FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              11       12       end

Archive 2012 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

learyt wrote:
Looks like they removed the release from the Wells Fargo site.

Other than that it appears the D4's $6000 price has made Canon erase their MSRP from their site.

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:18 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

The loss of f/8 AF with the 1DX was disappointing. Of course they are not going to redo the AF system because of the D4, but maybe we will see a street price closer to the D4's $6k.

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

ausemmao wrote:
There's this wonderful thing called currency appreciation. The dollar has gone from bouncing around 100 yen to around 75-80 yen. That alone implies upwards of a 30% increase in prices assuming no change to the companies' cost base. Same thing happened to the pound. Of course I'd rather it not be there, but it is what it is.

What's your justification for claiming overpricing?

Well given that every single camera from either manufacturer has been dropping in price rather than having a 30% increase, I think that the claim might be justified..

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:07 PM
ausemmao
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Beni wrote:
Well given that every single camera from either manufacturer has been dropping in price rather than having a 30% increase, I think that the claim might be justified..

Are you sure about that?

Current camera MSRP compared to 2009/2010 equivalents where available:

60D - went down 15%, and that's being generous given that it's not a straight 50D replacement.
D7000 - possibly 'repositioned' upmarket being generous as the D90 is still available (would say that's overproduction more than anything else - up 30%
600D - up 13%
D3100 - up 25%
D5100 - up 30%

I love it when people fact check before commenting.

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:30 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

I'm not talking about equivelents to older models, it's a false argument according to your theory. I'm comparing current cameras before the price hike till after. Oh and nothing has had a 30% price hike apart from the new ones. If there was a true and justified 30% price hike due to currency fluctuations then the 5DII and D700 would have gone up 30%. So would the 1D4 and D3s. But they haven't. Therefore each generation of camera is having a price hike seperate to a need caused by currency differences.

I was willing to possibly accept that the 1DX's price was due to the amalgmation of the lines but with the D4 released at a similar price it would seem that it's a price adjustment seperate to product line placement. Both Canon and Nikon know that there is no longer substantial need to upgrade for a majority of pro's and they've priced the bodies in accordance to the smaller runs these cameras will be having, just as the 1Ds line was always so much more expensive than the 1 series.

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:56 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

bpark42 wrote:
The loss of f/8 AF with the 1DX was disappointing. Of course they are not going to redo the AF system because of the D4, but maybe we will see a street price closer to the D4's $6k.

I'm sure that's something they could readily change in firmware... it's not like the camera WON'T focus at f8, they just don't want you to. Tape a few pins and try it out, you'll see.

Jan 05, 2012 at 02:24 PM
ausemmao
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Beni wrote:
I'm not talking about equivelents to older models, it's a false argument according to your theory. I'm comparing current cameras before the price hike till after. Oh and nothing has had a 30% price hike apart from the new ones. If there was a true and justified 30% price hike due to currency fluctuations then the 5DII and D700 would have gone up 30%. So would the 1D4 and D3s. But they haven't. Therefore each generation of camera is having a price hike seperate to a need caused by currency differences.

I was willing to possibly accept that the 1DX's price
...Show more

Companies don't tend to change MSRP with currency fluctuation because it makes cashflow way too unpredictable. They will tend to set an expected exchange rate for a year to the lifetime of a product and then hedge themselves against excessive swings. Predictability is really big for corporates. MSRP changes occur with the change in that target rate, which tends to happen once a year. Previous products will not change MSRP, whether exchange rates rise OR fall.

So the new ones changing is exactly what one would expect. In fact, that the only bodies not to experience a significant price hike are those yet to be and soon to be replaced shows it.

Jan 05, 2012 at 02:35 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

artsupreme wrote:
For me it's easier to get excited about a company who will deliver a compact/pro FF body that's not intentionally crippled. One can be sure they aren't going to hold back on the D800.....however I'm hoping it's not a ridiculous 36MP as rumored.

Canon, just release the damn 3D already...compact lightweight body, 2 slots, 1DX sensor, 8fps, 1DII AF and you will have many happy campers.

What are you drinking?

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:23 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

RobertLynn wrote:
What are you drinking?

Nothing, but you must be drinking...what about my post makes you think I'd be drinking?

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:30 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

TrojanHorse wrote:
I'm sure that's something they could readily change in firmware... it's not like the camera WON'T focus at f8, they just don't want you to. Tape a few pins and try it out, you'll see.

That's my plan (taping the pins), but I would rather have official support since it implies a certain level of performance. It's a relatively minor thing overall, but still disappointing.

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

D4: 6000, AF @ F/8 and ships february

At the moment all I can see are rumors. If D4 might be announced tomorrow, reality looks easy for me. Canon announced a new Flaggship 8 Weeks ago. Nikon hurried to copy all those specs as good as they could 16MP instead of 18, no AF improvement, D3s ISO (there is a french magazins introduction rumored few hours ago) 1FPS less and priced it at about 800 less (first time I remember) of its competitors announcement and offers 1 month earlier delivery.

