Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

edean
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

Can anyone make a good bag recommendations for a day trip bag with the following requirements:

- Takes a 1D2 +70-200 IS II
- Room for another lens such as the 24L or 50L.
- Provides fast access to the camera.
- Waterproof.

I have a Lowpro Top Loader 70AW which I like but is too short.

Many thanks in advance
Euan

Jan 02, 2012 at 06:20 PM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

Nothing that I know of is going to be truly 'waterproof' except a Pelican type hard case.

Jan 02, 2012 at 06:36 PM
edean
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

thanks Luke, I should probably qualify that as "rain cover"

Jan 02, 2012 at 06:42 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

The best way to check out a bag's fitting is to go to the camera store & try it.
Bring your gear and see how it fits.
I bet most women DON'T do this with purses
I have done this at San Jose Camera at their suggestion.
Worked for me..

The Lowepro bags with the "AW" suffix have pullout water-resistant cover.
I have used these on small shoulder bags & their larger sling bags.
Seems to be pretty effective.

Dan

Jan 02, 2012 at 06:45 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

Crumpler 7 or 8 MDH. I have a 7 and can get my 1d3 with 70-200 f2.8 non IS in there... you'll have four more spots for other lenses, flashes etc.

I'm assuming that by "fast access to the camera" you need a shoulder bag, not a backpack.

Jan 02, 2012 at 06:58 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

I like the Lowepro Stealth Reporter shoulder bags. It's made out of water resistant material and has a pull out weather cover. I like the zip access from the top.

Jan 02, 2012 at 07:35 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

This is what I use, but I don't (or haven't that I can remember) tried carrying it with the body & 70-200 f2.8 L IS attached to each other. I can fit that lens on one side, the body with either a 17-40 L or 24-105 L attached & the other (of those) in a pouch in the same compartment under the mounted lens.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/speed-racer-v2.aspx

Jan 03, 2012 at 03:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

edean
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

Thanks for all the feedback, I have looked around the local camera shops but tend to find that the local ones never have a very good selection of bags.

Apologies in advance for all the questions...

Trojan are the Crumpler MDH bags sturdy /similar quality to Lowepro?

I'm still undecided between a backpack and a Reporter Style bag. WEX have this on special although it's a backpack. Lowepro Fasttrack 350

As for the Reporter bags, would the Lowepro Stealth Reporter 300AW take a pro slr and other lenses, or would I need to go larger? I'd like to have it remain comfortable if taking it on a hike or to an all day event like an air show?

I was also wondering about the sling type bag such as the Lowepro Slingshots; anyone have experience with these?

Jan 03, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

edean wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback, I have looked around the local camera shops but tend to find that the local ones never have a very good selection of bags.

Apologies in advance for all the questions...

Trojan are the Crumpler MDH bags sturdy /similar quality to Lowepro?

I'm still undecided between a backpack and a Reporter Style bag. WEX have this on special although it's a backpack. Lowepro Fasttrack 350

?

I'm looking at much the same thing, but that fastback 350 as far as I can see has no rain cover , looking at lowepros web site I see they also do a fp350 AW (aw for all weather).

For the price I like the look of of the fp350 . Amazon have it at much the same price, but they have a b
Very good returns so if you don't like it .
The other one I've looked at is the flip side.

Jan 03, 2012 at 11:27 AM
edean
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

Thanks Ian, have you a link as the only FP350AW's I can see seem to be double the price at around 100. An extra 50 is a lot for a rain cover

Jan 03, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

Yep looking on amazon it's near 100 as well.
Looking on lowepros site they do look pretty much the same. They seem to sell the AW as a video DSLR bag. I think unlike the no AW it has hangers on the outside for tripods and stuff like that.

Not sure I would pay 100 quid for it though.

Similar looking bag would be the kata 3-in-1 series. I have hear though that the zip setup allows leakage , to the point that even in a light drizzle the water can build up and then run through a gap in the zips. I don't have any personal experience of this .

Jan 03, 2012 at 11:57 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

Not sure about your age and physical condition/ability.... IMO, a backpack style is the better option if you're going to be walking around a lot all day. It will better distribute the weight, whereas a shoulder bag will eventually become uncomfortable, unless you frequently switch shoulders. A sling is kind of between the two, but again, with a lot of gear it will be pulling down on only one shoulder, but won't allow you to switch shoulders like a regular shoulder bag would.

The Fastpack looks reasonable. If you're concerned about water resistance, and if it doesn't have a rain cover, then I would suggest you just bring along a bunch of larger plastic bags, or garbage bags. Sure, it won't look as slick, but it will do the job and will actually be 100% waterproof. The rain covers are often woven nylon, which after a while could let some water through if not properly waterproofed. A plastic bag would also allow you to place the entire bag down on wet ground if you needed to.

Jan 03, 2012 at 11:01 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

I think my crumpler bag is as well constructed as any that I've used... but Lowepro is not one of the ones I've ever used either.

I agree that backpacks are far superior for generally lugging, especially if you're going to be on your feet all day but sling bags are generally much easier to get in and out of, which is why I have some of both.

Jan 03, 2012 at 11:26 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bag recommendations for 1d2 + 70-200 IS II

edean wrote:
Can anyone make a good bag recommendations for a day trip bag with the following requirements:

- Takes a 1D2 +70-200 IS II
- Room for another lens such as the 24L or 50L.
- Provides fast access to the camera.
- Waterproof.

I have a Lowpro Top Loader 70AW which I like but is too short.

Many thanks in advance
Euan

Lowepro Flipside 300 is perfect for the gear combo you have listed. It is well cushioned and very comfortable on your shoulder or back specially when you have to log your gear with you.

Adorama has it for $85 with free shipping:

http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/Default.aspx?searchinfo=Lowepro+Flipside+300+Backpack

Jan 04, 2012 at 03:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password