Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · what to look for in used lens purchases

rogerwilco
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · what to look for in used lens purchases

Well with all the deals on used Canon lens I have been thinking of getting the 17-40 or 16-35 mm, Now i have bought only new lens up to now and wonder what I should be looking for in a used lens? Of course it should be clean and lens front and rear clean with no scratches or chips but beyond that what usually goes on these type of wide angle lens? What is lens creep ? etc etc
any intel is appreciated …
Roger

Jan 06, 2012 at 05:00 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · what to look for in used lens purchases

Smooth, well damped operation of the zoom and focus rings. Should mount on the body with minimal play (there can be a little rotation, but of course no perceptible pitch or yaw). AF should be direct, accurate, and very quiet.

Lens creep refers to zooming a bit when pointed up or down, and won't be a factor with the 16-35, as it zooms internally, i.e., the front element doesn't move and the lens body doesn't lengthen. I don't own the 17-40 and am not sure if that is a similar design; probably is.

Jan 06, 2012 at 05:25 AM
rogerwilco
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · what to look for in used lens purchases

thanks for the tips I have the 24-105L and it zooms in and out manually and the other lens i have the 70-200mk2 all moves are internal so I get what your saying the 17-40 may move in and out manually and the 16-35 is internal mechanics got it thanks…

Jan 06, 2012 at 05:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · what to look for in used lens purchases

I find that used works as good as new. If you buy a new item you get a 1yr or so warranty, but the item doesn't work any better then the used. I try to get a few years old and not go for too old. I bought my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II used and saved a lot.

Jan 06, 2012 at 06:36 AM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · what to look for in used lens purchases

a

Edited on Jan 07, 2012 at 08:04 AM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2012 at 06:36 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · what to look for in used lens purchases

Here's a used lens checklist that I use, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-usedlens-checklist

Jan 06, 2012 at 11:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password