Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              11       12       end

Archive 2012 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Yes I posted it here to show what the other side is offering this year.

https://wellsfargoadvisors.mworld.com/m/m.w?lp=GetStory&id=587442381

I hope the lower price tag and AF at f/8 will give Canon incentive to improve upon the 1DX. Getting it to us before April would be nice too.

Edited on Jan 05, 2012 at 08:27 AM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2012 at 08:17 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

You gotta love the competition.

Jan 05, 2012 at 08:20 AM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Daan B wrote:
You gotta love the competition.

+1!

Jan 05, 2012 at 08:33 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Not sure how you could tell this and the 1dx apart if you didnt see the badge!

Least it keeps them honest(ish)

Jan 05, 2012 at 08:36 AM
Sanlameer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

The new card slot is interesting. Thanks for the post

You have to be brave to post Nikon related stuff on the Canon forum-the self appointed moderators might punish you!!

Jan 05, 2012 at 08:58 AM
slee915
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Check out Dolina's list of big white primes. Got to respect a man like that

In fact it was his posts that get me interested in the 200f/2.

Jan 05, 2012 at 09:13 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Good that the carrot has been shown to us Canon users beforehand, else there would've been an uproar and probably a mass exodus.
I wonder however, how many people really carry out their threat of switching that many of them make every time a competitor releases something noteworth... I mean they would have to switch from C to N and back every couple of years lol.

Jan 05, 2012 at 09:51 AM
Rav13
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

I was actually thinking of switching from Canon to Nikon if the 1 series hadn't been what I hoped for. The 1Dx specs make this a perfect camera for me and now seeing the Nikon D4 I just hope Canon and Nikon spec sheet matches the performance they say.

Both cameras are close in my opinion, I would be happy on either side. There's a show next week in the UK which has Canon there, can't wait to see the 1Dx.

Jan 05, 2012 at 10:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

dolina wrote:
Yes I posted it here to show what the other side is offering this year.

Jan 05, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Maybe if the geniuses at Wells Fargo spent their time doing a better job at banking rather than posting pre-dated press releases that may or may not be accurate we could solve the world's economic problems.

Didn't this strike anyone as really strange? Can anybody really envision Nikon handing out press releases a week ahead and telling people to "pretty please" don't publish it until the time listed at the top of the page? If they did, would you buy a camera from a manufacturer that would do something so fundamentally stupid?

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RazorTM
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Hrow wrote:
Would you buy a camera from a manufacturer that would do something so fundamentally stupid?

Yeah, because that sure indicates that Nikon is incompetent at making cameras

Jan 05, 2012 at 02:17 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Hrow wrote:
Didn't this strike anyone as really strange? Can anybody really envision Nikon handing out press releases a week ahead and telling people to "pretty please" don't publish it until the time listed at the top of the page?

As a matter of principle, anything that one finds on the internet should be viewed with a grain of salt. The medium is easily corruptible and there is no accountability for bad information published.

A new $6,000 Nikon camera would fortify the Canon's 1DX pricing at $6,000 +. That is the same ballpark (over)pricing. That's how cartels operate. There are no camera options which would offer significantly different features, nor a significantly different price.

Sony perhaps has the potential of busting the NikCan cartel some day. But they need a few more high grade lenses before they can do that.

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:14 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Hrow wrote:
Didn't this strike anyone as really strange? Can anybody really envision Nikon handing out press releases a week ahead and telling people to "pretty please" don't publish it until the time listed at the top of the page? If they did, would you buy a camera from a manufacturer that would do something so fundamentally stupid?

It's called an 'embargo' and ALL press companies are required to comply.

If the D4 truly is being announced tomorrow there will be lots of people with a press release in hand before the event but they are restricted from releasing it until a specific time/date.

This is NORMAL practice and will be done by Canon too. So, do you really want to buy from a camera company called Canon when they do this sort of thing too?

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:25 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Can't wait to see the D800 this year.

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:47 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Dave_EP wrote:
It's called an 'embargo' and ALL press companies are required to comply.

If the D4 truly is being announced tomorrow there will be lots of people with a press release in hand before the event but they are restricted from releasing it until a specific time/date.

This is NORMAL practice and will be done by Canon too. So, do you really want to buy from a camera company called Canon when they do this sort of thing too?

The date on the release is the 10th, not the 6th. A week on a press embargo is like placing a plate of brownies in front of a pre-school class of three year-olds and being foolish enough to think that none of the kids will touch them.

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

artsupreme wrote:
Can't wait to see the D800 this year.

No longer interested in Canon's releases? Don't worry, I don't blame you

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:58 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Dawei Ye wrote:
No longer interested in Canon's releases? Don't worry, I don't blame you

For me it's easier to get excited about a company who will deliver a compact/pro FF body that's not intentionally crippled. One can be sure they aren't going to hold back on the D800.....however I'm hoping it's not a ridiculous 36MP as rumored.

Canon, just release the damn 3D already...compact lightweight body, 2 slots, 1DX sensor, 8fps, 1DII AF and you will have many happy campers.

Jan 05, 2012 at 04:29 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Hrow wrote:
The date on the release is the 10th, not the 6th. A week on a press embargo is like placing a plate of brownies in front of a pre-school class of three year-olds and being foolish enough to think that none of the kids will touch them.

That's not uncommon - and frankly wouldn't be a problem if people abide by the embargo. People breaking the embargo soon get dropped off the press release lists so it's not in their interest to spill the beans.

Given that magazines all have deadlines to meet (and yes apparently some people do still read them) there's often a need for information quite a long time ahead. See the thread on the nikon forum for a French magazine page/article already written with lots of pictures.

It's not just the camera industry - it's every industry.

Jan 05, 2012 at 04:30 PM
learyt

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

Looks like they removed the release from the Wells Fargo site.

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:04 PM
ausemmao
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D4: $6,000, AF @ f/8 and ships February

PetKal wrote:
As a matter of principle, anything that one finds on the internet should be viewed with a grain of salt. The medium is easily corruptible and there is no accountability for bad information published.

A new $6,000 Nikon camera would fortify the Canon's 1DX pricing at $6,000 +. That is the same ballpark (over)pricing. That's how cartels operate. There are no camera options which would offer significantly different features, nor a significantly different price.

Sony perhaps has the potential of busting the NikCan cartel some day. But they need a few more high grade lenses before they can do that.

There's this wonderful thing called currency appreciation. The dollar has gone from bouncing around 100 yen to around 75-80 yen. That alone implies upwards of a 30% increase in prices assuming no change to the companies' cost base. Same thing happened to the pound. Of course I'd rather it not be there, but it is what it is.

What's your justification for claiming overpricing?

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password