Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

EDIT:

Finally got him to contact me again and he says he finally checked his mailbox yesterday and found that it had been there all along since 12/21/11 after all and that I was lucky that he was honest and had spent an hour tonight trying to email paypal that he did receive it after all. Gee I guess I am ever so thankful that he didn't try to take advantage of the situation to rip me off. I did tell him as long ago as 12/23/11 that the USPS said they had delivered the package to him despite what the primary tracking said so can you blame me for starting to accuse him when he doesn't bother to check his mail box for 8 more days and takes 9 to get back to me? I guess he does.

Anyway, haha, what ends well, ends well.
Ridiculous. Just gotta laugh in the end.

Edited on Jan 09, 2012 at 07:33 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2012 at 07:23 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

According ot the USPS, the package and insurance tracking sticker were delivered to his San Diego mail drop box but the tracking sticker fell off an got stuck to something that went to Sparta, TN so maybe he decided to take advantage and point to the tracking sticker and rip me off?

Sparta, TN post office insists it is impossible they delivered to the wrong address since his street doesn't even exist in their town and they see the insurance form and package itself having scanning into his address in San Diego as it should have. And the San Diego post office says the same thing that is was delivered to San Diego.

But he hasn't responded since 12/22/11 and he was supposed to have used it in a shoot just before New Year's so he certainly should have been out to SD from Miami by now to have checked his box.

Edited on Jan 02, 2012 at 01:56 AM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2012 at 07:28 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

I just called paypal and they said they will open an appeal next week when I get the USPS to fax tracking info based on the insurance form to them, so maybe I still have a chance. They say they may reverse it if the fax shows the insurance form showing it delivered to his address and the post office signs off that they are sure of delivery.

At first I thought maybe he just got scared by the tracking # showing it headed for TN instead of CA, which I could certainly understand, but he has dropped out of sight and refuses to answer now whether he has even bothered to check his San Diego drop box yet and it's been over a week since he has responded. Granted it is the holidays, but hey it's been the holidays for me too and his claim already closed out against me in the meantime and he said he needed to use it before Jan 1 so he shoul dhave had to have checked his box by now.

(for those talking about > $250, the item sold for under $250, I think it was $232 with shipping, but yeah using signature confirmation is probably a good idea anyway, although I don't think it would have helped here since that is the tracking form that apparently fell off and got stuck to some other package; and I used about 10 pieces of packing tape around and around the address and since the insurance form tracks to San Diego, there is no way the address fell off the package)

Either the USPS is lying to me about showing the insurance form tracking and a delivery to San Diego or he is.

Maybe he got mad when I questioned him if he had changed the address mid-send to TN as some sort of scam and is trying to get back at me for daring to question him, pretty vindictive if so as well as illegal.

Maybe he was afraid the item wouldn't be awaiting him for his shoot and he figured if he can't be sure if it will be there for him and he has to track another one down then he wants out but then he should at least keep in touch with me and not disappear! I mean you can't try to back out of an auction AND keep the item.

Assuming the USPS is lying or haven't done something horribly wrong it's hard to think anything good about this buyer. And even then he could at least try to stay in contact with me so we could figure out what is what.

Edited on Jan 02, 2012 at 04:51 AM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2012 at 08:26 PM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

Easy - don't ship USPS. The one time a buyer tried to defraud me he kept telling me how much cheaper USPS is and refused to pay for anything else. This was a $6000 camera and lens (Linhof 617). I shipped it FedEx with insurance and signature required, out of my own pocket. Sure enough, on the 1st of the next month he tried a chargeback claiming it never arrived. With the FedEx online digital signature it was a simple matter to refute; paypal sided with me instantly.

You're just too cheap for your own good.

Jan 02, 2012 at 12:38 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

Jan Brittenson wrote:
Easy - don't ship USPS. The one time a buyer tried to defraud me he kept telling me how much cheaper USPS is and refused to pay for anything else. This was a $6000 camera and lens (Linhof 617). I shipped it FedEx with insurance and signature required, out of my own pocket. Sure enough, on the 1st of the next month he tried a chargeback claiming it never arrived. With the FedEx online digital signature it was a simple matter to refute; paypal sided with me instantly.

