Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · DSLR video for events, need DC-in.

Alex53
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DSLR video for events, need DC-in.

I need to record and stream live events from a fixed camera that can offer a wide angle. The camera will be mounted on a bracket on the ceiling.

I can do it with a webcam or a camcorder, but it is hard to find one that offers wide angle lenses and also has a good image quality. I know DSLRs have that, at a lower cost than a professional video camera, however, the events are potentially very long, so I need the camera to have a constant power supply.

Do any canon DSLRs have a DC-in connection for constant power?

Also does the video out connection on them allow for constant streaming of video to a PC?

Jan 04, 2012 at 09:45 AM
dunderwood
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DSLR video for events, need DC-in.

There are AC adapters that fit in as alternate battery packs.

Jan 04, 2012 at 01:50 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DSLR video for events, need DC-in.

Watch out for overheating.

Jan 04, 2012 at 03:16 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DSLR video for events, need DC-in.

Also watch out for (12 minute) recording limit (e.g., on 5D II). MagicLantern firmware might help, but then there's still the potential for overheating if put into continuous recording mode. One of the "benefits" of the 12 minute limit is that it "sort of" forces a "cool down" period. --KS

Jan 04, 2012 at 03:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alex53
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DSLR video for events, need DC-in.

Thanks for your replies.

I think that rules out using a DSLR. Some sessions will last a potential 9 hours.

That leaves me with using a webcam, a comsumer camcorder or a professional video camera.

I am not sure about the quality of a webcam, because even though the main use is live streaming, the video will also be archived and given out on DVDs. Webcam quality seems a bit rubbish for that.

A consumer camcorder will have ok quality if the lighting is good, but will they be reliable for such long hours?

A pro video camera fits the technical requirements, but they cost a bomb, and they might be a bit complicated logistically, as in a bit of a large object to have hanging on a bracket off the ceiling.

I've also seen CCTV style cameras that look the part and are probably going to be the sturdiest and most reliable of the lot, plus they would look right fitted on the ceiling, but as far as I know those have slow frame rates and not great image quality.

Jan 05, 2012 at 04:12 PM
rhyx
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DSLR video for events, need DC-in.

Based on what you have described you either need to go with a very high quality webcam or a pro video camera.

Jan 05, 2012 at 09:03 PM
jkermani
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DSLR video for events, need DC-in.

You can get a wide angle adaptor for your camcorder that might not be too bad.

Jeanette

Jan 07, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DSLR video for events, need DC-in.

yes, there is a way around but will cost you a bit.

Get these parts:

1. V-mount or AB gold mount battery (get the one at 130Wh or 190Wh)
2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BP-V-Mount-Battery-HDMI-Station-DSLR-Rail-System-/250861056664?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a687bf298
3. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260849218099

On #2, they comes with the charger which it will continuously charge your V-mount or AB mount battery and supply the power to your camera via #3.

I tried this method before it works perfect. I use the set up on my FS-100 now. As you can see, i can double mount my battery; hence it will last me for a long time.

Jan 08, 2012 at 06:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password