the 3rd shutter for $630. Lots of worn paint but LCD is clean and it just cranks out awesome action shots with a 70-200 2.8. That way you can keep the 7D also. I have both and the 7D is much more portable for daily use and as others have said alot more features, video being most important to me.

Its a fantastic camera but getting dated for a daily use body at least for my shooting.

Jan 06, 2012 at 01:21 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

Well first off, I'm shocked that Peter is the first person out of the gate to endorse this body! Second, you people are supposed to talk me out of this kind of behaviour! Seriously however, you're confirming all that I've read so far: beautiful to hold, wonderful files, built to last, less than perfect controls/interface, smaller screen, reduced ISO capability.

I hope to meet the seller on the weekend to inspect the MK2n so I'd like to know what to look for. Are there some quick performance tests I could conduct to ensure this beast is working as it should? I plan to bring two lenses with me, my magic drain pipe and either a Sigma 50 1.4 or Canon 16-35 I've borrowed from work.

I know battery life/weight/availability has been mentioned but can they be obtained without selling a kidney? Lastly, the shutter count being quoted is ridiculously low; is there any way for me to verify it in the (assumed) short amount of time I'll have access to the body?

Thanks again FM (I think...)

-Cam

Jan 06, 2012 at 01:25 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

Cam, we are looking after your best interests.

*A normally/caringly used camera with 10,000 clicks should have no brassing due to hand rubbing on the body, and there should be hardly any white sweat deposits on the rubber.

* Fire a few shots of a brightly and uniformly lit scene at, say, 1/100 sec and then at 1/1000 to 1/2000 sec. Look for dark or very bright bands on the image. Those bands could be anywhere in the frame, they could even be diagonally placed, and they signify a shutter problem.

* Verify that the camera AF works.

* Verify that it can do high and low frame rate ( 3 and 8 FPS)
--------------------------------------------------------------

I've been using only Canon brand batteries although they are expensive. They seem to be good for 500 + dischgarge/recharge cycles, with a minor capacity degradation. With a new battery and very little lens IS use, I can get close to 2000 frames per battery charge in summer.

Good luck.

Edited on Jan 06, 2012 at 02:04 PM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2012 at 01:59 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

onegreatcity wrote:
Lastly, the shutter count being quoted is ridiculously low; is there any way for me to verify it in the (assumed) short amount of time I'll have access to the body?
-Cam

Ask them to take a picture and give you the RAW file. Then use this to get the count:

http://www.foxbat.me.uk/2.0/index.php#/freesoftware

Jan 06, 2012 at 02:02 PM
edean
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

I bought a 1D2 in the UK recently and you can still easily get the generic NP-E3 batteries no problem.

Use "cancount" or "1Dcount" to determine determine shutter actuations; I used 1D count and you will need to take a laptop to do it though. Alternatively you might even be able to upload an image to get shutter count from a web service such as http://www.camerashuttercount.com/

I bought two Delkin eFilm Power series NPE3 NiMH 2200mAh for about 30 each, which have held one charge since July having used the camera for 2 weeks holiday + several weekends & day trips. They came with a 2 year warranty and overall I'm pretty happy with them.

Make sure you get a branded battery with the right chemistry (which should be NiMH); there are a lot of dodgy grey imports that are supposedly Lithium on Flea Bay / Amazon.

Other FM'ers have also reported that the Lenmar batteries are good but seem harder to get in the UK. You can get Energizer NPE3 Battery 1650mAh for 64. Hahnel are another reputedly good brand which have HN-E3 Battery for 74. Duracell also sell some although only with a 1 year warranty (not sure of the provenance of these though).

One slight issue with non OEM batteries is the fitting around the battery door cover on the end. For me one of them fitted perfectly the other resulted in an intermittent connection with the camera; due to the rubber seal and a having a single battery door locking mechanism. Third party batteries don't have the dual locking mechanism found in the Canon NP-E3 (due to canon's patent). There is a simple solution which is to transfer the battery covers from canon OEM batteries to the 3rd party battery (just two screws).

The massive irony is that if you open up any of the cases you will find that they only contain AA's which canon charge you 120 for the privilege to own.

If anyone has a spare original Canon NP-E3 battery cover from a dead battery that is collecting dust; I could use another for my other Delkin.

Jan 06, 2012 at 02:16 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

I'm in the process of selling my 50D to check out the 1dII or IIN. I'm probably going to pick up a t2i as a smaller camera for travel, and one that can do the higher ISO shots if needed. You can probably sell your 7D and pick up both for just a little extra...

Jan 06, 2012 at 02:38 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

Personally I couldn't ever go back to an old 8 meg sensor after using the new 18 meg ones, regardless of how good the body might be.

Jan 06, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

dhphoto wrote:
Personally I couldn't ever go back to an old 8 meg sensor after using the new 18 meg ones, regardless of how good the body might be.

Then 1D IV should be your thing. (cost notwithstanding)

Jan 06, 2012 at 03:12 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What of the Canon 1D MK2n?

Snopchenko wrote:
Then 1D IV should be your thing. (cost notwithstanding)

Surely the 1Dx

Jan 06, 2012 at 03:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password