You're just too cheap for your own good.

Well paypal says they will re-open the case if I get the USPS to fax the tracking on the insurance form. I never had an issue with the USPS before and have sent tons of packages with them and I've seen peopel complain about FedEx too so I wasn't thinking I was being cheap.

Jan 02, 2012 at 02:01 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

Well it seems like it will be resolved since he says he is now emailing them that it had been in his box all along since 12/21/11 and that they should reverse the claim that went against me. He only first actually looked in his drop box for it yesterday. Haha just ridiculous. My package to him was sitting in his box the entire 12 days (sure the tracking sticker said it wasn't in his box but I told him on 12/23/11 that the USPS told me that the tracking sticker was a mistake and that he needs to just look in his box and it should be there)!

(and HE is all pissy at me tonight) gotta love it, just ridiculous hah

Jan 02, 2012 at 04:05 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:10 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

skibum5 wrote:
EDIT:

Finally got him to contact me again and he says he finally checked his mailbox yesterday and found that it had been there all along since 12/21/11 after all and that I was lucky that he was honest and had spent an hour tonight trying to email paypal that he did receive it after all. Gee I guess I am ever so thankful that he didn't try to take advantage of the situation to rip me off. I did tell him as long ago as 12/23/11 that the USPS said they had delivered the package to him despite what the
...Show more

I think you jumped the gun by posting his name for all to see without a real need to do so. I would have assumed the guy went somewhere between Christmas and New Years, like many people. I would have waited until this next week before getting paypal and the likes involved.

Posting his name online like you did was not right.

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:24 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

So this buyer leaves a package taking up residence in his freakin' mailbox since 12/21/11 and doesn't get off his/her arse to go check to see? Doesn't offer a communication "oh, btw, I'm gonna be out of town for the holidays and won't be back until Jan 01," and, Chez, you're saying seller "jumped the gun?" Wow!!!! You must have the patience of Job (the Biblical guy)

skibum5, thanks for posting this guy's name. I for one will boycott his/her sales, WTB's.

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:47 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

anthonysemone wrote:
So this buyer leaves a package taking up residence in his freakin' mailbox since 12/21/11 and doesn't get off his/her arse to go check to see? Doesn't offer a communication "oh, btw, I'm gonna be out of town for the holidays and won't be back until Jan 01," and, Chez, you're saying seller "jumped the gun?" Wow!!!! You must have the patience of Job (the Biblical guy)

skibum5, thanks for posting this guy's name. I for one will boycott his/her sales, WTB's.

+1, totally agree with you Anthony. In todays day and age, everyone has either a laptop and/or android, so no one should be "offline" or out-of-the-loop for very long at all.

Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.com

Jan 02, 2012 at 02:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

now i have a little problem with that statement in general. the only time i feel i am obliged to be ONLINE or IN THE LOOP is either at my leisure or i have "in work" business business that needs to be attended to. in addition i have a phone for emergencies. if one can text one can call if it's important.

in this situation the buyer failed in their responsibility. so anthonysemone is pretty much right on target as there was an "in work" situation.

you can ask anyone who has done business with me. i stay in contact.

Jan 02, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

sjms wrote:
now i have a little problem with that statement in general. the only time i feel i am obliged to be ONLINE or IN THE LOOP is either at my leisure or i have "in work" business business that needs to be attended to. in addition i have a phone for emergencies. if one can text one can call if it's important.

in this situation the buyer failed in their responsibility. so anthonysemone is pretty much right on target as there was an "in work" situation.

you can ask anyone who has done business with me. i stay in contact.

The point I was getting at is that if you are selling anything ONLINE and the buyer is given access to a contact number or email (including contact through ebay or PayPal, etc.), I believe it is in your own best interest to check your voicemails and emails once a day or at the very least once every 3 days. That's just the way reputable businesses operate today. If I go away on vacation, I make it a point to check in with phone and email messages daily, but that's just how we do things here and it has served us very well. And I don't know a single person (between 20 and 60 years old) who doesn't own a laptop or android.

Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.com

Jan 02, 2012 at 03:30 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

chez wrote:
I think you jumped the gun by posting his name for all to see without a real need to do so. I would have assumed the guy went somewhere between Christmas and New Years, like many people. I would have waited until this next week before getting paypal and the likes involved.

Posting his name online like you did was not right.

Well I had my paypal locked down this entire time when the guy had the package sitting in his mailbox the entire time and I'm still in the process of getting it straightened out and paypal was starting to hound me for having a large negative balance and I was calling the post office almost every day, sending more and more documents to paypal, when if he had just looked in his mailbox 9-11 days ago none of this would have gone on like this.

What was I to think when the post office insisted each day that they had delivered it to him and then he won't respond for 9 days and paypal closes the case against me and starts asking me for money to cover the deficit?

What if he was scamming or the account had been hacked and someone else was about to ship something out? I got saved once before when someone posted info on someone just in time. As it turned out it was a mistake this time and I'm sorry and it's a shame he got scared by the messed up tracking but can you really blame me that much for eventually posting here?

I told him as far back as 12/23/11 that the USPS said it was in his box despite the primary tracking info. I had planned to try to sell a bunch more items during this time when people had money in hand they got for Christmas before they spent it all. I tried to contact him for nine straight days without a response and he had told me he needed to use it a couple days or so before the new year and it was now after the new year. What was I to think? That he still hadn't looked in his box for days after he said he needed it?

I finally started texting him last night and posting this stuff on the net and then he finally responded and went about trying to make it right. And I then removed his name from this thread.

Anyway I don't blame him for filing a claim against me the second he saw it going to TN instead of SD since you need to act fast if you think you are being ripped off. If his box isn't right at his house I don't even blame him for filing the claim before going down to his drop box location. And neither of us are at fault for accusing the other at the start of trying to pull something. I don't care he got upset at first, I can't blame him for worry and thinking the worst of me at first. We both were worried the other party was tryign to pull something.

But a day later the post office tells me that the tracking sticker fell off and should be ignored since they tracked it by the insurance sticker which proved it had been delivered to him. I sent an email asking him if he had actually checked his box yet since he had been pretty vague about it, he made it sound like he had checked but his message wasn't 100% clear on it, and to check it just in case he hadn't yet since the post office said it should be there. I sent him msgs every few days asking what was going on, I attached notes to the ebay auction, etc. I hear nothing for 9 days and then I see the case closed against me (and in the meantime I also see that he eventually responded back to paypal half-way through this period, it sat on awaiting buyer response for a couple of days and then it moved on to the next stage, so he did get their message and respond during the middle of these nine days) so yeah I freaked out a bit at that point and posted here about it. Even if his drop box was a bit of a drive away and he was sure I was a scammer and didn't want to waste his time he could've at least called his drop box annex and asked them if they had received packages for him.

Anyway whatever, he is doing what he can to make it right now. Just one of those things were everything goes wrong before it goes right.

Payapl said they are now asking him for confirmation of delivery to clear my name and for him to re-send the money.

Edited on Jan 02, 2012 at 07:03 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2012 at 06:26 PM
dw310

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

Only way I could justify what he did is if he was going to be out of town for many days, couldn't check his box drop, and became concerned that you were an eBay scammer. After all, it would look highly unusual/suspicious that his package went to TN.

This is a case of two apparently honest people with a huge mixup, all thanks to the USPS, who didn't actually make a mistake. After all, with all the packages they deliver this time of year (or any time of year), how can they assure that a sticker doesn't inadvertently transfer over to another package?

It's hard to blame anyone in this case. Perfect example of life just not being perfect.

That said, I think I'm giving him a huge benefit of the doubt. Didn't he tell you he wanted it quickly for a shoot? Then didn't check for days to see if it had arrived? Maybe he had an emergency that kept him away? I dunno. I can not fault you for the actions you took.

Jan 02, 2012 at 06:57 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

dw310,

you obviously join the ranks of those who have incredible patience for buyers who piss around with you. May I suggest you'd best be careful what you make excuses for, you might just have the experience had by OP.

