Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

zwick
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

Perhaps this has been covered before.
If so I was searching in the wrong area.

I have read that you can let the iso go to auto while setting the shutter and aperture.
Is this true?
If so, how do I set this up?

Thanks

z

Jan 01, 2012 at 01:35 AM
Derek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

You can do what you ask by simply putting the ISO on Auto, and setting the Camera to Manual

You can't however use exposure compensation in this mode from memory, although you can if you use aperture priority instead.

Where it falls down a little is you can only set the minimum shutter speed as a custom function in full one step increments, eg: 250/500/1000

I hate to say it but the implementation of auto ISO in the Nikon D3 leaves it for dead

Jan 01, 2012 at 02:25 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

zwick wrote:
...I have read that you can let the iso go to auto while setting the shutter and aperture. ...Is this true? ...If so, how do I set this up?

Press the ISO button on the top panel just as when selecting any other ISO setting, and rotate the control dial through the numbers until "A" appears. It will then be in Auto-ISO mode, and will give an ISO range of 100 - 12800 in most modes when shooting under ambient light.

If you're using flash, the ISO will initially lock at 400 in most modes. If that will cause an overexposure it will select a lower ISO number after ETTL flash metering.

If you're in Program mode and have a Speedlite tilted into bounce position, you'll get an Auto-ISO range from 400 - 1600.

Jan 01, 2012 at 08:08 AM
zwick
• •
p.1 #4 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

Thanks

I can't wait to try this out tomorrow

Jan 01, 2012 at 08:38 AM
rolette
• •
p.1 #5 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

Derek wrote:
I hate to say it but the implementation of auto ISO in the Nikon D3 leaves it for dead

That makes it sound like there is a major difference on the D3. I'm not familiar with Nikon's implementation of Auto-ISO at all...

Is there more to it (vs. the 1D4) than just having EC in M+Auto-ISO?

Auto-ISO is completely useless on most Canon bodies other than the 1D4, but it definitely has its time and place on the 1D4.

Jay

Jan 01, 2012 at 03:13 PM
Photon
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

rolette wrote:
Jay wrote:
That makes it sound like there is a major difference on the D3. I'm not familiar with Nikon's implementation of Auto-ISO at all...

Auto-ISO is completely useless on most Canon bodies other than the 1D4, but it definitely has its time and place on the 1D4.

Jay

I agree, Auto ISO is quite useful on the 1D4. EC can be set as a custom function, but is enough bother that it would only be practical in a few situations, and then I wouldn't likely use Auto ISO anyway. In spite of that, Auto ISO works very well if used appropriately.

Jan 01, 2012 at 06:56 PM
zwick
• •
p.1 #7 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

Thanks for the comment.
I redid it with an eye to more contrast.

zwick 2012

Richmond Bridge Revised

Jan 01, 2012 at 08:47 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

zwick wrote:
Thanks for the comment. I redid it with an eye to more contrast.

Wrong thread. This is your "Floating ISO" thread.

Jan 01, 2012 at 08:57 PM
Karver

p.1 #9 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

Of course, you CAN correct exposure also in manual mode despite 99% of all people claim you cannot. It is just not as convenient as using quick control dial. And minimum step is 1/8 of the stop and the total range is 2 stops ( -1 stop +1 stop ).

Jan 01, 2012 at 09:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #10 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

Derek wrote:
You can do what you ask by simply putting the ISO on Auto, and setting the Camera to Manual

You can't however use exposure compensation in this mode from memory, although you can if you use aperture priority instead.

Where it falls down a little is you can only set the minimum shutter speed as a custom function in full one step increments, eg: 250/500/1000

But you can set AE Microadjustment if you had to for EC compensation. Just add it to your My Menu and set it when needed. As close as you can get to EC in manual with auto ISO.

Jan 03, 2012 at 04:37 AM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #11 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

rolette wrote:

Jay

For Nikon's Auto-ISO you have a menu that you set your minimum ISO & your minimum shutter speed and the camera makes adjustments necessary to maintain those values. You can shoot aperture priority, select your aperture & set your minimum shutter speed and the camera adjusts ISO as needed.

