Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

cantwellian
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

I've been lurking around the site for a while, but only just registered, and this is my first post... So go easy.

I'm trying to choose between messenger style camera bags, and I think I've got it narrowed down to the Tenba Messenger Large Photo/Laptop bag, and the Lowepro Classifed 200 AW. I have and use a Lowepro Computrekker, but the gear is flat out overflowing at this point!

If any of you have experience with either or both of these bags, I'd love to hear your opinions!

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:17 AM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

Add crumpler to you messenger list. I Just bought the 3 million home for my panasonic M43. It feels great on my side.

Thomas

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:27 AM
cantwellian
• •
p.1 #3 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

The Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home Bag does look like a solid contender, but it doesn't appear to have a top zipper pass-through... Right?

Dec 30, 2011 at 01:38 AM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #4 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

cantwellian wrote:
The Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home Bag does look like a solid contender, but it doesn't appear to have a top zipper pass-through... Right?

No zippers (unless they have changed again)... velcro on the front only... I have the 7MDH and it's THE best messenger bag I have used - got rid of the others long ago.

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:24 AM
cantwellian
• •
p.1 #5 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

The Crumplers are definitely tempting...

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:56 AM
cantwellian
• •
p.1 #6 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

Why is it so hard to find the perfect bag?!?

After reading many, many reviews, and watching as many videos as I could find, I'm really leaning toward the Lowepro Classified 200... For a couple of reasons.

The Tenba has velcro with no silencer, and I want to stay quiet (weddings, etc.).

The Crumpler has velcro silencers, but no top flap pass through, so quick access isn't very quick... Although other than that the Crumpler would probably be my pick.

Before I pull the trigger, anybody out there have any other experiences to add?

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:23 PM
cantwellian
• •
p.1 #7 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

Although I keep thinking about that darn Crumpler too... gah!

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:25 PM
scorpio1
• • •
p.1 #8 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

If it's strictly for wedding work you may also want to check out the Think Tank Lens Changer 3. I have a couple of the Crumplers, but plan on trying the Lens Changer 3 next month.

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:27 PM
cantwellian
• •
p.1 #9 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

Thanks for the tip, that's a neat bag! A little too specialized for what I'm looking at right now, but it's definitely on the list for later. I want to be able to carry a camera, couple of lenses and accessories, so I need a little more that right now.

Dec 30, 2011 at 07:13 PM
senorjax

p.1 #10 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

Not sure what you mean about quick access on the Crumpler not being so quick. It's as simple as lifting the top flap, quicker than a zipper if you ask me. Their velcro holds extremely well, I never use the backup clippy things except for transport. Love the Crumpler.

Jan 01, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

genoph
• • •
p.1 #11 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

I really like the crumpler (I have the 7 million dollar home and it's a good fit if you have more than three lenses or more than one camera, but less than five lenses, I'm starting to outgrow it). I had a Tenba with the quick access and never used it. It's faster to flop up the hood, and quieter.

That being said I really like the offerings from Kata.

Jan 01, 2012 at 04:09 AM
garyroach
• • •
p.1 #12 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

Might want to look at the Think Tank Retrospective bags too.

Jan 01, 2012 at 07:21 PM
cantwellian
• •
p.1 #13 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

I like the Think Tank Retros, but they're a bit more than I want to spend on a bag right now. The other bags I'm looking at run between $90-$135, and the smallest Think Tank Retro (the 10) that I would consider is $160 on amazon. Nice bags, but not as competitive on the pricing. (Which is a consideration...)

@genoph - Thanks! Hearing how these things work in real life is very helpful, since I don't have a decent local shop to try anything out in. I still can't decide, but the Crumpler is still very definitely in contention...

Jan 01, 2012 at 08:56 PM
genzbenz

p.1 #14 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

I love my Tenba messenger bag! I haven't tried any of the others mentioned here, but it's a fantastic bag. There's an extra zipper in the flap that allows for a quick and easy lens change.

Jan 04, 2012 at 05:00 AM
Picture This!
• • •
p.1 #15 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

not to make this more complicated but have you considered the Timbuk2 snoop messenger ? I have it and its very nice.

Jan 04, 2012 at 07:06 AM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #16 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

What exactly do you want to carry in the bag? Lenses only, or lenses plus body? Need to fit a flash as well? And what sized lenses?

Jan 04, 2012 at 01:31 PM
cantwellian
• •
p.1 #17 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

@Mr Kris - My T2i with the 70-200mm f/4L attached and hood reversed (and possibly another body soon), Sigma 15-30mm, a couple of small primes, Nikon SB-800 (and probably another flash soon), radio transmitter/receiver set, filter case, batteries & cards, and my netbook, with maybe a magazine or two on occasion. And if possible, a Zacuto Z-finder, but that can sit at the bottom, under something else, since I don't use it too often. I'd like to have this gear fit without stuffing the bag to capacity, too. (so I guess realistically it's between the Crumpler 8 Million & the Lowepro Classified 250 AW, unless there's another in that range)

I'm planning on adding the 24-70mm f/2.8L sometime this year, so fitting that would be nice, but not necessarily a do-or-die point.

@Picture This! - The Timbuk2 snoop seems to be significantly smaller than the bags I'm looking at, and doesn't seem to have many/any pockets, unless I'm missing something?

Jan 05, 2012 at 04:56 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

I love some of the Crumplers, too, but.... am I the only one who thinks they tend to be bulky and overpadded?

Jan 05, 2012 at 06:46 PM
cantwellian
• •
p.1 #19 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

I've definitely noticed that in most of the videos i've seen... Huge bag, but the inside is smaller than the outside would lead you to believe.

Jan 05, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Bob Sumitro
• •
p.1 #20 · Messenger Bags: Tenba or Lowepro?

Have you looked at CourierWare, http://courierbags.com/
I love their products, I have two of their camera bags and one of their large bag that I use as my gym bag and as my travel bag. Great service too.

Bob

Jan 06, 2012 at 04:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password