Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Weird question, what happens to returned lenses?

robscomputer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Weird question, what happens to returned lenses?

A few weeks ago I purchased a new lens from Amazon during the Canon rebates. The lens I received had some issues which were minor but still I wanted to make sure it was ok. Ended up returning the lens via RMA and Amazon sending me a second lens. I compared them back to back and found the new lens was softer.

Instead of dealing with Amazon, I decided to spend the $20 and ship the lens to Canon repair for them to fix it. Also I wanted to be sure that I had the sharpest lens possible, especially considering the steep price I paid.

But this question got me wondering, what does Amazon or any other retailer do when the lens is returned? I would think people who are searching for the perfect lens might buy and return multiple lenses, does the retailer send all of these back to Canon? Or do they do a "Fry's Electronics" style where the items are slightly discounted and returned to the shelf?

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:04 PM
drive_75
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Weird question, what happens to returned lenses?

My guess is that the lens get return to Canon or Canon Repair Shop and the lens will get a complete look over and test, clean and then re-sale as refurbish.

Jan 02, 2012 at 03:11 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Weird question, what happens to returned lenses?

In the case of Amazon, it was most likely sent back to Canon and refurbed.

A lot of retailers will have outlets or "Open Box Buy" areas to sell this kind of thing.

If a box is opened, the package can't be re-sold as new.

Jan 02, 2012 at 03:21 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Weird question, what happens to returned lenses?

drive_75 wrote:
My guess is that the lens get return to Canon or Canon Repair Shop and the lens will get a complete look over and test, clean and then re-sale as refurbish.

Hopefully Henry P. will come here and explain B&H's protocol. On another forum he said that all returns are inspected carefully and those that are deemed to be 100% perfect are re-sold as new.

Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.com

Jan 02, 2012 at 03:23 PM
robscomputer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Weird question, what happens to returned lenses?

One of the issues I have with photography equipment is the general precise nature of the items. If someone bought three lenses, returned two on grounds they were never used, how much validation does the store go through? Not to put down any vendor (especially not B&H) but how much can they really check?

I never worried about this before, especially since my body has micro-adjustments. But after this recent experience, really surprised to see a large difference in two photos from two lenses at near the same time.

Jan 03, 2012 at 11:48 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.