Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Looking for info on vintage filters

no_surrender
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Looking for info on vintage filters

I received a Canon FT QL from my uncle as an unexpected Christmas present after he noticed I have taken up photography as a hobby. Within the camera bag, he had 5 filters that I know nothing about. Was hoping someone could guide me through what the letters/numbers mean. The only info I could find were similar filters for sale on e-bay, but no info was given. Much thanks in advance!

PRO 48 (Greek symbol that looks like a 0/zero) No. 3 JAPAN
Toshiba 49mm SL-1A
Toshiba 49mm CU No.4 JAPAN
PRO 48 (Greek symbol again) 1A JAPAN
Toshiba 49mm P.L JAPAN, with a triangle on the opposite side of the filter case as the name

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Looking for info on vintage filters

The 1A filters are probably Skylight 1A, which is a slight warming filter, PL is probably a polarizer, and CU is probably a close up filter with the number being the positive diopter.

EBH

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:04 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #3 · Looking for info on vintage filters

EB-1 wrote:
The 1A filters are probably Skylight 1A, which is a slight warming filter, PL is probably a polarizer, and CU is probably a close up filter with the number being the positive diopter.

EBH

Thank you!

Dec 31, 2011 at 03:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Looking for info on vintage filters

I should add that the filters are probably not multi-coated so use them judiciously if at all.

EBH

Dec 31, 2011 at 05:08 PM
campyone
• •
p.1 #5 · Looking for info on vintage filters

I believe that P.R.O. was a brand of filter made years ago. They were very inexpensive and frankly probably not all that great. I don't think they're still made.

Jan 03, 2012 at 04:32 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #6 · Looking for info on vintage filters

Thanks you two. I shot 8 exposures with the SL-1A and 6 without. Still have 10 to go and trying to shoot with purpose since it is so expensive now to develop. Using B&W film now, can't wait to finish the roll and see how it comes out. As far as the filters, I'll take the advice and store them somewhere.

Kevin

Jan 04, 2012 at 01:47 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password