One just have to watch that body design to see, it was scratchbuild in hurry.
If specs came out as truth, Nikon had to offer a lower price because of standard AF (as good it might be, I would bet Canon does not create the 1D III disaster a second time - the new AF will be market leader) and even at an lower resolution two stops less ISO (if that french mags data does not turn out as wrong).

For me there is still just one question: IQ at useable high ISO for my needs as an event shooter. None of us has still seen an image done with 1D X at 50K bigger than a stamp. No one of us has seen any image done with D4. Calm down and WAIT.

We all have great gear to shoot with.
Letīs see how good their new bodys really are, before we diskuss prices or changing a brand.

Here is the link at FM to the french magazine:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1074131

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:06 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Ralph Conway wrote:
D4: 6000, AF @ F/8 and ships february

At the moment all I can see are rumors. If D4 might be announced tomorrow, reality looks easy for me. Canon announced a new Flaggship 8 Weeks ago. Nikon hurried to copy all those specs as good as they could 16MP instead of 18, no AF improvement, D3s ISO (there is a french magazins introduction rumored few hours ago) 1FPS less and priced it at about 800 less (first time I remember) of its competitors announcement and offers 1 month earlier delivery.

One just have to watch that body design to see,
...Show more

That's right. Nikon only started designing D4 after 1D X was announced and it's already ready for shipping. Pure genius those Nikon engineers.

Edited on Jan 05, 2012 at 05:43 PM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:36 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

artsupreme wrote:
Nothing, but you must be drinking...what about my post makes you think I'd be drinking?

Looks like we're both drinking the same ish.

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:39 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

TrojanHorse wrote:

+1. Since Nikon appears to be officially supporting f8, you can be sure Canon will offer that option. Guaranteed.

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:42 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Pixel Perfect wrote:
They are not ready jet. Rumors promised shipping for february, right? So they still have a few weeks. All together that makes 4 month after 1DX announcement. That is enough to put together the old stuff they had in their cuboards since tree years.

Edited on Jan 05, 2012 at 05:47 PM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Many Nikonians seem to think the D4 is only a minor update except for video and are complaining it's only 16MP. I remember when they said 12MP was plenty and hoped it didn't change.

I had expected it to jump more than 4MP, actually I thought it would be 18MP or so.

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:46 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Many Nikonians seem to think the D4 is only a minor update except for video and are complaining it's only 16MP. I remember when they said 12MP was plenty and hoped it didn't change.

I had expected it to jump more than 4MP, actually I thought it would be 18MP or so.

Maybe Canons agents found out that Nikon is not able to deliver more right now at 10FPS and ISO about 3.2000 and that was why Canon decided to give the 1D X 2MP more.

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:50 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Ralph Conway wrote:
Maybe Canons agents found out that Nikon is not able to deliver more right now at 10FPS and ISO about 3.2000 and that was why Canon decided to give the 1D X 2MP more.

I'm guessing Nikon found 16MP could give them even better noise than D3s while giving a 25% pixel increase. If so it's going to be a very interesting battle between D4 and 1D X. Nikon has the runs on the board with the D3s, and Canon 1D X will do very well if it can improve on D3s in any significant way, which it might need to, to best the D4.

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:56 PM
ausemmao
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'm guessing Nikon found 16MP could give them even better noise than D3s while giving a 25% pixel increase. If so it's going to be a very interesting battle between D4 and 1D X. Nikon has the runs on the board with the D3s, and Canon 1D X will do very well if it can improve on D3s in any significant way, which it might need to, to best the D4.

Yep - the presence of a Hi4 setting and the existence of native 100 implies the rage of the sensor has been significantly improved between 100 and 25600 - I don't think anyone realistically cares about performance at 204800 except as an indicator of the lower ISOs, and if they have come anywhere near a D3->D3s step, that bodes good things.

Best case: Nikon stuck to 16MP because they couldn't miniaturise whatever voodoo they did to the D3s sensor any further, and then added the D7000 enhancements. Here's hoping

Jan 05, 2012 at 06:09 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

learyt wrote:
Looks like they removed the release from the Wells Fargo site.

This was it:

Nikon Unveils New D4 Flagship D-SLR
Greg Tarr

Released : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:01 AM

The Nikon D4, which is slated for February availability at a $6,000 suggested retail, will offer a full-frame 16.2-megapixel full-format CMOS image sensor that will shoot full-resolution images at up to a 10 fps rate.

The camera is also one of the first to support the new XQD Compact Flash memory card format, and will also offer a second card for more conventional CF cards.

The Nikon D4 has improved low-light performance, with an ISO range from 100 to 102,400 which can be expanded to 50 to 204,800 for
...Show more

Jan 05, 2012 at 06:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.