Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Finding Nikkor 24-70 a 50/1.8G nodal points?? (NN3 MKII)

aCIDfire
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finding Nikkor 24-70 a 50/1.8G nodal points?? (NN3 MKII)

Hello, after an upgrade from Pentax to Nikon FF I´am looking for nodal points from these 2 lenses on D700 and NodalNinja 3 panohead. Zoom Nikkor on 24mm,50mm and 70mm. Before trying to research from tripod like with my Pentax accessory I´am asking if anybody measured these numbers in the past before me. Thank you. Mark.

Dec 26, 2011 at 09:28 PM
RoySussex
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finding Nikkor 24-70 a 50/1.8G nodal points?? (NN3 MKII)

http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm
This is a useful guide. It's oriented toward people doing VR panos with a Fisheye but the principle's the same. Sighting down a tube (from a ballpoint pen) is the method I use.

Note that the entrance pupil in zooms can vary considerably depending on the focal length. I keep cheat-sheets for pano head settings. I guess you could make a little graph if you wanted to use intermediate focal lengths.

BTW The NN3 will be struggling with a 24-70 2.8 - I have one too and I use both DX and FX bodies on this pano head. It's way under engineered and tends to lean inwards as the weight torques the vertical post. The weight tends to defeat the tensioning mechanism too. Whilst I'm about it the detent mechanism is pretty useless - you reallyneed to align the yaw axis by eye.

I have even done VR panos experimentally using the 14-24 2.8 on a D700 with this head. I can confirm that whilst possible - just - it's entirely unsuitable! Generally I think that they got it right with the NN5 but not the NN3: I paid the "early adopter" premium... I prefer to use primes for landscape panos, which helps. Plus I'm too mean to upgrade.

Roy

Edit. Just noticed that you're in Czech republic. I was in and around Opava and Ostrava at the end of the summer. Some great WW2 bunkers to shoot - amongst other things. I loved the place and will certainly be revisiting!

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM
jtra
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finding Nikkor 24-70 a 50/1.8G nodal points?? (NN3 MKII)

Ahoj,

podivej se na tenhle článek, třeba ti pomůže i když ne s konkrétním objektivem - a to co hledáš není nodal point, ale entrance pupil

"It was demonstrated that a lens should be rotated about an axis through the entrance pupil in order to avoid parallax with panoramic stitching. Although this was already stated in David Jacobsen's excellent 1996 lens FAQ [7], it has taken the photographic community many years to come around. Even today many sources still refer to the nodal point, but the balance is decidedly changing in favor of the entrance pupil."

http://toothwalker.org/optics/cop.html

Dec 27, 2011 at 06:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password