Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Disco effect on display of 5d?

yellowducky
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Disco effect on display of 5d?

Hi all,

Just recently the display on the rear of my 5d started going wonky - it would show the picture but it would look like, well, a color reduced but pastel kind of version of what it should have been showing. Rapping on the back with my finger will knock it back to normal.

So seems like a loose connection. Any ideas on how much this kind of job might be to get fixed? I can live with it for the time being but before I make a special trip over to Canon (1.5 hours away) I thought I would just ask if anyone else has experienced this and had it fixed.

Regards.

Jan 04, 2012 at 03:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Disco effect on display of 5d?

What you're describing is most likely 'posterization', where the number of colours used in the display is greatly reduced from the normal palette. One of my 5D bodies has done this off & on since the summer of 2010, when it got pretty wet, twice. It gives me the heebie-jeebies, and so I gave it to my daughter.

Jan 04, 2012 at 03:46 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Disco effect on display of 5d?

You might want to check with Canon first about whether they even still service the original 5D...

Jan 04, 2012 at 07:11 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Disco effect on display of 5d?

Course they still service the 5D, don't scare him for no reason!

It's usually caused by water damage, had it with both of my 5D's. Not a cheap repair unfortunately though giving the screen a good hard knock with my hand usually restores it to normal.

Jan 04, 2012 at 01:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

yellowducky
• • •
p.1 #5 · Disco effect on display of 5d?

Well I know it was not water damage as it simply has not been wet or in any kind of rain (or even humidity). I first noticed it after taking a whack of sunset shots with the sun in the image - but I doubt that would have done it. Maybe a knock somewhere along the way.

I am a bit torn as I am really hoping to get the new 1Dx although that seems to be a fairy tale still in terms of release date/pricing.

Jan 04, 2012 at 01:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Disco effect on display of 5d?

I didn't mean to imply that you had water damage. Our problems are probably caused by "connectivity issues". In my case, corrosion is the most likely culprit. In your case, "a knock" could easily explain it.

With respect to getting a 1DX - don't sweat the small stuff. The cost to replace your 5D with another one (used, in E+ or better condition), would be about the same as the sales tax that I'll have to pay on a 1DX, later this year.

Jan 04, 2012 at 10:31 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Disco effect on display of 5d?

The 5D LCD is pretty easy to change DIY.
I did on mine. Just keep track of screws, where they go & it will work.
I found the display on Ebay for ~$30. Its the same one as the 30D if I remember.

Dan

Jan 04, 2012 at 10:47 PM
yellowducky
• • •
p.1 #8 · Disco effect on display of 5d?

Yea, its gotta be connectivity jcolwell. I really don't recall knocking it recently (but oh yea, have I knocked it in the past a couple times). My point about the 1DX was more that I held off the 5D2 and now the 5D is really showing its age and my upgrade plan needs to come to fruition (without the 5D dying before the 1DX is available).

I like that DIY ideas dswiger; I can build my own computers. Ebay though is problematic as I am in Hong Kong so getting my hands on a display would be a pain.

Jan 05, 2012 at 03:56 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password