Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Best back up camera??

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best back up camera??

I mainly shoot models with my 40D or 1V (film) with prime / L zooms in a studio environment ...but have a strong interest in city/landscape..which is where my film RF and G10 come in....my take anywhere cameras.

I am conscious of the fact my 40D has had some substantial shutter use..so am thinking of a suitabele back up 2nd body.

A big part of me wants to get a s/h 1Ds2 or 1D3....but another part of me says get another 40D.

However, my G10 is my camera of choice for out and about work...but has some limitations ( mainly, I'd like a wider lens...but I get great A3 prints...so happy with the IQ for my needs).

I would prefer something that, like my G10. fits my jacket pocket. But would take a small bag if the iQ jump was worthwhile!

The !d3 is about a grand in the UK...so that is my budget. So, any suggestions for a back-up that will replace my G10 and stand in for my 40D doing studio shoots...or is my request unreasonable??

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:34 AM
AlexF
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best back up camera??

Considering what you shoot I would get s/h 5DII and make 40D your backup

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:45 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best back up camera??

WoW...posted this 3 minutes ago and 21 views...now just need some opinions...or have I posted this incorrectly....Better title maybe?

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best back up camera??

Go for a second 40D.

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best back up camera??

anthonygh wrote:
WoW...posted this 3 minutes ago and 21 views...now just need some opinions...or have I posted this incorrectly....Better title maybe?

You'd get a lot more replies a lot more quickly if you actually paid for them.

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:53 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best back up camera??

Any rebel with a 35mm f2 would make a great lightweight companion with great iq to boot!

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:54 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best back up camera??

jcolwell wrote:
You'd get a lot more replies a lot more quickly if you actually paid for them.

Am I missing something on here?

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:06 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best back up camera??

jcolwell wrote:
Go for a second 40D.

IQ and familiarity makes that the safe choice....but would prefer something less bulky...ideally pocket sized
or a small bag`!

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:11 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best back up camera??

anthonygh wrote:

anthonygh wrote:

My first impression was that you expected more responses, more quickly.

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:17 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best back up camera??

A second 40D is the obvious choice. Cheap, and you have spare batteries, software, and lenses that will do the job without learing a new system.

If you want to gain new capability, then you need to decide what you need, video, more fps, better low light capability, or more resolution and detail.

Almost any choice of a newer model will make your 40D the backup.

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best back up camera??

3 min on Christmas and you expect to get a ton of replies? you need to be a little more patient

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:35 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best back up camera??

1Ds2 gives you a pro grade body and a great AF performance. It's the best EOSfun for the money. Buy a mint one and it'll make your 40D the backup camera But because of it's size it won't replace your G10 nor 40D. Keep those for the occasions where you want to go compact. For everything else you want, the 1Ds2 can't be beaten.

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:34 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best back up camera??

If you're not married to the concept of staying with the Canon line of products, I'd suggest exploring the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3.

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:49 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best back up camera??

40D are very reasonable these days...

But FF is really nice for the shooting you do

Dec 26, 2011 at 03:49 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best back up camera??

There are a whole bunch of ways to think about selecting a backup camera, and I think each can have some validity.

Some look for cameras that function in much the same way - let's say two 40D bodies for example. This makes sense for the person who wants to work instinctively and not deal with multiple interfaces, who perhaps wants to actively use two bodies at the same time (different lenses or with/without flash, etc.). In the event of a problem you just give up the ability to have two bodies going at the same time, but other than that your working practices and photographic output don't change much.

Others look for complementary bodies that provide different functionality. A number of people might have a high speed camera, perhaps in cropped format, and a full frame body. In one situation the faster, smaller format camera might function as the primary and the FF might the second or backup, while in a different shooting situation the roles might revers. (I know a number of people who use a 5D2 and a 7D in this way.) Another similar idea could be to use a DSLR with its greater IQ and versatility but attendant larger size along with a smaller camera, perhaps even a high end point and shoot.

