Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

AChilders

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

I've been slowly expanding my gear and I am up to 4 lenses and 2 430 ex ii's. I have one main body and I will be investing in a second body here soon. I would also like to be able to carry my 13" MacBook Pro along with me, but it's not required. I'm specifically looking for a Think Tank bag just based on the ratings they have. If you have had experience with Think Tank and you're a PJ, what would you recommend as a walk around bag for this amount of gear?

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:29 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

If by "walk around" you mean not a rolling bag, I'd say the Urban Disguise 70 v2 would fill the bill for you. It's a shoulder bag with enough interior space for your lenses and flashes. The new thing about the v2 version is expanded front pockets that will fit two pro-sized DSLRs. Another good thing about this bag is that it has attachment points on both ends, enabling you to add Think Tank's modular components if you need them, as well as attachment points on the bottom to add straps to carry a tripod. It will also hold your MacBook Pro.

Dec 29, 2011 at 06:45 AM
ChadAndreo
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

The TT retrospective 30 seems to be a popular and well liked choice.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:00 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

How quickly will you need access to your gear? Bags and backpacks are not the best choice if time is of the essence. If you're going out to get headshots and have the luxury of some amount of set-up time, then you have many more options for carrying your stuff.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM
AChilders

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

I would like to have access to my other lenses pretty quickly but still be able to carry it comfortably.

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:44 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

I still recommend the Urban Disguise. I'm getting one myself, after using the older version (Urban Disguise 60) for years. If you put your other lenses to the side, you can put two bodies with lenses attached vertically into the center of the body of the bag and get either of them out easily. That's why I'm upgrading to the new version.

Dec 29, 2011 at 07:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

this is a working PJ bag
http://i.pbase.com/o2/89/44489/1/105384775.kPH4YP5c.IMG_0042s.JPG

Dec 29, 2011 at 07:58 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

Just another couple of thoughts for you. You do have other options, but here's why I still recommend the shoulder bag.

I have the Think Tank modular belt system as well. To use it with two bodies, you need to have straps to hang the bodies over your shoulder, or attach to the harness system Think Tank makes. That's okay in certain circumstances, but you will look pretty much like a soldier in full combat gear or a walking camera shop with the gear you say you'd like to have access to. I use this setup (with fewer pieces of gear), when I want to be highly mobile, flexible, and not having to set my bag down to switch up or get a quick shot (e.g. shooting a rodeo). I shoot football also, but have found that two bodies with a different lens on each is what I need for that, so no bag or belt system is required.

Backpacks are also an option, but to get to anything, you have to take the bag off, lay it down, and get what you need, put back what you had, and either put it back on your back or leave it sitting on the floor/ground. For me, photo backpacks are for hauling, not for shooting. (I have several, so I'm not knocking them.)

Rolling cases are also an option, but again, you need to put them down, open them up, get what you need, and move on. As with backpacks, they're best for getting your gear to where you need it, but not really good for changing and shooting on the fly. For that style, I still think a good shoulder bag is the way to go.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:04 PM
AChilders

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

SJMS, What bag is that?

Steve, I'm going to be getting the belt system tomorrow because I have a concert Saturday night that I'm covering and I will need it for sports next fall as well.

I like the UD but it just doesn't seem like it will hold up for very long. I'm currently using a smaller Lowepro shoulder bag that is smaller than small and it will no longer get my gear from one place to another.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:28 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

It may seem obvious, but I'd recommend going to a camera shop and trying them out for yourself. Everyone is different. I wouldn't worry about the UD falling apart; I'd worry about the weight - the 70 UD packed with that much gear (including the laptop here...) would weigh A LOT. (IMHO). I love TT products, but they are so well-made that the larger bags are heavy-ish, and if this is a walk-around bag...well it is up to you, of course! Good luck with the search and post back and let us know what you decided on.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

AChilders wrote:
SJMS, What bag is that?

Steve, I'm going to be getting the belt system tomorrow because I have a concert Saturday night that I'm covering and I will need it for sports next fall as well.

I like the UD but it just doesn't seem like it will hold up for very long. I'm currently using a smaller Lowepro shoulder bag that is smaller than small and it will no longer get my gear from one place to another.

that is a 20yr old Domke J1. i have used this bag almost religiously for most of my work. depending om what i'm using for gear i also use a TT wired up 20 and a few packs. but then it still all starts with this one.

Dec 29, 2011 at 09:09 PM
AChilders

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

I actually really like the look of that bag on the inside. Looks spacious and might offer exactly what I'm looking for. I'll just have to keep my Mac in my backback and keep it in the car for when I need it. I'm going to Kansas City Photo Supply tomorrow to have a look at there Think Tank bags and see if anything catches my eye. Thanks for the input everyone. If you haven't posted yet and your just reading all this and you have experience with a bag, feel free to state your opinions and reviews. It all helps me at the end of the day.

Dec 29, 2011 at 09:25 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

Is that the one on Southwest Boulevard or the one in Overland Park? Thanks!

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:52 PM
AChilders

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

I just found it on the Think Tank dealer locator. I guess it's in Overland Park? I just moved to Topeka in August and I work everyday so I haven't really had time to explore, however I'm meeting Jonathan Knight tomorrow and buying a lens from him. Then heading to Kansas City to pick up some stuff that Wolfe's doesn't have.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:26 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

Thanks - I'll have to look them up when I'm in KC next. BTW - I checked out the Think Tank 70 UD tonight and they must have changed the designs somewhat as it wasn't as heavy nor as big as I thought. Happy shopping!

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:42 AM
AChilders

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

Same to you Sharona. Where are you located at?

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:46 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

If you like the Domke bag shown above, and you want to carry all of the stuff you mentioned in your original post, you may need the biggest Domke bag, which is the F7. Domke bags are indestructible; they will last forever. I really like mine (the F2). One thing I really like about the Domke bag is the shoulder strap. It's canvas, but not padded at all. But it has rubber strips within the strap that keeps it steady on the shoulder without slipping. I alternate between the Domke and the Urban Disguise as my two go-to shoulder bags.

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:59 AM
AChilders

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

Steve, which Urban Disguise do you use again?

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:07 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

I currently have the Urban Disguise 60. It's the original version, not the v2. In the 60, I can put in my Canon 5D, 7D (both with battery packs and L plates), 70-200 f/2.8, three smaller lenses (e.g. 16-35, 24-70, 24-105), a flash, my iPad, and smaller accessories (RRS flash bracket and OCF cord, batteries, CF cards, etc.). The only knock on the UD 60 is that the external front pockets, where I put the cameras (if the main body of the bag is filled with lenses) is not bellowed, as is the newer UD 70 v2. It still works, though. Between this bag and the Domke F2, I'd say I use them 90% of the time.

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:55 AM
AChilders

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best Think Tank bag for PJ

Are these your walk around bags?

Also, just curious about your 70-200 f/2.8. Is that the non-is version? January 28th I'm picking up a copy but I'm worried about this issue I hear of it losing sharpness after about 190mm. I'm stuck in between getting the Non-IS or the IS II version.

Dec 30, 2011 at 05:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password