Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Eliminating shadows with HDR?

kakomu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eliminating shadows with HDR?

I want to head out and take some photographs of objects to use for texturing in Maya. For such a task, I'd probably set the camera fairly far away and use a 100mm Macro lens for minimal barrel/pincushion distortion.

When it comes to the final result, you typically want an image that has no shadows (as though it were photographed using a diffused light source). This allows you to make your own shadows down the line. However, when photographing subjects outdoors, there's a good chance the subjects are going to be in direct sunlight or near bounced light that produces shadows.

I wanted explore all possibilities for photographing the subject without a lighting rig attached to the camera.

My current thought is using HDR: Would I be able to photograph a subject, such as a brick wall, create an HDR image and eliminate the shadows using a tone mapping program?

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:34 PM
Ho1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eliminating shadows with HDR?

My guess is that if you can, the result won't be convincing. I think you'd be better off using layer blends in Photoshop, perhaps using luminosity masks.

http://www.hougaardmalan.com/blog/advanced-contrast-application/

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:42 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password