Jan 02, 2012 at 07:03 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

Nickle S. wrote:
The point I was getting at is that if you are selling anything ONLINE and the buyer is given access to a contact number or email (including contact through ebay or PayPal, etc.), I believe it is in your own best interest to check your voicemails and emails once a day or at the very least once every 3 days. That's just the way reputable businesses operate today. If I go away on vacation, I make it a point to check in with phone and email messages daily, but that's just how we do things here and it has
...Show more

like i said "in work"

Jan 02, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

Like I said, anyone who is selling something and has contact information through ebay or PayPal should be in-the-loop for a reasonable time period. For the seller to go AWOL and be shocked at the turn of events when he returned is lame. Again, things like this happened very often say 5 years ago, but with todays technology, it's inexcusable and stupid. The buyer had every reason to be pi$$ed off even though he wasn't dealing with a "business" per se.

The worst experience using the internet is to make a payment in good faith and subsequently have zero communication with the seller. This guy should have taken the item out of play and put it back in when he returned, at least that's what I would have done if I were going away and had NO means of checking my phone or email messages.

Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.com

Jan 02, 2012 at 08:55 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

Nicholas,

If I read the posts correctly, it was the buyer who went AWOL in this case. Whatever the case, if either goes AWOL, IMHO it is inexcusable.

Here's the right way to do it:

I had a recent transaction with a gentleman within 1-2 days USPS Priority shipping from Philly. Holiday schedule screwed up the initial delivery, arriving at seller's place of business after closing hours on a Thursday. Seller contacted USPS next AM and was assured it would be delivered that PM. It wasn't. Seller contacted USPS to be told by supervisor "it will be brought back out." It wasn't, postman having "forgotten." He contacted USPS again next AM, reassured that it would be "delivered next time out." Lo and behold, it was.

Seller kept me in the loop every step of the way, especially important because USPS tracking isn't worth a shit, unless it's Express Mail (and even then on occasion it sucks as well). The seller in my case is a professional whose work demands moment to moment concentration on the tasks at hand because lives can indeed depend upon the adequacy with which he does that. I couldn't have asked for a better seller.

So, frankly, I don't give a shit about what the buyer in OP's case had by way of whatever the hell it is he had going on so that he sat on his fat ass for 10 days +/- and kept OP hanging and screwing up his account.

Jan 02, 2012 at 09:29 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

Anthony,

You get right to the crux of the matter. Let me concur on one important point - USPS tracking is total crap (wait until the gov. start tracking our health care, sheesh). On the whole, our overseas shipping has been pretty good, but Lord help us when a package goes missing. We have actually stopped filing claims with USPS because it get us absolutely nowhere. Here's the routine:
1) call the 800 number
2) report missing package
3) give operator all relavant information including value
4) follow up by faxing copy of invoice
5) operator says USPS will trace package and contact us with status within 30 days
6) we wait and I believe hell has frozen over for any updates from USPS, IOW, we have never heard back from them on any of our claims. Therefore we are out the cost of the materials plus the shipping with NO recourse whatsoever.

We went through this process countless times until we realized it was just a waste of time. I spoke personally to a head-honcho for my district and hell is continuing to freeze over. When a missing package claim is filed, USPS simply tosses it in the trashcan. The operators then go outside, light up a cigarette and have a good laugh.

Regards,
Nicholas

Jan 02, 2012 at 09:47 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · WOW ebay/paypal situation - ends well in the end

Nickle S. wrote:
Anthony,

You get right to the crux of the matter. Let me concur on one important point - USPS tracking is total crap (wait until the gov. start tracking our health care, sheesh). On the whole, our overseas shipping has been pretty good, but Lord help us when a package goes missing. We have actually stopped filing claims with USPS because it get us absolutely nowhere. Here's the routine:
1) call the 800 number
2) report missing package
3) give operator all relavant information including value
4) follow up by faxing copy of invoice
5) operator says USPS will trace package and contact us with
...Show more

Yikes.
It sounds like you do tons of shipping. What shipping company handles claims the best?
I suspect UPS stinks, since someone once sent me a box smashed to bits and UPS denied his insurance claim on it.
The USPS has always seemed to treat my packages well, in terms of bashing and smashing or more lack thereof, coming or going but hearing how they handle lost packages doesn't sound too encouraging! Is their insurance basically worthless then?

Jan 02, 2012 at 10:25 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password