Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Calibrating NEC monitor with spectraview + colormunki for...

ltlouis96
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Calibrating NEC monitor with spectraview + colormunki for printer

Hi folks!!!! Happy holidays to all. I have the NEC PA241W and the spectraview software for calibrating the monitor. My monitor is hook up to my Mac book pro I calibrate it with the colormunki. How can I make printer (epson 4900) profile with the colormunki using the monitor calibration ( spectraview) as my color.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:58 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Calibrating NEC monitor with spectraview + colormunki for printer

I don't think that is what you should be trying to do. You calibrate and profile the monitor to show you the "right" colours as best it can, and independently of that you calibrate and profile the printer so that it shows the "right" colours as best it can. The printer profile should never need to be tied to the monitor profile as the two devices are independent.

- Alan

Dec 27, 2011 at 02:23 AM
ltlouis96
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Calibrating NEC monitor with spectraview + colormunki for printer

Ok does that mean the photo color might be off from the color that i see on the monitor.

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:36 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Calibrating NEC monitor with spectraview + colormunki for printer

In theory no but in practice it is inevitable to some degree because few monitors can actually match prints precisely because frankly prints are so dull in most viewing conditions that you would think your monitor was defective if it was that dark. At least red on the monitor won't look purple on the print but the monitor red might be a bit brighter than the printed red, for example. The "white" light from most monitors is far brighter than the light reflected off white printer paper in most conditions. As an over-the-top but effective example consider that a picture of a light bulb displayed on your monitor can light a dark room but a print of that picture of the light bulb will never light up a dark room, so you can understand that an exact match between monitor and print cannot be guaranteed.

The principle is that the image file contains numbers that represent specific colours and tones in a specific working colour space (examples of which include sRGB, Adobe RGB 1998, etc.). The monitor calibration and profile combination allows you to see the most correct thing on the monitor, and the printer calibration and profile combination allow you to see the most correct thing on the prints - both without changing the numbers in the image file.

Calibration and profile are not the same thing. Calibration is basically the setting of user-adjustable controls such as brightness of the monitor or the viewing light for prints, and the profile is basically a conversion table that allows suitable software to translate the values in the image file so that they look right on the calibrated device. If you change or ignore the profile, or if you change the calibration, then things are likely to look wrong.

- Alan

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:13 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password