Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Passion

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Passion

I've been putting a lot of thought into understanding why clients decide to book. I believe that one of the reasons is that "people dont buy what you do, they buy why they do it." We discussed that here (centered around a TED talk) https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1066844/0#10145469

I was watching a short documentary today about a painter and his passion for what he was doing was so apparent and captivating. I began to apply his 'aura' to that of a photographer sitting down at a table with a potential client. He talks a lot about his 'why'. I would bet that if this guy were a wedding photographer and gave a similar talk to potential clients, he would book the large majority of them. Here is the documentary:

Its 8 minutes and IT CONTAINS NUDITY AND PAINTINGS THAT SOME MAY CONSIDER OBSCENE. Please please please do not talk about your personal feelings towards the video. Try to focus on when the artist is speaking. Also, look at the subject as a potential client.

It got me thinking about conveying passion during a consult. I wonder if conveying passion is an "X FACTOR" in landing clients? Sure, its something that is certainly immeasurable, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:46 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Passion

Absolutely, and it's not immeasurable.

"Passion" is a more vivid word for "interest." Interest is itself interesting. Excitement is compelling. And clients who are already excited about their own wedding want to see excitement, and the vision that comes with it, in their vendors -- especially their photographer, who is literally entrusted with the vision of the wedding.

Think about the last time you bought something like a car, or some product or service about which you sought advice from or otherwise chose to engage with a salesman. If you did any shopping around, perhaps you talked to more than one salesman. The difference in the salesman's interest may have been the deciding factor. A friend of mine once was considering a Toyota, and asked the salesman on the lot about the car; the salesman said, "Well, I've never driven this car, but it's very popular." My friend walked off the lot -- not because he needed the salesman to educate him, but because the salesman didn't care about the product he was selling.

Photographers who don't have a well defined (and understandable) vision, and a strong motive to shoot weddings, may still book weddings, but if you communicate interest and motive when you talk to a prospective client -- to whatever degree is appropriate for that client's personality and goals -- you probably increase your chances of booking.

Plus, "passion" that you can define and express clearly to a client helps make you a person in the client's mind, rather than merely one of many vendors.

Two caveats, though. First, so many photographers talk about "passion" (which is why I keep putting the damn word in quotes) that it is itself hackneyed. That's why it's important to make it personal -- it has to be more than "photography is my passion," to have any impact on the client. You've got to be able to define why wedding photography motivates you.

Second, there's a fine line between excited and crazy. Passion motivates a lot of wild-eyed, stupid behavior. If you talk about passion, know where that line is and keep clear of it.

Dec 27, 2011 at 08:43 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Passion

I don't believe people care too much why you do what you do. It can make up part of the equation but i think photographers can sound too obsessed.

Clients want people that get them so any time one talks about why they do what they do it needs to come down to some practical benefit for the client.

What is common is mistaking passion for skill. The result can be that little artistic development ever takes place as we think it is happening because we feel like we are. So passion is important but it has to be in context and focused so as to drive us towards achieving real and tangible skill that will make us better photographers and see our clients buying better art.

Dec 28, 2011 at 03:33 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Passion

Yeah Chris I'm with you... It's exciting to work with someone who is passionate, but if they don't bring something specific to the table that I want, I couldn't care less how enthusiastic they are. Some of the most passionate are the biggest noobs who don't have the slightest idea what they're doing.

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:42 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Passion

@Ian -- Very well said. I agree with much of what you wrote. I think it is very easy to say "I'm passionate about photography", however, I think it can difficult to truly convey passion (like the painter in the documentary). And I think you are right on about 'interest'. Interesting people are interesting.

@Chris -- I also agree with much of what you wrote, however, I think that people definitely care about your 'why'. For example, in our homogenized industry, take two photographers whose work is similar/interchangeable. The client is at your table for the "WHAT", but the "WHY" is going to play a tremendous factor in booking the client. The 'why' makes you YOU and me ME.

The part where I really agree with you is that if your images are EXCEPTIONAL/UNIQUE, the 'why' and the 'passion' become much less important in terms of booking a client.

@Kurtis -- See above

Dec 28, 2011 at 08:26 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Passion

In many ways I think the idea of buying "why you do it" has more to do with the beliefs and ideals behind why you do it than one's passion for doing something. Internal passion on its own is hard to evaluate. It really isn't a benefit and as Ian correctly points out "passion" tends to be the refuge of amateurs as their (relatively weak) reason for everything. Passion can be a good internal motivation, but it typically has to be translated into some kind of outward, client-facing benefit to be an "x-factor" in booking.

