Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

rogerokelley

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

I am not a pro photographer but enjoy all camera's. I was shooting some landscapes with my Canon 7D and a 24mm. I seen another photographer out there who stated the 7D was a sports camera and I will not get landscape pics from it. I have always been happy with what this camera has produced. He kept bragging about his 5D. Again, I am in no way a pro but am I missing something? Am I not getting the most out of landscapes buy using a 7D? I know everyone has their opinion on camera's but have always read good things on the 7D. .. Thanks for any suggestions ?
Roger

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:03 PM
lopye

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

Sounds like one of those full frame snobs. You won't get as wide with the 24 mm because of the 1.6 sensor ... try a 10-22 mm on that 7D and you'll be blown away.

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:16 PM
chas
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

I shot the 17-40 on 300D, 30D, and 40D, as I worked myself up through the Canon bodies, and loved it. I did pick up the 10-22 after I bought the 7D, and for certain landscape shots, it brought spectacular results. But for most landscapes (not all, but most), it was almost too wide. It was great for architectural and indoor work, but I continued to use longer lenses for most landscape stuff. If you are really concerned about it, pass up the 10-22 and pick up a used 5D Classic body. It will give your entire lens collection a whole new perspective. It isn't the most modern body out there, but it still produces amazing images.
Chas

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:24 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

Roger:

The next time you see the 5D tell him you went on line and ordered a 1D X and Tilt-Shift 24L from Calumet.

Enjoy the 7D.

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:25 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

I find it hard to believe you've only read good things about the 7D. Every camera has its strong suits and weaknesses. Landscapes are not a strong suit of the 7D.

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:53 PM
InternetJunky
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

eskimochaos wrote:
Landscapes are not a strong suit of the 7D.

Good points and strong argument, you've changed my mind!

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:29 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

I have a friend, a professional landscape photographer that has produced better images with his D70 than I can with my 1DsIII.

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:39 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

eskimochaos wrote:
Landscapes are not a strong suit of the 7D.

Or the 5D Mark II. Or medium format. Or a 4x5. Everyone knows a real landscape photographer shoots with an 8x10, and the best even cast that weak sauce aside for custom super-large-format cameras using Kodak's special order 16x20 film runs.

Dec 26, 2011 at 03:46 PM
Fjellfalck
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

You cannot shoot landscapes with a cropped body like 7D!

Just kidding!.

Of course you can. I have been shooting landscapes with 40D for some years. however a 5D or 5D mkII will be better, not only for the wide angles. A full frame body will give you much more details than a APS-C body stopped down (for example caused by diffraction). But you can produce really nice landscape pictures with a 7D.

In fact even with a P&S - as from todays mountain trip

Fjellfalck

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:08 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

Hi Roger -

Someone who does a good job with the 7D and has a great eye for composition and is good at post processing can kick azz on someone with a 5D that is weak in those skills (esp. composition!).

I would highly suggest hanging around in the landscape forum for a while and looking at photos and look at EXIF for the photos that have it. There are some very good, very inspired photogs in there shooting XTIs, older Nikon crop bodies, etc. Definitely not the latest and greatest gear, but their work is consistently amazing because they are inspired. And you can't buy inspired.

Cheers,
Michelle

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

mco_970 wrote:
Hi Roger -

Someone who does a good job with the 7D and has a great eye for composition and is good at post processing can kick azz on someone with a 5D that is weak in those skills (esp. composition!).

I would highly suggest hanging around in the landscape forum for a while and looking at photos and look at EXIF for the photos that have it. There are some very good, very inspired photogs in there shooting XTIs, older Nikon crop bodies, etc. Definitely not the latest and greatest gear, but their work is consistently amazing because they are
...Show more

Ditto here, it's the photographer ALWAYS, and not necessarily the gear, that makes the photo. You might feel better about things with a wider lens, maybe 17-40, or go wider with 10-22. Or make the break to a 5D Classic and try it to make a side by side comparison. Only you will know which is right for you.

Jo

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:19 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

Nope..You absolutely can't bet great landscape shots out of a 7D.

Canon EOS 7D    33mm    f/5.6    1/4000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 7D    18mm    f/5.6    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:27 PM
Fjellfalck
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

My favorite landscapes lens on 40D was the 16-35 II - before that the 17-40.

It (they) will produce some very nice landscape pictures in the hands of some landscape photographer with the view for nature

Fjellfalck

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:31 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

I just love it where people bring out the old saying, "it's the photographer, not the gear", and then look at their gear list in their profiles and see them loaded up with the latest gear. Practice what you preach or don't preach.

Any camera from a p&s to a 4x5 can be used for landscape photography. Only you need to determine the quality standards you are striving to achieve. I print large landscapes and I determined the 5d2 is a better camera for landscapes compared to the 7d.

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:28 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

rogerokelley wrote:
I am not a pro photographer but enjoy all camera's. I was shooting some landscapes with my Canon 7D and a 24mm. I seen another photographer out there who stated the 7D was a sports camera and I will not get landscape pics from it. I have always been happy with what this camera has produced. He kept bragging about his 5D. Again, I am in no way a pro but am I missing something? Am I not getting the most out of landscapes buy using a 7D? I know everyone has their opinion on camera's but have always read
...Show more

The other photographer sounds like a jerk. ;-)

To be fair to him/her, a full frame camera can provide some advantages to photographers doing certain types of landscape photography if they make very large prints. However, your 7D can do very fine landscape work as well, and unless you are pushing the upper boundaries of print size that is possible from DSLR photography, the full frame advantage probably wouldn't mean much to you.

