Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · AF or shutter

ioana o

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · AF or shutter

Hi,
I just came back home after two weeks, camera was at home and working fine before leaving. I went out today to get a few shots and I noticed this:
1. AF points do not show up in the viewfinder when I press halfway;
2. the zeroes from the ISO setting on the LCD panel are smaller than the other numbers (I know I read this before in a posting, but I wasn't able to find it again);
I cleared the camera settings and that didn't help. The battery looks fully charged on the LCD panel. I changed lenses but still the same problem. Shutter button does work, so I can take pictures. I don't know about AF though. I set the camera to enable AF Point Display and when I review the pics I took today they don't show the AF point.
Any suggetion?
Thanks.

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · AF or shutter

You might need a new backup battery. It's a flat watch battery that's in the side of the battery compartment. I think... It's been a while since I've had a 40D. Nice camera.

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:51 AM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #3 · AF or shutter

ioana o wrote:
2. the zeroes from the ISO setting on the LCD panel are smaller than the other numbers (I know I read this before in a posting, but I wasn't able to find it again);

Shooting normally, the ISO numbers will all be the same height. Shooting with Highlight Tone Priority enabled, the ISO numbers will display the zeroes at half-height.

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · AF or shutter

colinm wrote:
Shooting normally, the ISO numbers will all be the same height. Shooting with Highlight Tone Priority enabled, the ISO numbers will display the zeroes at half-height.

Ooooo! Good info. I guess I didn't pay attention to the you-know-what it is that you're supposed to read.

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · AF or shutter

ioana o wrote:
I did check the you-know-what but don't have time now to go through all of it. I did read the you-know-what quite a few times since I got the camera, but I am not a photographer. My job is quite demanding and when I am away (I travel a lot) I just get disconnected from everything. Thanks for being so nice and reminding me of the you-know-what that was by my side, open, maybe not at the right page.
I might stupid, not able to read, maybe didn't go to school. Maybe I got the camera as a present, or
...Show more

Pardon me.

My original response was genuine. Having a dead or dying backup battery can produce strange results.

My second response about the 'you-know-what' was prompted by Colin's good advice. It was also genuine. The 'you-know-what' comment was aimed squarely at me. I should have remembered that this was a property of the camera settings.

My job is also quite demanding, and I travel a lot. Fifty-one flights so far this year. Even though I'm very busy and it's an especially trying time of the year, I try to remember my manners.

Happy New Year.

I hope you don't take offense.

P.S. The OP reply quoted above was deleted before I could post this reply. The quotation stands.

Edited on Dec 26, 2011 at 02:48 AM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:33 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · AF or shutter

jcolwell wrote:
Pardon me.

My original response was genuine. Having a dead or dying backup battery can produce strange results.

My second response about the 'you-know-what' was prompted by Colin's good advice. It was also genuine. The 'you-know-what' comment was aimed squarely at me. I should have remembered that this was a property of the camera settings.

My job is also quite demanding, and I travel a lot. Fifty-one flights so far this year. Even though I'm very busy and it's an especially trying time of the year, I try to remember my manners.

Happy New Year.

I hope you don't take offense.

P.S.
...Show more

Can't believe you were such a jerk face lol.

Just messing.

Dec 26, 2011 at 02:48 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #7 · AF or shutter

Wow, Jim. You were certainly filled with the Christmas Spirit for crafting such a calm, measured reply. I fear I would have been a bit less... cordial!

Dec 26, 2011 at 06:46 AM
ioana o

p.1 #8 · AF or shutter

Thank you guys for all the help and lots of useful words.
Point 2 on my list... thanks Colin. Got that.
I finally got point 1 after clearing the custom functions. the fourth or fifth time. I did that yesterday after following someone's advice on flickr. Did not work. Today in the morning tried that again, no result. Only this evening, after reading the last few messages, the clearing all custom functions worked (obviously no connection). Nothing to do with the battery.
My worries were mostly regarding the fact that "someone" I know might have played with my camera, which probably happened. Or not. It doesn't matter.
Happy it works now.
My best wishes to you all.
ps If I erased that message, that means I don't want to post it. I should be given this freedom.

Dec 27, 2011 at 08:37 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password