- trr

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM
DingAnSich
• • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Passion

canerino wrote:
I've been putting a lot of thought into understanding why clients decide to book. I believe that one of the reasons is that "people dont buy what you do, they buy why they do it." We discussed that here (centered around a TED talk) https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1066844/0#10145469
It got me thinking about conveying passion during a consult. I wonder if conveying passion is an "X FACTOR" in landing clients? Sure, its something that is certainly immeasurable, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

i think you might be overemphasizing passion for a genuine expression of self(what true art is at it's core).. a guy can be passionate about selling dog shit but it doesn't change the fact that it's dog shit. what you saw on the video, with the artist, was him being open about his true self.. coming from the "why", in an outwards progression to the "what"(reference golden circle). passion is just a by-product of the exhilaration of expressing ones true self or impetus.. people connect to the self expression not the passion.

Dec 28, 2011 at 03:32 PM
DingAnSich
• • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Passion

on another note.. i have noticed your posts have become guru-like since you have given up on your individual career and become part of hoffer inc. is this part of hoffer's business plan... ya know.. becoming some type of evangelist to the herd for him?

Dec 28, 2011 at 03:59 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Passion

TRReichman wrote:
In many ways I think the idea of buying "why you do it" has more to do with the beliefs and ideals behind why you do it than one's passion for doing something. Internal passion on its own is hard to evaluate. It really isn't a benefit and as Ian correctly points out "passion" tends to be the refuge of amateurs as their (relatively weak) reason for everything. Passion can be a good internal motivation, but it typically has to be translated into some kind of outward, client-facing benefit to be an "x-factor" in booking.

- trr

Interesting.

Do you think the outward benefit for the client can just be that a passionate photographer is documenting their day? Or do you think it has to be more? If so, what are some by-products of passion that would help a client book?

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:28 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Passion

canerino wrote:
Interesting.

Do you think the outward benefit for the client can just be that a passionate photographer is documenting their day? Or do you think it has to be more? If so, what are some by-products of passion that would help a client book?

I don't think that's enough. Do a random search and look at any photographer's website. I bet there is a 95% chance that their bio page talks about how passionate they are about photography. It is a non-issue on its own. It is what almost everyone is leading with. No one is paying you to like doing something alone.

Your passion about photography in general is irrelevant. A specific interest and commitment within the realm of photography might be compelling to someone who believes in the same thing. So I think passion is sort of what makes you want to pursue it, but what you want to pursue and why that ought to matter to the world is what they are buying. Passion is internal to the business, value is external. Also, building on passion is dangerous, as passion is often dictated by emotion, mood, etc. Anything that depends on emotion and mood on the photographer's behalf is bordering on amateur work. Professionals should be able to execute on their brand value regardless of passion.

Lest anyone take exception to my amateur comment, understand that the root of the word (ama - amore, etc) derives from the statement "to do for the love of." If you do it for love/passion/whatever primarily that is fine, but it is potentially an amateurish way of operating. If you do what you do for your own love you are basically an amateur, you have to find a connection to the audience to take it to the next level. Not to say that you can't find some form or success riding on passion, but I wouldn't personally recommend stopping there.

- trr

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:50 PM
John Tran
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Passion

Good discussion

Dec 28, 2011 at 05:47 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Passion

I don't think that's enough. .... Your passion about photography in general is irrelevant. A specific interest and commitment within the realm of photography might be compelling to someone who believes in the same thing.

Agree. Indeed, it can actually be a turn off if it's what you lead with, which is why we all throw up just a little bit every time we read someone's ABOUT ME page that includes "Photography is my passion."

There are three places where you might be tempted to reveal "passion" to a prospective client: 1) in promotional materials (mainly your web site) that the prospect might read before ever meeting you, 2) during an initial phone consultation, or 3) during an in-person meeting before booking. I suspect that the longer you wait, the less dangerous and more valuable it is.

Todd's comment linking passion with an amateur disposition is insightful. I'd bet that everyone here has formed precisely that opinion about many photographers after reading an "about me" page waxing about passion. The most dangerous time to reveal this kind of information is when the prospective client knows nothing about your personality or any common interests they might share with you. They have no context, at that point, against which to balance statements that alone might communicate "Hi, I'm a little bit crazy. CrrRAZY ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY!!! WOOOooooohooo!" {Jazz hands!}

Talking about it on the phone still has a chance of coming off crazy or desperate, depending on the context into which you try to make it fit.

Ask yourself why a prospective client would find "passion" attractive. It's not because they're hoping to hire a photographer who runs around with wide eyes, drooling a little bit, wearing beads and Birkenstocks, waving arms, whisper-shouting about how magical Love is, and occasionally weeping.

Passion is interesting or valuable to a client when the client has some context within which to understand how that trait will improve the results you get for them.

