Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Buy a 1D IV now???

speediq99
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buy a 1D IV now???

Hello,

I need a hand thinking through this one.
I have an opportunity to buy an almost new (7K shots) under warranty 1D IV ($3.6K). I shoot sports, wildlife, birding primarily and the rest if the opportunity presents itself. I have nearly every conceivable lens from macro to 600mm and I presently own a 7D and 1D III. Sold a 5D II to make room for a 5D III and keep either the 7d or 1D III. The dilemma is whether to sell the 7D and 1D III, get a 1D IV and then add something else (40D) that may never get used as a backup.

Given the Nikon D4 announcement, Canon 1DX and potentially other Canon announcements in the coming weeks, would it make sense to get a 1D IV if you got a good deal on it?

Things that I am debating:

- Canon needs to compete w/ D4 in terms of features and pricing so 1D X may come down or something comparable may show up.
- 5D III - Potentially killer ISO and auto focus video shooting. Keep 7D and add this baby.
- 1D X - Not interested right now too much money.
- 1D IV - No 1.3 coming from Canon, no AF for video, IQ and ISO perf. below 5D III potentially so much that I may not go to it.
- 1D IV w/ 1.3x may still be as good as a cropped 1D X when it comes to telephoto shooting. I don't know.

A lot of speculation on my part but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

Jan 04, 2012 at 08:10 PM
artsupreme
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buy a 1D IV now???

I'd probably buy one for that price but not a penny more. You will surely be able to sell it for what you bought it for if you decide you don't want it.

Jan 04, 2012 at 08:20 PM
adamo99
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buy a 1D IV now???

All I can tell you is that after having owned nearly every pro/prosumer Canon digital body manufactured (1DII, 1DIIn, 1DIII, 1Div, 1Ds, 1DsII, 7D, 5D, 5DII), I enjoyed using the 1Div the most.

Fantastic AF, great high ISO performance, enough resolution for very large prints, and I found the JPEG engine to be a huge improvement over previous bodies (the 5DII is also very good).

I never really liked the skintones out of the 1DIII- unless you were bang on with the exposure, the skin tones looked terrible. The 1DIII was not forgiving at all.

If I had to buy a Canon body today, I'd either get the 1Div, or splash out for the 1Dx- even selling an ultra-wide lens that the full-frame body would sort of lessen the need for.

Jan 04, 2012 at 08:23 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buy a 1D IV now???

At that price, you'd be crazy not to do it. I just upgraded my 1DIII to 1DIV and I haven't looked back. I LOVE IT! I like it so much, I've also used it in place of my 5D2 frequently as well. Just wish I could find a 16-35 FF equivalent for the 1DIV, then the 5D2 could be obsolete for my purposes.

Jo

Jan 04, 2012 at 08:34 PM
Dgw2

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buy a 1D IV now???

I had a 5d2 and a 7d. Liked the combination but at times the 7d just did not turn me on. Like full frame so pretty happy with the 5d2. A couple of months ago I came into some money just pulled the trigger on a 1d4. I love the thing. Focus, ISO, frame speed. You will not regret it. I too am a guy who wants the latest and greatest so waiting is always on my mind. No regrets with making the move.

Jan 04, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buy a 1D IV now???

Jo Dilbeck wrote:
At that price, you'd be crazy not to do it.

+1

Jan 04, 2012 at 08:47 PM
Yaryman
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buy a 1D IV now???

I'd buy it at that price.

Jan 04, 2012 at 08:52 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buy a 1D IV now???

it is a known quantity that produces sensational results by todays standards

everything I have seen or heard about this camera says buy it

Tim

Jan 04, 2012 at 08:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sir_Loin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buy a 1D IV now???

No question I'd recommend you buy it, it's a fabulous camera. The images ooze quality, excellent AF, 10fps and of course you get 1 series build quality. I did wonder if the 1.3 crop factor would be an issue being always used to full frame, but I haven't really noticed to be honest.

As a side note, a recent article about the 1DX in a UK publication (Advanced Photographer), a Canon spokesman said that the 1D4 ISN'T being discontinued for the foreseeable future.

Jan 04, 2012 at 09:07 PM
mark petri
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buy a 1D IV now???

I don't care what comes out or by whom, the 1d4 is the best DSLR to date and will take anything you throw at it for many years to come.

If you don't want it, let me know and consider it SOLD!

Jan 04, 2012 at 09:39 PM
speediq99
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buy a 1D IV now???

Thanks everyone, this is great feedback on this idea.
I am pulling the trigger on it this PM.

Mike

Jan 04, 2012 at 09:44 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Buy a 1D IV now???

If I could buy one for 3.6K I'd probably buy it right now.

Jan 04, 2012 at 10:50 PM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Buy a 1D IV now???

Jo Dilbeck wrote:
At that price, you'd be crazy not to do it. I just upgraded my 1DIII to 1DIV and I haven't looked back. I LOVE IT! I like it so much, I've also used it in place of my 5D2 frequently as well. Just wish I could find a 16-35 FF equivalent for the 1DIV, then the 5D2 could be obsolete for my purposes.

Jo

Try the Tokina 11-16 on the 1D4, you won't be disappointed.

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Buy a 1D IV now???

If you need AF at f/8, such as with an f/4 super tele + 2x TC, then the 1Dx will let you down while the 1D4 still works.

The 1Dx has a lot of advantages but the 1D4 is far from useless. Mind you, I really do wish that it had exposure compensation with auto ISO in M mode, and a decent implementation of Spot Mode AF.

- Alan

Jan 08, 2012 at 11:32 AM
willis
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Buy a 1D IV now???

The 1DIV is and will remain a great camera, especially so in light of your intended uses-likely better than the 1Dx for birding. IQ is pretty much on a par with the 5DII, better at high sensitivities. I'd wholheartedly recommend it.
I too find Canons product design difficult to understand. They've now designed two new pro AF systems supposedly 'from the ground up', the first with spot AF enabled only on supertele lenses and the second lacking any f8 AF capability whatsoever. Quite bizarre. Perhaps they know that the technology is so mature now that they have to hold something back for future upgrades. That's a strange strategy with top of the line pro cameras IMO.

Jan 08, 2012 at 12:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password