Yet others - and I'm currently in this camp - keep their previous camera as backup whenever they acquire a more capable current camera. When I got my 5D2 I kept my 5D.

Dan

anthonygh wrote:
I mainly shoot models with my 40D or 1V (film) with prime / L zooms in a studio environment ...but have a strong interest in city/landscape..which is where my film RF and G10 come in....my take anywhere cameras.

I am conscious of the fact my 40D has had some substantial shutter use..so am thinking of a suitabele back up 2nd body.

A big part of me wants to get a s/h 1Ds2 or 1D3....but another part of me says get another 40D.

However, my G10 is my camera of choice for out and about work...but has some limitations ( mainly, I'd like a
...Show more

Dec 26, 2011 at 06:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best back up camera??

anthony -- Let me see if I can summarize what you want:

1) a camera no bulkier than the 40D, and preferrably less bulky
2) full frame or APS-H sensor
3) not to exceed one thousand pounds UK (about $1600?)
4) camera to be used out and about, including some buildings and detailed subjects

You currently have 40D and G10 as your main cameras.

The 1Ds2 and 1D3 are terrific cameras, and they are in your price range if you are patient in looking around. Either will provide far superior imaging to your 40D, and have completely pro features. Neither will be small or light, nothing like your 40D with its crop sensor.

The other option is as Ernie mentioned, getting a Nex or M4/3 camera with some nice glass. Not cheap when you consider starting a new system and not as good of IQ as the 1Ds2 or 1D3. Still, it would be small in size overall. Better IQ than your G10, but at a significantly higher price. Not nearly as pocketable as your G10.

Another thought is to get a used 5D original and use it as your minor upgrade. If you aren't very familiar with full frame capabilities, this camera will open your eyes at a budget price. And about the size of your 40D. This might be your best option.

And finally, the "do nothing" approach to IQ -- buy another 40D or one slightly older like a 30D (even a 20D), to have a back-up. But it sounds like you really want to up your game by moving toward larger sensors.

As Dan said, if you move up in IQ and features, your 40D will undoubtedly be used less and become the back-up. It doesn't really make sense to keep a better machine on the shelf gathering dust while the less capable does the work. Does it?

Just so you know, I'm in a similar position to you. I have a G10 and love it, using it exactly like you do. Then I have my better IQ cameras, and those are older 1D2 and 1Ds2 models, along with "back-up" 60D and 5D. So, I certainly can understand your inclination and types of shooting you do.

Hope everyone's ideas are helping you to decide.

Dec 26, 2011 at 09:24 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best back up camera??

I would like to know what glass you own.

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:32 PM
m-51

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best back up camera??

usualy the best back up is a twin of your standard toy

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM
HenkvdT
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best back up camera??

m-51 wrote:
usualy the best back up is a twin of your standard toy

Exactly! You don't want to lose time and focus when you need to switch to your back up.

Dec 27, 2011 at 03:54 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best back up camera??

anthonygh wrote:
IQ and familiarity makes that the safe choice....but would prefer something less bulky...ideally pocket sized
or a small bag`!

your not really making much sense when you say the1D3 is a grand so thats your budget and then say you want something small.

you also have to ask yourself do you want a true backup or just something else.
a true backup would be another 40D , actually I would say get a 50D . having tested both side by side for a couple of weeks I found the 50D to be a better camera with no downsides compared to the 40D. in the end I sold the 50D as it raised a bit more and I had takers on it before the 40D (I listed both bodies but kept the 40D)

if you want smaller then how about any of the rebel sized bodies. the 450D is a true bargain (I found the IQ better than my 40D).

going on the something different tack. (but not smaller)
5D (mk1)
1D2 (or mk2n)
1Ds2 (starting to see them about 1k now)
1D3

all the above make a very good choice where the 40D can be your backup/smaller cam (in fact sell the 40D and get a rebel for even smaller size.

Im likeing my 1D2n after having used a 40D for a long time . the 40D has now been relegated to smaller cam status (thinking about going even smaller)

Dec 27, 2011 at 04:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password