FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              11       12       end

Archive 2012 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

M Lucca
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

The specs seem identical to NR a few weeks ago. Meh. Jan 6th is only a few hours away.
Irregardless, the stratospheric prices are above my mortal reach. So I rather wait for the 5d3 or d800 instead.

Jan 05, 2012 at 07:08 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'm guessing Nikon found 16MP could give them even better noise than D3s while giving a 25% pixel increase.

Whatever the case, I'm glad to see that Nikon is finally moving on from the 12MP "we've got to build a better 5D" paradigm. Canon's success with that camera must have left them with deep emotional scars...

Jan 05, 2012 at 07:45 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Once day Nikon may stretch to 18mp!

Jan 05, 2012 at 08:51 PM
daskibum
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Many Nikonians seem to think the D4 is only a minor update except for video and are complaining it's only 16MP. I remember when they said 12MP was plenty and hoped it didn't change.

I had expected it to jump more than 4MP, actually I thought it would be 18MP or so.

And I remember Canonites screaming how you need more MP until the newest Canon... then when it wasn't what was expected it turned into "its not the quantity, its the quality". Door swings both ways.

Jan 05, 2012 at 09:00 PM
daskibum
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Ralph Conway wrote:
D4: 6000, AF @ F/8 and ships february

At the moment all I can see are rumors. If D4 might be announced tomorrow, reality looks easy for me. Canon announced a new Flaggship 8 Weeks ago. Nikon hurried to copy all those specs as good as they could 16MP instead of 18, no AF improvement, D3s ISO (there is a french magazins introduction rumored few hours ago) 1FPS less and priced it at about 800 less (first time I remember) of its competitors announcement and offers 1 month earlier delivery.

One just have to watch that body design to see,
...Show more

If ya knew much about Nikon you'd know they shut down the Sendai plants after the earthquakes/tsunami, then their plants in Malaysia got knocked offline with flooding there. When a company loses most of their manufacturing capabilities in a year things like new product announcements get delayed. They weren't waiting on Canon, then scramble to match, they were focusing on getting back up and running. And given Canons AF record I wouldn't bet on market leader there...

Jan 05, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

daskibum wrote:
If ya knew much about Nikon you'd know they shut down the Sendai plants after the earthquakes/tsunami, then their plants in Malaysia got knocked offline with flooding there. When a company loses most of their manufacturing capabilities in a year things like new product announcements get delayed. They weren't waiting on Canon, then scramble to match, they were focusing on getting back up and running. And given Canons AF record I wouldn't bet on market leader there...

Ralph tends to talk out of his ass in every post he is a part of. He like to bash Nikon for what ever reason. The best thing to do is ignore the ignorant.

Jan 05, 2012 at 09:15 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

hoping in 2012 we wont hear..forum guru's claim Canon is crippling a particular body....Its called "Feature set" you have to have products in ALL price ranges but you CAN'T have them with EVERYTHING as a top tier body....is this kinda clear?...carry on,dont really care about Nikon so we can move along,shall we,nothing to see here...

sorry but the term "Crippling" rubs my rubbarb the wrong way...

Jan 05, 2012 at 09:37 PM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

They should allow customisation of cameras so everyone's happy. If it can be done for PC's, not sure why it can't be done for cameras. Surely a camera is not a more complicated device than a PC

Jan 05, 2012 at 10:05 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

daskibum wrote:

Although I wouldn't put my money on it either, I think there is a good chance this time that the AF system of 1DX will be the best one for Canon yet, in line with what they have been promising.

Because if its not, then their credibility as a leading manufacturer of pro grade cameras will be flushed down the toilet for good.

Jan 05, 2012 at 11:00 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

well, there it is on the front of DPReview: http://www.dpreview.com/

quite a bit of reading on it now available

Jan 05, 2012 at 11:19 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Dawei Ye wrote:
They should allow customisation of cameras so everyone's happy. If it can be done for PC's, not sure why it can't be done for cameras. Surely a camera is not a more complicated device than a PC

so you just want one camera body...at that 6000.00 mark as long as you can tweak it up or down...then how doe anyone else that want to take pics that cant afford 6000.00 .your premise is flawed.

Jan 05, 2012 at 11:38 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

D4 is apparently supposed to AF quite nicely even with f/8 nominal aperture lens combos.
I think the Canon "f/8 birders" will have a bird now.

Jan 05, 2012 at 11:47 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

digitalbug30d wrote:
hoping in 2012 we wont hear..forum guru's claim Canon is crippling a particular body....Its called "Feature set" you have to have products in ALL price ranges but you CAN'T have them with EVERYTHING as a top tier body....is this kinda clear?...carry on, dont really care about Nikon so we can move along,shall we,nothing to see here...

sorry but the term "Crippling" rubs my rubbarb the wrong way...

Precisely why you don't get it...

If you care to enlighten yourself you can start by reading this really old review and maybe something will click for you besides your shutter:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/d700.shtml

Jan 05, 2012 at 11:59 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

the Canon's way better looking...the Nikon is clunky,to many buttons,oh I forgot the buttons make it MORE Professional.

Jan 06, 2012 at 12:15 AM
longisland.km
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Gary Irwin wrote:
+1. Since Nikon appears to be officially supporting f8, you can be sure Canon will offer that option. Guaranteed.

Am I reading the dpreview press release correctly - the D4 has a single cross-type sensor at f/8? So even if Canon enables f/8 AF on the 1Dx, it won't be a cross-type right?

edit:

hmm, just took a look at the press release on Nikon's site...it says:

"What's more, 11 focus points (five at center with an additional three to each side) are fully functional when lenses with a maximum aperture of f/8 are used."

...interesting...

also claim of a 100 shot RAW buffer with a XQD memory card is interesting too.

Jan 06, 2012 at 12:28 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

100 shot RAW buffer would be impressive. I'm just hoping Canon can offer half that with the 1DX.

I find it odd that the D4 offers a 1.2x crop option. Can't think of a reason that would be useful other than cropping out soft, vignetted edges....??

Jan 06, 2012 at 01:17 AM
ourabmen
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

digitalbug, what bee is in your bonnet? Competition in the market is good, Your comments are like akin to an argument centered on wether Heidi Klum or lLnda Evangelista is better looking,

Edited on Jan 06, 2012 at 01:31 AM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2012 at 01:23 AM
jf.photos
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

rscheffler wrote:
100 shot RAW buffer would be impressive. I'm just hoping Canon can offer half that with the 1DX.

I find it odd that the D4 offers a 1.2x crop option. Can't think of a reason that would be useful other than cropping out soft, vignetted edges....??

Might be useful for the upcoming olympics?

Here is a quick overview from a proud Nikon fan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jT0Pb5SNXmU#!

Jan 06, 2012 at 01:30 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

ourabmen wrote:
digitalbug, what bee is in your bonnet? Competition in the market is good, Your comments are like akin to an argument centered on wether Heidi Klum or lLnda Evangelista is better looking,

Perhaps digitalbud has turned a corner and he's trying to understand now because he deleted his response to my post above that read "my ford focus is crippled because it lacks the 440hp of the mustang"...yeah it was a horrible analogy and it made no sense...but at least he deleted it before anyone quoted it which shows signs of effort......

Jan 06, 2012 at 01:53 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

PetKal wrote:
Up till the release of the D3 in 2007, Nikon was still relying on their miserable 11 pt AF sensor in their D2X/D2H professional line.

Jan 06, 2012 at 03:27 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.