Bottom line: You can produce fine landscape work with your camera.

And your 7D has its own set of advantages that you probably already know about. The cost is a it lower than the current 5D2. You have a more capable AF system in the 7D. For non-landscape subjects you might find that features such as the faster burst rate of the 7D are useful. You can use somewhat smaller and lighter lenses in many situations.

I'd like to add a general comment about something that happens a bit too often in the field. It is common to run into other photographers when we are out in the field doing photography, and it is often the case that we end up talking to one another. I love talking to other photographers (as long as they don't keep me from my work!) about many things - what beautiful photographs look like, the conditions of the scenes we are shooting, beautiful places they have seen, the lovely light, and so forth. But...

... I'm generally bored silly by those who want to go on at great length about their camera or their tripod or their lens or some technical aspect of photography. I'd beyond bored by those who want to discuss the relative merits of this or that camera or this or that brand. And every so often some knucklehead wants to tell me why my approach to photography is wrong and how I "should" be making my photographs, at which point I begin to consider the extend to which a tripod might also function as an effective club... ;-)

When you run into one of these people, obstinately refuse to get dragged into this silliness. When they ask you what camera you use, mutter a quiet near-mono-syllabic answer and then remark on the incredible view. When they ask you about how sharp your lens is, point out the lovely light on that tree over there. When they tell you that you should shoot this scene at f/8 on a 24mm lens using a full frame camera, just say thanks and ignore them.

The world will be a better place for it. ;-)

Dan

(Oh, yeah, I shoot a 5D2. Whatever...)

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:36 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

I'm laughing at this thread because there are guys out there that can take better pictures than me with an iPhone. lol I use both the 5D2 and 7D and each has strengths. The 7D is capable of taking incredible landscapes though perhaps the 5D2 shines in a wider set of situations. I would suggest though the 7D is less of a limiter than one's eye and imagination.

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:41 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

chez wrote:
I just love it where people bring out the old saying, "it's the photographer, not the gear", and then look at their gear list in their profiles and see them loaded up with the latest gear. Practice what you preach or don't preach.

I think you are misconstruing that statement. Just because the photographer is the most important primary factor, it does not necessarily follow that good photographers should not own a variety of good lenses and other equipment.

The right gear for what you do is important. What the saying is getting at includes:

- A warning that simply buying stuff will not improve your photography.
- A reminder that purchase choices are best made in the context of your actual photographic requirements.
- The truth that, in fact, it is the vision of the photographer that makes the difference. And a reminder that obsessing about that will ultimately be much more rewarding than obsessing about a new lens.

I might fit your description of a photographer who owns decent gear but warns others not to rush too quickly into gear purchases. Someone specifically upbraided me in another recent discussion in almost exactly the same terms you use here. I was counseling a poster who asked about lens purchases to go slow and to develop some experience before buying a lot of other expensive gear. And a person (not the original poster) came back with a list of my gear (that can be found pretty easily - but why bother?) and insinuated that I was somehow trying to keep the OP from having the same good gear that I used.

I won't go into my whole response here, but I pointed out couple of things;

1. In fact, I had taken my own advice. When I was at a point roughly comparable to that of the person asking the question, my gear choices were a lot different than they might be now. In fact, when I started shooting DSLRs (after shooting film for may years) I did not go out and buy a bunch of expensive gear - I started with an entry-level DSLR and a single lens. That worked for me and I think it will work for others as a starting point.

2. Often when people ask "how should I spend $6000 on lenses" they are about to make some rather expensive mistakes. In a sense, I like to say that if you have to ask you are not quite yet ready to buy. Lens choices are not about finding The World's Best Lens - they are about figuring out "which lens works best for what I do." Until you actually /do/ that thing a bit, it is just about impossible to make great choices about what additional equipment to get. Starting with something versatile and a bit less pricey and shooting a lot ultimately provides a much more effective and rewarding path towards making smart gear choices that will be right for your photography.

And, finally, it really is true that what and how the photographer sees is way more important than the equipment that the photographer uses. While, indeed, many successful photographers use equipment that others might envy - though you might be surprised by some of the rather modest equipment they also use - putting that equipment in the hands of a person who has not worked on learning how to "see" will not result in photographs that are any better. On the other hand, give a fine photographer who does have that sort of vision a $100 point and shoot, and he/she will produce interesting and compelling work.

Dan

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:58 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

Yes, the 7D sucks massively for landscapes but you can use it, albeit shamefully, in a pinch:

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:24 PM
Langran
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

The guy is a snob. The best camera for the job is the one you have at the time. Sure, in theory a 5D mkii is probably better but going back a few years and the 7D would have been miles ahead of the best digital cameras so take it with a pinch of salt. There is NO reason the 7D can't be an amazing landscapes camera. If you have the money to dish out on a 5D mkii, or a 1Ds mkiii or even to go for a fancy medium format back and you want to then great but as it stands a 7D is a more than capable tool.

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:30 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 7D / Landscapes question ?

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:49 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password