Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Changing Lightroom 3.5 default?

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Changing Lightroom 3.5 default?

I am not able to change one of the defaults in Lightroom even after researching it. It's probably quite easy, but I can't find the answer. In the Develop Module the Tone Curve setting defaults to Medium Contrast and I want it to be Linear. How do I change this and make it 'stick?

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:09 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Changing Lightroom 3.5 default?

I'm not very familiar with this process but in principle you make the changes you want as defaults to an image and then press and hold the alt key so that the Reset button at the bottom right of the screen becomes the Set Default... button. Then click on that button.

It might pay to first reset all of the edits on the current image and then tweak only what you want to be a new default so that other existing defaults are not inadvertently altered to something that was really meant only for that image. i.e. I think that once you have made a bunch of image-specific changes it is too late to set just some of those changes as a library default.

Warning: You'll not get a chance to make the new defaults camera-specific and/or ISO-specific - that can only be done in the Preferences\Presets menu and only if you do it before applying the new defaults.

- Alan

Dec 27, 2011 at 08:38 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Changing Lightroom 3.5 default?

Alan321 wrote:
I'm not very familiar with this process but in principle you make the changes you want as defaults to an image and then press and hold the alt key so that the Reset button at the bottom right of the screen becomes the Set Default... button. Then click on that button.

- Alan

I tried the procedure you noted above. It didn't work.

Thanks for the idea though.

Dec 27, 2011 at 04:44 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Changing Lightroom 3.5 default?

Actually it does work.

1. Make sure the Develop settings are at their defaults
2. Change the Tone Curve setting from Medium Contrast to Linear
3. Press and hold the ALT key; the Reset button will change to "Set Default"
4. Click on the "Set Default" button then on the "Update to current Settings" button on the dialog box that appears.

This will set the currently selected photo to use Linear curve but the other photos in your catalog will be unchanged. To set them all to Linear, select them in the Library Module and apply the Tone Curve - Flat preset that is in the default Lightroom Presets.

Any photos imported after changing the defaults will automatically have the Linear curve applied, and those already in your catalog will have it if you use the preset.

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Changing Lightroom 3.5 default?

James_N wrote:
Actually it does work.

1. Make sure the Develop settings are at their defaults
2. Change the Tone Curve setting from Medium Contrast to Linear
3. Press and hold the ALT key; the Reset button will change to "Set Default"
4. Click on the "Set Default" button then on the "Update to current Settings" button on the dialog box that appears.

This will set the currently selected photo to use Linear curve but the other photos in your catalog will be unchanged. To set them all to Linear, select them in the Library Module and apply the Tone Curve - Flat preset that is in
...Show more

Ah Ha! Thank you. It did work. What confused me was the other photos in the catalog were unchanged. When I imported new one the tone curve was flat so the changes took effect. Thanks very much to the both of you kind folks for helping me here.

Dec 27, 2011 at 06:07 PM
mr.jboy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Changing Lightroom 3.5 default?

Thanks for this, because I had to change from medium to linier every time.

John

Dec 28, 2011 at 01:44 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Changing Lightroom 3.5 default?

Tom K. wrote:
Ah Ha! Thank you. It did work. What confused me was the other photos in the catalog were unchanged.

This is an important safety feature. Without it you could ruin a lot of past edits accidentally and perhaps take many hours to undo it.

By the way, before making changes to many existing images at once, such as changing the tone curve, it would be wise to back up your library catalog so that you can recover if needed, just in case you included the wrong images.

- Alan

Dec 28, 2011 at 04:07 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Changing Lightroom 3.5 default?

Alan321 wrote:
This is an important safety feature. Without it you could ruin a lot of past edits accidentally and perhaps take many hours to undo it.

By the way, before making changes to many existing images at once, such as changing the tone curve, it would be wise to back up your library catalog so that you can recover if needed, just in case you included the wrong images.

- Alan

Will do. Many thanks Alan.

Dec 28, 2011 at 05:44 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password