It's easiest to explain how you apply self-disciplined passion to the client's benefit if you focus on explaining what you do best, which should be something unusual.

Todd's Sexy Business workshop was a massive help to me in identifying what makes me different. Or, perhaps more precisely, how I can persuasively differentiate myself.

Thanks to Todd and Jamie, I now have a brief and digestible explanation for what I do differently, and why that might be really valuable to a prospective client. In the context of that differentiation, it's easy -- actually, it's necessary -- to explain what motivates me.

I never use the word "passion," because I have come to hate that word as much as Todd hates babies. But as I explain why I pursue this approach that is different from most other wedding photographers, my personality and interests become evident. So, my wedding photography appears more personal, less generic.

I've said this elsewhere, but it's worth saying here: do a Google search for wedding photographers in your area. Go through the first forty or so, and copy-paste their ABOUT ME pages into one, long, cliche-ridden Word document.

Then, get a sharp pencil. Holding the pencil in one hand, scroll down the page, skimming. Jab yourself in the arm for every time you see a photographer say passion, special moments, or magic. Before you begin this excercise, unlock your front door, and call an ambulance so that it arrives in time.

Remember, the problem with "passion" is that it is always cliche and possibly crazy. It's best to find a way to reveal it in the context of explaining how you'll create value for the client, because it is not an end in itself.

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:47 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Passion

TRReichman wrote:

- trr

Bingo
Said perfectly.

Dec 28, 2011 at 08:19 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Passion

I'm so glad I didn't have "passion" in my about me page.

Todd, I sure hope you do some east coast workshops this year!!

Awesome thread guys, this is the stuff I really enjoy reading here at FM.

Dec 28, 2011 at 08:41 PM
DingAnSich
• • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Passion

canerino wrote:
Interesting.

it comes down to the face to face conversation you have with them and it's authenticity(passion can be faked, authenticity is genuine by definition). it comes down to the basic human intuition/instinct that every person has no matter budget, education, or experience. the same approach you take when you are looking at, and listening to a car salesman, is the way consumers see us.. no different than appraising a securities dealer, an accountant, or baby sitter.. they want to know you are personally invested , not just professionally/financially motivated (i believe the random individual is much more savvy than the marketer gives them credit for these days). what convinces them isn't what you say it's what they see in your face and the authenticity they feel in your voice. it is the basis of the "why", spoken about in the ted talk chuck posted, it's completely non-verbal, subjective, and human. the ability to communicate sincerely, on a human level, is the key.

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:58 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Passion

DingAnSich wrote:
...they want to know you are personally invested , not just professionally/financially motivated...

I think that actually comes a bit later, either after the prospect has decided to book you, or just before that point. That's because "personal investment" isn't inherently valuable to the client. It doesn't always improve the product.

TRR will correct me if I get him wrong, here, but I believe his point is that the client has to understand how your "passion" actually differentiates you from the ocean of other passionate photographers for it to do you any good.

I don't think "passion" (or personal investment or whatever you want to call this concept) is at the top of many prospective customers' lists. They probably assume you're passionate or invested -- the nature of the art-as-service sort of implies it, and the fact that we're basically serial-shooting love stories does, too. Oh, and we all seem to be unable to avoid babbling on about it.

Because it's a given in the minds of prospects who would care (and is irrelevant to those who wouldn't care), the first thing they're looking for -- and for many, the only thing -- is what else you have to offer that would enable them to distinguish you from the thousand carbon-copy PJ wedding photographers.

You'll surely turn off most prospects if you seem disinterested in weddings generally, and especially if you're not able to communicate interest in their goals specifically. But "passion" just isn't the primary worry of most customers. Value is.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:33 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Passion

Ian Ivey wrote:
do a Google search for wedding photographers in your area. Go through the first forty or so, and copy-paste their ABOUT ME pages into one, long, cliche-ridden Word document.

I've noticed this, as well. It's odd that such a high proportion of photographers, supposedly being creative individuals, all have the same ABOUT ME page. Weird coincidence, isn't it. Which makes me wonder: how much are most pros truly creative and original vs. how much of the whole business is just a bunch of copycats, even going down to the copying of shots and post processing.

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:03 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Passion

Probably people can take a look at this to get things bit cleared up with regards to "passion"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2tsJ_-yINxs

Dec 29, 2011 at 06:23 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Passion

I just noticed that this banner ad appears at the bottom of some FM pages: Passion

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:03 AM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Passion

Some good thoughts here.

If you are truly authentic.. that is, presenting your true self (in a positive way) versus some sort of mask / charade / act, people will gravitate to that. A big key is if you truly view yourself in a positive light-- many don't and many are attracted to the few that do.

Jan 02, 2012 at 11:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.