Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Another Clogged Epson

Norm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Another Clogged Epson

Yes, I know it's Christmas day and I hope Santa was good to you.

I have a continuing problem with my Epson printers and am looking for recommendations. I have a 2200 and a 4800, both of which I have had for quite a spell. I am not a pro photographer, only do it for a hobby. At times I am away from home for weeks at a time, and it might go two months between print jobs, so both printers get very little use and it seems like I spend as much time cleaning the print nozzles as I do printing. I have no idea how much ink I have run through the 4800 over the last 2 years, but much more in cleaning than printing, and just now the yellow nozzle is still plugged after several clean cycles. I don't believe the printer is worth the cost of bundling it up and sending it off for repair. I can live with the 2200, but occasionally I want larger prints.

I need to replace the 4800 with a printer that hopefully will not clog up after setting idle for a month or so at a time. Any suggestions will be very helpful.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:31 PM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Another Clogged Epson

I have a couple of Z3100 printers that I use sporadically. I leave them on all the time, they go through a timed cleaning cycle and I have never had any clogging issues. They use very very little ink during the cleaning cycles.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:46 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #3 · Another Clogged Epson

You could try using 3rd party dye ink carts in the 2200......I found (when doing the same with a problem R1800) that the dye ink rarely clogged; and the prints were fine....and a fraction of the cost of Epson originals.

No suggestions ref the 4800

I have a R2880 now that has never clogged...and a Canon Pro9000 that hasn't either, but they don't go for more that a week or so without doing a print...even if it is only a nozzle check.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · Another Clogged Epson

Do you have a hygrometer? What is your normal humidity level? Have you tried using a humidifier?

I have both an Epson 9800 and a 4800. The 9800 is my workhorse, with the 4800 dedicated only to producing greeting cards for clients. It often sits idle for days/weeks at a time.

No clogs---on either the 9800 or 4800. Only errant nozzle checks on the 9800 from changing media.... I monitor humidity levels constantly.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:33 AM
allebaug

p.1 #5 · Another Clogged Epson

I have the 2200 for 8 years now, and the 3880 since it was offered. I can also be away from them for a month and more at times. Before I resume printing on either of them I give each cart a good shake, like they were full/new, then run a nozzle check. I've never had a clog on the 3880. The 2200 clogs more often, but has never taken more than 3 nozzle checks, and maybe one cleaning cycle per year to give a full test pattern.

I only use Epson carts.

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

I.G.I.
• •
p.1 #6 · Another Clogged Epson

kdphotography wrote:
Do you have a hygrometer? What is your normal humidity level? Have you tried using a humidifier? ........ I monitor humidity levels constantly.

+1

A more mundane approach: when I'll be away from more than a week I always seal the printer in a plastic bag, pack it as for transportation and put the box in the coolest - and preferably humid - place at home. The rationale is to prevent evaporation from, and the subsequent clogging, of the printhead. This way I have been able to store the printer (R2400) for as long as 6 months, and afterwards it works flawlessly right out of the box.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM
Norm

p.1 #7 · Another Clogged Epson

I live in southern Arizona and it is very dry here. I never thought of that as part of the problem. A humidifier just might be the way to go. Now I have to figure out how to unclog the 4800. I likely will have to buy a new print head. Anyone installed a new print head, or should I just send the thing off to Epson? Maybe I should just put it on Ebay, disclose the problem and buy a new printer.

Dec 26, 2011 at 04:29 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #8 · Another Clogged Epson

Norm,

Before you throw in the towel, give it a little elbow-grease and the old' college try.

Try puddling the parking station/cap with distilled water (use an eyedropper) and letting the heads sit for a bit----then nozzle check or clean cycle. More aggressive cleaning may require puddling the station with a windex solution. Clean the wipers gently and areas. Nozzle check again.

You can also try a half-folded paper towel, wet, and carefully run the carriage over it---shimmy it around. Make sure not to tear the towel. Puddle the cap again. Wipe blade clean. nozzlecheck/clean.

Hope that helps!

ken

Dec 26, 2011 at 06:02 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Another Clogged Epson

My Epson 2200 is about 6-8 years old and unless used weekly at least 1 color, 99% yellow,clogs everytime.
But what I do is use Windex and keep the sponge pads at either end wet all the time.
It doesnot prevent clogs but it reduces the cleaning time to unclog the nozzles.

Edited on Dec 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2011 at 06:42 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #10 · Another Clogged Epson

I bought a brand new 4800 that I and sold it (Cheap) about 18 months later as it was so badly clogged I could not resolve it, and I tried ALL the tricks.

I got a 3880 and love it zero clogs after a year. This is due to the fact it is a pressurized system not a gravity feed like the 4800. The 4800 is a great printer but it is designed to be run every day or so. My 3880 can sit for a month with no issues.

kdphotography is correct too with humidity balance helping with clog issue.

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password