Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

RoySussex
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

After a very long delay the new Nikon CX format cameras are finally generating some activity on FM. Bafflingly however, they seem to have been assigned the honorary status of SLRs. I would have expected them to have been appearing, eventually, on the "Alternative" forum. Maybe their inability to accommodate vastly expensive Leica and Zeiss glass - and probably even older Nikkors (the FT1 adaptor is restricted to the Nikon website's capriciously listed range of AFS lenses) - makes them insufficiently alternative...
Roy

Dec 27, 2011 at 08:30 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

What is the point of this post ?

Dec 27, 2011 at 08:51 PM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

Get over it, this is a Nikon forum foremost. 'DSLR' is old think and as photographers we've got to be willing to adapt and change or become obsolete.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM
Thorsten
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

Jammy Straub wrote:
Get over it, this is a Nikon forum foremost. 'DSLR' is old think and as photographers we've got to be willing to adapt and change or become obsolete.

Exactly. If we were to take the forum title "Nikon DSLR" literally, it would become deserted in a few years, as the reflex mirror is going to disappear, first from consumer then from pro bodies. I doubt the D5 will still be a DSLR.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

The sky is falling I will put up a little wall between my cameras (my Nikon DSLR cameras!) and the computer to prevent them from seeing what's going on here. We can't have cameras with nervous breakdowns, can we?

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:26 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

A few weeks ago I sent a PM into Fred to resolve this one way or the other, but my PM was met with silence. Either a new category needs to be made for this type of camera (mirror-less interchangeable lens camera) or the Nikon SLR naming needs to be dropped and a different description of the forum needs to be generated.

Either way some changes need to be made.

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

Well.... they could simply call it "Nikon Mount Cameras", but that would include Nikon rangefinder cameras as well. Could we live with swarms of S2-users arriving at this forum?!? Could it be that we won't any longer be able to find proper DSLR posts until page 7 or 8, disconnecting us from important advice and discussions that are paramount to the use of our dear D70 or D1 cameras? I'll have a little chat with my cameras this very afternoon, preparing them for what's in store for the real Nikon-mount SLRs, but believe me; that won't be a pretty sight

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:51 PM
AndreasE
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

jhinkey wrote:
Either way some changes need to be made.

Like Roland Vink did in his famous Nikkor lenses for SLRs database recently?
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#CX

rgds,
Andy

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

AndreasE wrote:

rgds,
Andy

Sure. While he was making his changes recently my ISP could not find his website and I had a few weeks of trepidation that his website was gone forever. But alas he just updated it thank goodness.

If we want the CX mount lens cameras included in this forum I just think the name and description need to be updated a bit to reflect this.

Edited on Dec 28, 2011 at 04:57 AM · View previous versions

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:46 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

The Sony A77 is shown at most retailers as "DSLR" even though it is not. Soon there will be lots of cameras like this, without reflex mirror (so technically the "R" from DSLR is missing). But perhaps the term DSLR is so entrenched already with the public that this term will remain even as the mirror gets fixed or disappears altogether.

I bet if you ask most buyers of entry level DSLRs what this term means, they won't know anyway. Yes here at FM people know what DSLR means, but perhaps we shouldn't be so strict with the technicalities.

Dec 28, 2011 at 02:39 AM
RoySussex
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

gugs wrote:
What is the point of this post ?

I might ask you, with greater justification, the same question.
Roy

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon CX format. FM designated as SLRs?

AndreasE wrote:

rgds,
Andy

oh good, i was looking at this page last week and couldnt find the 1 kit.

yea loose the slr bit of the tag, the mirror must must be responsable for 95% of non user error fecked focus. usually after giveing the camera a good bang...

Dec 28, 2011 at 03:53 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password