IMO, its an awesome feature I wish Canon would duplicate as opposed to their Auto-ISO just defaulting to a minimum shutter speed equal to your lens' focal length.

Jan 03, 2012 at 05:42 AM
Derek
• • •
p.1 #12 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

TeamSpeed wrote:
But you can set AE Microadjustment if you had to for EC compensation. Just add it to your My Menu and set it when needed. As close as you can get to EC in manual with auto ISO.

There's a reason why you normally set it with a quick control dial............coz you need to do it quickly, not drilling down through a load of stupid menus, by that time the shots gone

Jan 03, 2012 at 07:05 AM
rolette
• •
p.1 #13 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

gvg45 wrote:
For Nikon's Auto-ISO you have a menu that you set your minimum ISO & your minimum shutter speed and the camera makes adjustments necessary to maintain those values. You can shoot aperture priority, select your aperture & set your minimum shutter speed and the camera adjusts ISO as needed.

IMO, its an awesome feature I wish Canon would duplicate as opposed to their Auto-ISO just defaulting to a minimum shutter speed equal to your lens' focal length.

That's exactly what Auto-ISO does on the 1D4

Jan 03, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

rolette wrote:
That's exactly what Auto-ISO does on the 1D4

... except that the 1D4 does not allow normal easy to use exposure compensation, and EC is vital to getting correct exposure of many shots. Plus EC is reported in EXIF data but I think the Canon exposure metering adjustment via custom function is not.

Canon messed up their auto ISO implementation and could have fixed it so easily with a firmware update but they would rather make you buy the next generation of camera than fix a mistake. Typical Canon - never improve a camera that isn't actually broken to the extent that it can't be made to work at all.

The same applies with their implementation of spot AF mode in the 1D4.

- Alan

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:59 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #15 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

Derek wrote:
There's a reason why you normally set it with a quick control dial............coz you need to do it quickly, not drilling down through a load of stupid menus, by that time the shots gone

Really, you set EC that often shot after shot? I can do this in 3 button clicks, dial in my EC, and hit Set.... shoot a bunch... done!

Not very tedious at all. Menu->Set->Info, change value, Set

Sure not as easy as EC in Av and Tv, but certainly not as exaggeratedly difficult as you try to make it out to be.

Jan 05, 2012 at 02:12 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

I prefer canons Auto ISO to nikons, canons takes into account the focal length, nikons doesnt.

If only it would notice the lens has IS!

Jan 05, 2012 at 02:15 AM
rolette
• •
p.1 #17 · Floating ISO ID Mark 4

Alan321 wrote:
... except that the 1D4 does not allow normal easy to use exposure compensation, and EC is vital to getting correct exposure of many shots.

Yep, I mentioned that earlier as the one missing feature that I know of in the 1D4 implementation of Auto-ISO.

My work-around is to use Av + Auto-ISO and set the min shutter speed via custom functions. For a given shoot, it is pretty rare that I really have to change the min shutter speed. EC works in this configuration from the back dial as usual.

No major drawbacks for my usage compared to M + Auto-ISO + EC.

Canon messed up their auto ISO implementation and could have fixed it so easily with a firmware update but they would rather make you buy the next generation of camera than fix a mistake.
Fixing M + Auto-ISO + EC is more complicated than just a firmware update. What control do you use for EC? Both dials are already spoken for in M. You could add another custom function to let the user pick which dial to use for EC, but now you've lost "direct" control over either SS or aperture.

At that point, you are essentially in the exact same condition you have already on the 1D4 with Av/Tv + Auto-ISO and EC. Given that, what's the point in complicating the code and configuration options (not to mention adding a much larger chunk of QA effort) since you already have the same thing due to physical control limitations?

Typical Canon - never improve a camera that isn't actually broken to the extent that it can't be made to work at all.

The same applies with their implementation of spot AF mode in the 1D4.

No argument there. Canon is very bad about that.

Jay

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:33 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password