Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Canon 16-35 II vs Distagon 21mm

Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 16-35 II vs Distagon 21mm

Grunrro worte:
I own both. The Zeiss is very nice, but I wouldn't sell my 16-35L II. In fact, I would get rid of the Zeiss before I considered selling the 16-35. The 16-35 is one of my most used lenses. I seldom use the 21/2.8.

Yes.

Jan 06, 2012 at 03:25 AM
theMAGE
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 16-35 II vs Distagon 21mm

user222 wrote:
I'm going to keep the 16-35, and try to add the Zeiss at some point...and this whole process got me looking at the 24mm TS-E II, another great lens!

That's what I did (last month). I'm using the TS-E as my walk-around now, but I really miss the autofocus (my eyesight isn't what it used to be). I suspect when using live view and on a tripod and given enough time - a MF focus will blow the zoom out of the water.

I'm having second thoughts - maybe I should have gotten the 17 TS-E instead of the 24? Even though I find 16 too wide most of the time, I find 24 not wide enough. Good problems to have, I guess.

Jan 06, 2012 at 05:34 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 16-35 II vs Distagon 21mm

Mike Tuomey wrote:
I'd rather have the TS-E 24 II alongside the zoom than the ZE 21. More flexibility, especially for producing big prints (stitched panos via simple shifts, for example) and for some of the architecture and cityscapes I shoot. But if you're anticipating a lot of handheld use, then the nod goes to the zeiss.

I have the 16-35 II zoom. And both the new 17 & 24 TS-E + the 24L lenses. But my Zeiss 21 is the one that I use most. Probably as much as all the others together

Jan 06, 2012 at 11:02 AM
rji2goleez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 16-35 II vs Distagon 21mm

I used to own both. I swore I would keep the 16-35 II because of the flexibility it offers. But I realized two things. First, the images i got with the 16-35 could never match those of the Zeiss in terms of image quality (subjective buy my opinion) and second, I mostly used the 16-35 at the wider end of its zoom. I've since sold the zoom and haven't regretted it.

Jan 06, 2012 at 01:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 16-35 II vs Distagon 21mm

The Zeiss 21 theme seems to be that, once purchased, the lens just inspires use. I have this nagging feeling I'm really missing out not trying the ZE's. Especially since I have a small ZM lens kit I use with a couple of Leica M bodies, and like the imaging I get from the ZM's very much.

Jan 06, 2012 at 01:54 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 16-35 II vs Distagon 21mm

Mike -- How do you think we all ended up with Zeiss lenses?

Everyone has priorities. For some, sample variation plays a part in their views -- maybe they had an especially good or bad copy. Some have a more fluid working approach, others are more planned and orchestrated. Still others keep their minds wrapped around specific focal lengths, and that influences how they see and portray the world. IQ plays a major role in lens choices, and the Zeiss 21/2.8 is one of the better available, right up there at the top of the pile.

Choices, choices! As you can see, on this simple choice there are well reasoned opinions on both sides, and great photographers to back those opinions with images!

Jan 06, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 16-35 II vs Distagon 21mm

Gunzorro wrote:
Mike -- How do you think we all ended up with Zeiss lenses?

.... IQ plays a major role in lens choices, and the Zeiss 21/2.8 is one of the better available, right up there at the top of the pile.

Choices, choices! As you can see, on this simple choice there are well reasoned opinions on both sides, and great photographers to back those opinions with images!

Jim, comprehension is beginning to sweep over me ... there's something in comments like yours and Lars' where, among an impressive inventory of lenses owned and available within a given focal length/range, Zeiss get the most use. There are good reasons because, as you say, these are discerning and talented photographers.

Jan 06, 2012 at 04:26 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password