New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Shooting Tethered

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Shooting Tethered

I'd say that virtually all my studio shots are tethered to a MacBookPro and CaptureOne. It's never been an issue having images come up on a screen while I'm shooting, plus, I'm the one who determines when we're going to stop and look at images. It's part of the process and has never interfered with shooting a person, only enhanced the experience. Plus, if you really want to fine tune your exposure and check for focus, it's much faster and better seeing the image on a computer screen and not on the camera LCD. You're also bound to catch more things you'd like to fix looking at a large image on a monitor than you ever would looking at the back of the camera. Clients LOVE seeing the bigger image and the ability to quickly and easily view at 100 percent. It's not that you can't do it without tethering. You can, I just find the whole process smoother when tethered.

Jan 09, 2012 at 03:18 AM
Garry Burton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Shooting Tethered

ukphotographer wrote:
Have you done this whilst working on location and managed to automatically send images from the Ipad (or the tether) at all?

I have a job in the UK coming up which wants AD in California and to be shot on location. I use CaptureOne on a MacBook Pro and would use this if I could work out how to make it happen easily.. ??? Next stop PhaseOne..

Wouldn't the solution be to share your screen? Works for me with PS, I haven't tried with CO but I couldn't see that you would have an issue.

Maybe something along the lines of shoot with CO then import into PS then use the share screen option under "File->Share my screen".
You will be prompted to sign up or into an Acrobat.com account.
Then you will be supplied with a URL to share.

Maybe something to try for your across the pond shoot?

Cheers Gaz

Jan 09, 2012 at 04:00 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Shooting Tethered

For a Nikon user... what are the best options for tethering software?

Jan 09, 2012 at 06:30 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Shooting Tethered

BrianO wrote:
Because the photographer's attention would be split between the subject and the monitor.

This isn't an issue of "the right way" versus "the wrong way" -- it's merely a matter of style or preference. I do mostly intimate portraits of regular people, rather than runway models or rock stars on a big set, and for the way I shoot it wouldn't work well for me to use tethered shooting most of the time. Your mileage may vary.

This is the same for me, as well. I can go either way--with my business clients, tethering works. It's fine if we stop the flow of the session to study and discuss the image. For my personal clients, it doesn't work well at all for me--once I've got them flowing emotionally, I don't take my attention off them or theirs off me.

Families with kids, no, not at all for me.

Jan 09, 2012 at 06:41 AM
f1.2
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Shooting Tethered

Mishu01 wrote:

There are several: Lightroom and Apeture support it as well as Phase one Capture.
Camera Control by Nikon gives more control over settings.
An excellent and free tether tool is Sofortbild.

Jan 09, 2012 at 06:51 AM
onetrack
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Shooting Tethered

Mishu01 wrote:

Lightroom and/or Nikon Camera Control will work. I've had stability problems with Lightroom.

So, I use Fast Picture Viewer Professional sending to Lightroom. Works great and the photo stays on the card in addition to going to the computer. Here's the link http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/

Scott

Jan 09, 2012 at 08:38 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Shooting Tethered

Garry Burton wrote:
Wouldn't the solution be to share your screen? Works for me with PS, I haven't tried with CO but I couldn't see that you would have an issue.

Maybe something to try for your across the pond shoot?

Cheers Gaz

We've done this previously and were involved in a session after I posted the question.. during the session it clicked, just like your suggestion. I've not tried it with CO, but this could make life easier - especially as the images wouldn't need to be saved, loaded to a webserver and then the database re-indexed to view them..

There was a professional version of Fotostation which had live updates to images added to a database, so my first thought was something like that or some event viewing software. In comparison, both these would be the hard way to do it I think.

Further to the tethering issue, in the studio with a calibrated monitor it's a useful tool, but on location it can be a real chore. You just need to decide which is the most convenient for what you're doing or what you want to achieve. A calibrated monitor really is required. Shooting on a MacBookPro will display fantastic images, but when they get transferred to a calibrated system there's more PP needed than if just shooting by meter, Histogram and using the LCD IMO.

Jan 09, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Shooting Tethered

ukphotographer wrote:
in the studio with a calibrated monitor it's a useful tool, but on location it can be a real chore.

While this is certainly true, especially under poor weather conditions, across rough terrain or when time is short, hiring a Digital Tech to solely focus on tethering and maintenance under any of the stated conditions will certainly relieve some of the pressure. If the budget allows for a DT, of course.

Where there's a will, there's a way. The best solution for the OP is to try a tethered shoot, take note of the pros and cons according to his work conditions, etc., then decide for himself.

Jan 09, 2012 at 01:53 PM
Robert Spencer
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Shooting Tethered

Skarkowtsky said" The best solution for the OP is to try a tethered shoot, take note of the pros and cons according to his work conditions, etc., then decide for himself".

I think you`re probably right. So thats upcoming with hopes of a favorable outcome. Thanks for all those contributing your experiences and opinions. Take care. Bob

Jan 09, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Shooting Tethered

You're certainly welcome, Bob! I hope you enjoy all the benefits of shooting tethered. In my experience, it makes for an easier day.

Jan 10, 2012 at 09:01 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.